No Hot Rods in Hot Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hot Rods in Hot Rod

Remember when you'd pick up a copy of Hot Rod to flip through and one of the coolest things was, articles about hot rods? Something somebody built out of a regular car with unique ideas, tricks, etc. and maybe you'd just gawk or perhaps it was inspiration to build something of your own?

The latest issue of the magazine named after that-type car has Engine Masters plus more about a Chevy engine you can buy, some odd pics of neat things, coverage of their Drag Weekend event and as is typical there's lots to read about new Camaros and Mustangs you can buy. Some words about fuel (good) and, oh, the Marlan Davis stuff...always appreciated except that if a guy with a famous name doesn't know how to put a starter in his car, I'm not sure how much I care about that.

Apparently these "hot rod" things are either getting really hard to find, or our new editor just doesn't come across many in his I-wanna-be-Motor-Trend world, or maybe all the advertisers selling hot rod parts (not so many now) aren't demanding that cars using their parts are featured and letting Weather Tech floor mats do the driving.

Should I really be bothering to subscribe to this any more?

[/rant]

I cut my subscription awhile back.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

I've been feeling the same way lately. Although I recently looked through an issue of MT, and was surprised at how really bad it is. Not the magazine, really, but the modern trends in motor cars.

although I'm a bit perturbed that you mentioned this subject when there's a picture of my Hot Rod in the magazine!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

If you want to see true hot rods, Hop Up magazine has started back up. They are on their fourth issue, four per year. They are expensive, $60 a year for four issues, but it is a quality mag with great pics and it's mostly articles. Even the few ads at the back are cool and look old school.
        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Ended my sub to HRM three or four years ago. I know how to build a chevy, I don't need a monthly publication to show me more of them.

Comment

For hot rods, I watch Gas Monkey Garage.

I agree about the non-renewal... there's little point.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have many years of back issues...I could pull a magazine off the rack today and find one from 1998 that is damn near identical....There was a run there when DF was doing the junk yard and low budget build thing that it was really fun to read....But it all stopped as suddenly as it began. I lost interest in magazines now that anything I want to see is on the net..
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                For hot rods, I watch Gas Monkey Garage.

I agree about the non-renewal... there's little point.
                Alright where's the dislike button! Gahh I can't stand those effin guys!!!

Hot Rod has become Not Rod that's for sure. I like Marlon's write ups, but he has such a small section now.
                If I want to see a real car I come here, or go to various other sites that have real car content and imagination.
                Hot Rod's nothing more than an ad revenue money grab now. I quit watching Roadkill for this same reason..

Comment

I feel a sense of needing to help preserve the tradition of hot rods to the next and the next and the next generations . It was the first and if I can help it it will be the last to close up . Car Craft , heres notice , if my mag doesn't get 20 more pages quicker than my subscription is out , you will be fired .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    I'm a bit perturbed that you mentioned this subject when there's a picture of my Hot Rod in the magazine!

Well if they'd like to do a full article on it or something similar, I'd be happier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gail-Jim Forbes Chevy II.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1088509

Comment

Agree, very frustrating. Even articles of modifying "new cars" (such as improving the handling of a 3.6 liter Challenger) would be more in the spirit of the rag's legacy
                      nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

When Rod & Custom closed shop I had a 4 year subscription. They gave me Street Rodder. A mag that features mostly shop built cars or cars they are having built for
                        their tour series. I did see two or three FORD articles in the last 6 mo not counting the Sunliner project.
                        I will stick with Hot Rod it will go back to some old format eventually.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Alright where's the dislike button! Gahh I can't stand those effin guys!!!

Hot Rod has become Not Rod that's for sure. I like Marlon's write ups, but he has such a small section now.
                          If I want to see a real car I come here, or go to various other sites that have real car content and imagination.
                          Hot Rod's nothing more than an ad revenue money grab now. I quit watching Roadkill for this same reason..

1) it's entertainment - if you don't like it, change the channel
                          2) they actually build the cars they race
                          3) they put a Buick motor in a Buick
                          4) they don't charge for content
                          5) in all honesty, most people who build cars follow the same path as Richard and Aaron have followed.
                          6) I'm more then a little jealous that they're using TV dollars to get to play doing what I'd love to do.
                          7) but I'm sure you hate the GMG Falcon or the GMG fastback chevy..... so your taste is, well, not terribly refined?

I don't think it will last, but it is entertaining to watch.... but then again, I watch Diesel Bros as well, so my taste continues to be suspect. Though with DBs, I laugh at the "progress" of their builds. My favorite was this last show where "they were getting ready for SEMA in a week" and there was snow on the ground while they were "getting ready" .... also, the bloopers are what make the show - that red truck that they "took the motor out of" has been a fixture for all of the shows....

it's entertainment... HRM isn't that entertaining..... not even a Squirrel bump can help them now.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 25, 2016, 12:21 PM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ditto to what SBG just said.
                            I do appreciate the variety of GMG as compared to what's published in HRM. Admittedly comparing GMG to HRM is like comparing apples and Oranges however, but it works in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              I have many years of back issues...I could pull a magazine off the rack today and find one from 1998 that is damn near identical....There was a run there when DF was doing the junk yard and low budget build thing that it was really fun to read....But it all stopped as suddenly as it began. I lost interest in magazines now that anything I want to see is on the net..
                              that is what I was doing, 96 or so. Last of old school.
                              To a lot of us that lived the real time carb to obd stuff,

entertainment is the best route today, and motor trend knows it.

I will always watch, it is so close to my age group and path...
                              it is simply fun... even when it is silly.

A more realistic approach is finding piles of modern overhead to cheaply transform the old..
                              Never enough of that.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X