Re: Myth busters?

Red heads are Hot....

Keith

Comment

Hey Keith. I hope your talking female red heads :

Comment

mine is the one where they nuked the water heaters. one blew up o about 100 feet or so in the air then they built a small "to code" house and blew it up with a water heater too. 8) 8)

Comment

<-------Redhead :-*

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          Red heads are Hot....

Keith

Comment

ahhhh Hello.... I don't live in LA... I just visit now and again...

Obviously ... Let me clarify though.... FEMALE redheads are Freaking HOT.... Do males have hair color? and why would I care?

Keith

Comment

Gotcha squirming with that one didnt I! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                So I gotta ask... How many of you are jealous of those two yahoos... I mean they get to blow stuff up all day for a living... do scientific testing on Mento's and Diet Coke...

Talk about a dream job...

Keith ( I'd hire a slug of little oriental kids to do the math on abacus's cause that isn't my bestest part... )
                I could not have said it better Kieth. I'm working on my cheesy mustache and updating my resume right now. I'm just hoping they need a middle-aged fat guy . . .

Comment

I wouldn't trade my job for anything, but that would pretty cool.
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I'll go with the Concrete Truck Exploding, Randy like Big Booms too.
                    I like the Helper Chick too. She's Hot. "Kari"

Comment

LOL im pretty sure every man likes a big boom

Comment

The absolute bests were the Concrete mixer and shooting the chickens through the plane. Absolute best job in the world. And yes, on the first show of this season they said Scotty left to start her own welding business. In that one where she's cutting the two containers in half they have a brief shot of her rig, i believe an F-350 with a utility box on back. I do have to say a shed a tear when they blew the car up with the rocket though. Why can't they try these things with a honda.
                        sigpic

Comment

A long time ago and far, far away (way back when I was in my early 20's) I was a field mechanic for a logging / construction outfit out of Salem, OR. They primarily built main access road for the US Forest Service way back in the mountains. I 'owned' the maintenance and upkeep on a large collection of trucks and crawlers and shovels, etc.

Anyway, long story made short; I spent most days sitting in my pickup, drinking coffee, being bored. To pass the time I ended up volunteering as a powder monkey on the drill crew, helping them set and wire blasting jobs. They had a couple of tracked drilling machines making 2 inch diameter bore holes in the rock which we wired up with jumbo sticks of dynamite ( 2 inch diameter, about 16 inches long ) and then 'stemmed' with blasting powder which is essentially nitrogen fertilizer mixed with diesel fuel (ammonium nitrate, if I remember correctly). Btw, 'stemming' is filling the drill bore up with powder after dropping a wired dynamite stick to the bottom. Turns the entire drill bore into a big boom stick.

Watching these guys wire shots was fascinating. Shooting rock is not just blowing stuff up - they use different time-delay electric blasting caps (or primacord, a different technique) to stage detonation to achieve the best end result. This is the large scale equivalent of a 'shaped charge'. I've seen these guys shoot rock and leave a perfect mound of pulverized rock in the middle of a big crater - saves time later on the crusher. They would drill and set concentric rings of wired charges, with the outermost charges detonating first, followed milliseconds later by each successive internal set. The outermost blast ring detonates first and serves as a sort of pressure container to funnel the follow-on blast rings. In this way they use delay and blast pressure in the rock to essentially carve stuff out of the ground. It is absolute magic and a marvel to see.

After awhile I also got to wire and shoot monster root wads, tree stumps dug out of the ground too big to load onto trucks. The idea was to use a chain saw to carve a wedge out of the stump, lay in a quarter stick of rock powder (smaller dynamite sticks with a hotter burn rate) and then pack it with powder. This would let you split the stump, making it small enough to load onto dump trucks. Somehow I always ended up using too much 'boom' and there was very little to load onto trucks afterwards. Oh the exuberance of youth. This is the equivalent of 'a little horsepower is great, a lot is even better'..... ;D

Anyway, sorry to run on here. It was a lot of fun then but I now wonder how I got by without blowing myself up. When you're young and dumb like I was you really do lead a charmed life I guess.

Comment

I sill like the boom lift catapult just for the shear scale of the project

Comment

Hmm, coming up on Mythbusters (original air date of Aug. 2007) does puting a car in reverse stop it quicker??
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                                Hmm, coming up on Mythbusters (original air date of Aug. 2007) does puting a car in reverse stop it quicker??
                                I have personal experience with this one. The answer is no, but stopping becomes much more entertaining. Tossing it into park on the other hand..... ;D
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X