Welders 220v low amp vs. 110v high amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welders 220v low amp vs. 110v high amp

in most cases a good operator can do very well with a ok machine. but i'd still go 220v

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

it's worth it to have the power and the lower utility bill.

It's going to cost the same whether it's 120V or 240V. You pay by KWH, not volts or amps. Where the savings comes in, is by using smaller wire, ect. which is a lot cheaper plus by doubling the voltage, for a given wire size, you have 1/4 the voltage drop on the same length.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

110v (brain freeze as to proper name) power supplies overheat faster then 220v machines.... thus 220v has (in general) greater heat capacity and duty cycle. A little known factoid, most power source machines (arc/tig) 220v machines can run on 110v without modification.... Thermal dynamics was the other brand I was trying to remember; they make a quality machine as well.

I think I might have the still-being-used longevity award machine. It's a miller power source from 1968; my dad bought it new and it still is the power source for my tig stuff.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I worked in a structural steel fabrication shop for 11+ years and we had 3 phase 480v Millers that could run up to 1/16" wire. I welded up the H-pipe on my car with .052 wire in one of those machines. And the welds look better than what I did with my Century 145 amp 220v welder. My dad has a Hobart 175 or 180 something welder that I like for thin stuff it seems to have real good control. But I recently upgraded myself to a Miller 252 and for home welding to me it can't be beat, its the best thing since sliced bread. Go as big as you can afford and like was mentioned before the feeds for the machine must be sized properly that is very important. IMO bigger welders are better, but maybe its just because its what I cut my teeth on and have became comfortable with. I just can't do as good with my little 145 as I can with my 252.

Comment

Working...
          X