Camaro/chevelle wheel codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro/chevelle wheel codes

I scored these later "SS" wheels at the swap meet yesterday but I can't find anything on the codes.

All four wheels are marked "K 10 3 (valvestem) AJ"

It looks like "AJ" but might be "AU".... I'm probably right in assuming that K is for "Kelsey Hayes" and the "1" is for Romulus Plant, but what I don't know is if these are "70" wheels.

All four are identical matches and if they're 1970 vintage, they might be worth a lot more than I paid for them... I just want to know for sure before I bother blasting/painting them and listing them on flea bay.

I got ripped off on the bellhousing though. $45!!!! Dude didn't want to negotiate. I guess he realized I "NEEDED" it.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Re: Camaro/chevelle wheel codes

Don't blast them-it leaves the surface too rough and they'll never look right. Ask me how I know :-[

I'll try paint stripper next time.

Comment

These particular wheels are supposed to be almost a metallic flat color. What'd you blast them with, black beauty?

I guess I could strip them then use something gentler like aluminum oxide or even walnut shells.

Comment

If those are from 1970, the only 1970 model-year car that wore those from the factory was the Camaro.

Of course, the '71-'72 Chevelle SS wwere shod with them.....I might have a source that can decode them.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
          If those are from 1970, the only 1970 model-year car that wore those from the factory was the Camaro.

Of course, the '71-'72 Chevelle SS wwere shod with them.....I might have a source that can decode them.
          I think the 80-81s had them too.

Either way, these are all twins and in mint shape except for the 4x4 tires (WTF?) and glossy paint.

Comment

This link should answer all your questions-

Comment

My 79 Z had them too.They were original.

Comment

Interesting I was just looking at those codes on my 70 Caprice's rallys. 3 out of the 5 have K 1 9, one has K11 9, the fifth has K 1 6. I thought these were date codes.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                  You sir, rule!

These are the later style wheels. 79-81, not really worth spending hours sandblasting. I'll just yank the tires, wash them and fling them on ebay.

Comment

What are you going to want for those wheels? I might be interested
                    Donna
                    Williamston, MI
                    Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Working...
                    X