I need a scanner-Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a scanner-Help!

I need to buy a scanner to deal with these newfangled EFI cars and I'm a little lost. I don't need anything super-universal as all I'll ever mess with is GM and BMW stuff, and I know I may have to deal with the BMW stuff separately. I have a 96 GMC I'm working on now and I just figured out that I need a scan tool just to set the timing on the damn thing, plus the ABS light is lit. I need to be able to deal with OBDI also but it looks like I can do that with TunerPro-I hope.

I'm assuming that I will need to be able to read/record "real time" sensor data for it to be useful at all, correct?

What the hell are "enhanced" codes and how important is it to be able to read them?

Will I always need to buy the stuff to read transmission and ABS codes separately?

I have an older laptop with a serial port that is just for EFI stuff so would I be better off to just get software for it rather than a hand held scan tool? I already ordered a BMW specific setup that comes with an OBDII cable, and it seem that the cables are a lot of the price of this stuff.

Did I mention that I'm cheap?

Re: I need a scanner-Help!

All the OBDII plugs are the same. Mandated in 1996, few vehicles have them before hand. Anything prior is a crap shoot and mostly make specific. I believe the OBDII scanner's will pull transmission codes, but they will not do ABS codes. To read real time info the scanners can get a bit pricey, but they are coming down in price the last few years.

That's all I know about that stuff.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Re: I need a scanner-Help!

tech 2 -4 grand with a candi module
      snap on modis

Comment

Working...
      X