The Road Course Tire Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road Course Tire Dilemma

I've got six of the Continental extreme Contact D/W tires that Fast Ed recommended for use on the Mustang at road courses. Ed has never been more right, those are superb tires in my application. Wet or dry, maybe even more wet than dry. Thank you a hundred more times Ed, I would have not known what to get!

Here's the deal. We're going to Road Atlanta sorta soon to run Red (middle of March). And then AMP in early April. AMP eats tires, but not the ones on Red. Wear rating 340.

We've got 6 tires, two in the basement, 4 on the car.

The two in the basement - one of them, I drove it flat about four miles at Road Atlanta at speed around curves hard. (I'm a rookie dumbass). It went down, a micro-puncture that the guys at the tire store "PATCHED." it was a small hole. Tiny. A pin hole. I'm afraid to run that tire again because I ran it real fast for so long. The sidewalls are real scuffed and I can't imagine what I may have done to that tire's structure, being a dumbass..

The other tire in the basement, I noticed a pretty big piece of metal in it, from driving it on the street, that tire had to be "PLUGGED." I replaced it, too. Folks said never race a tire that's been plugged.

Now, one of the tires on the car, the newest one, and they cost a bit, has a slow leak. About 10 psi per week, it's leaking. Should I just keep putting air in it and race it? I want to. Like a leaky faucet, it'll cost more to fix it that it'll cost to live with it.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Those are expensive tires I might try them next on my Camaro, the Pro Comp 2's I bought last time have done ok they definitely ( IMHO ) were better than the Pirelli's especially on wet roads and will probably end up with about 35K on them which the Pirelli's did also. Decisions Decisions!
    Hey did you check your valve stem !
    Last edited by corvettedad; February 19, 2016, 04:17 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
      Those are expensive tires I might try them next on my Camaro, the Pro Comp 2's I bought last time have done ok they definitely ( IMHO ) were better than the Pirelli's especially on wet roads and will probably end up with about 35K on them which the Pirelli's did also. Decisions Decisions!
      Hey did you check your valve stem !
      How do you check a valve stem?

Comment

Soapy water and look for bubbles. A slow leak will make slowly forming bubbles and some leaks will make foam. Windex will work, too.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Soapy water and look for bubbles. A slow leak will make slowly forming bubbles and some leaks will make foam. Windex will work, too.

Dan
          Ohhhhhhkaaaay......lemme seee.....racing wheel in Unit's bath tub, yep that's the ticket.

Comment

Use a spray bottle, ya goofball!!!! No reason for the whole deal to be under water.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; February 19, 2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

goofball!!!!
              Dan
              You know me too well Dan. If I didn't already love you, I'd make a real horrendously negative derogatory comment.

Spray bottle. Okay. Thanks Dan!

Comment

Dan
                What he said!

Comment

Could be around the bead. Use the same solution around the bead of the tire after over inflating the tire.
                  Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Just a squirt of soap in an old soap bottle or a spray bottle, add water..
                    You mighta noticed lots of bubbles when you washed Red?
                    Add soap and wait.. Big leaks big bubbles.. Small leaks, small bubbles...usually..

Comment

So If I do all of that, I still have to take the wheel to the tire store.....because it's leaking air....hmmmmmmm

Comment

If it's the valve stem just back it out and try reseating it or just replace it, steal one out of one of the neighborhood kids bike tire!

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                          If it's the valve stem just back it out and try reseating it or just replace it, steal one out of one of the neighborhood kids bike tire!
                          Well, I'm sitting here on my ass just whining like a schoolgirl and I'd never "inspected" the tire.

That tire's got a &^%$#@@#$%^^&**&^%$$#@#@ NAIL in it, of course it does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000345.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1087737

)^%$$#@!@@#$%$%^&&**((()shit

Comment

I think the moral of this story is to check your tire pressures. So many people never do. So many many people never do, and then get surprised by something like this. Like WTF? But it was there all the time.

Comment

Break the bead, put a patch on the inside after yanking the nail out.. Don't forget where the hole is..
                              A simple thing to do most guys have the shop do..
                              Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 21, 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X