No Hot Rods in Hot Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
    I feel a sense of needing to help preserve the tradition of hot rods to the next and the next and the next generations . It was the first and if I can help it it will be the last to close up . Car Craft , heres notice , if my mag doesn't get 20 more pages quicker than my subscription is out , you will be fired .

Pretty much the same here. I pick up a Hot Rod magazine off the shelf from time to time. Call it my "vote" on what articles I want to see or not since they really track their success primarily by how many off the shelf sales they have.

Funny enough, when I was in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw CAR CRAFT(!!!!) as one of the magazines in the checkout line! I haven't seen one of those on the shelf in a couple years!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

1) it's entertainment - if you don't like it, change the channel
      2) they actually build the cars they race
      3) they put a Buick motor in a Buick
      4) they don't charge for content
      5) in all honesty, most people who build cars follow the same path as Richard and Aaron have followed.
      6) I'm more then a little jealous that they're using TV dollars to get to play doing what I'd love to do.
      7) but I'm sure you hate the GMG Falcon or the GMG fastback chevy..... so your taste is, well, not terribly refined?

Reasons I hate Ass Monkey Garage:
      1. I can't stand Richard Rawlings..
      2. Richard Rawlings is a glamourous FOP douchebag.
      3. If Richard Rawlings wasn't on the show I might watch it?
      4. I like watching Aaron the beardy guy, but then Richard Rawlings walks in, and ..
      5. The gal with the sleeve tattoos and 16 kids is ok, but then, Richard Rawlings!!!
      6. Did I mention that I can't stand Richard Rawlings?
      7. I don't like ANY reality TV car shows, period...
      8. I even tried Graveyard Cars, the douchey dancing and general doucheyness in general ruins the show...
      9. Do away with the High School antics and,.... build the fuggin car?

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      7) but I'm sure you hate the GMG Falcon or the GMG fastback chevy..... so your taste is, well, not terribly refined?
      I like your builds don't I? Objection! You're out of order counselor!

I'd rather watch someone's build on here than turn on a TV and watch some greasy haired goon douche it up for max ad revenue..

Comment

The more recent shows are far more about building than anything else.... that motorcycle by their body-shop guy was inspirational. I cringed when they did the Hot Wheels Corvette - but even that was right because he took a $80,000 car and made $120,000 car for the same dollar investment....

As for Richard, successful businesses always have the jerk in the front who makes wild promises and has a right-hand guy who delivers on those promises... to me, he's just noise - but honestly, I'd almost rather have a chat with him then Aaron because Richard never plays it safe. Sure, everyone likes the builder - but they forget that if someone isn't leading then the guy in the shop is doing nothing fun or good. It's like people hate lawyers until they need one... of course, after the case is done they could have done it themselves and were overcharged by the ambulance chaser....

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Pretty much the same here. I pick up a Hot Rod magazine off the shelf from time to time. Call it my "vote" on what articles I want to see or not since they really track their success primarily by how many off the shelf sales they have.

Funny enough, when I was in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw CAR CRAFT(!!!!) as one of the magazines in the checkout line! I haven't seen one of those on the shelf in a couple years!

car craft is many orders of magnitude better than HRM because they have Krass and Bernie.

Comment

Personally if I don't like the content I don't buy it, definitely not subscription guy anymore.
            I hate to see someone say no advertisers are around anymore. Plenty of good ones that could crossover to Hot Rod or CC , you will find them in the likes of the rat rod mags that so many hate where Kool house doesn't seem to play by the rules, or Tim Suddards mag with the real car reviews and some hot rod imports.(probably the only mag that has a ad for the efi crowd that's touted so highly here). Look around at street rodder even though it's a source mag(I believe) it still has ads that could cross over. No one wants to pay for ad that's 96 pages long tooting just one horn.

Comment

Things have really changed, and IMHO not much for the better. Over the course of my time in the sport, I've built cars that have been featured on covers, center spreads and cutaways. I just completed what will be my final build. It's a Popular (think Anglia) street rod. A buddy emailed someone at Street Rodder with a sneak preview. They responded that it wasn't the kind of car they featured and suggested Hot Rod or Car Craft might be interested. WTF!

Comment

I know this sounds a bit contrarian, but I don't mind car-related ads. I wouldn't know about CPP or a thousand other suppliers if they didn't advertise in car mags. If you're willing to spend thousands on print media ads, it does add a level of respectability. I just wish they wouldn't be so beholden to the manufacturers - or if they'd simply say "we got free ______"

Comment

I haven't bought an issue in more than two years. The new editor spends more space on new, high priced muscle cars than anything else. 4 of 6 issues in a row had a Hellcat on the cover. You can sure tell who paid for ads those months. The others are right, he is total Motor Trend wannabe editor. It is completely evident that Freiburger is no longer overseeing the content.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I go for the ads too sbg. Standards have changed for many things, add cnc, 3d printing.. not even balljoints from 1996 are the moog replacement of today..the same vehicle.

I was just watching this, and realized, I was alert.. as if to be scoping an enemy...
                    watching hands, head.. and hip always reveals back strength.

scary.
                    hot rods will always have a place. Primitive as it may be and stay.

one can laugh..
                    2015 was the first year I ever had a multiport v8.
                    I never used ABS before either.
                    never used airbags.

old school everything. I did take in a injected chevy corsica in 2004... about 6 months. Gave it away.
                    believe it or not. That was my first injected vehicle..
                    I went carbed again, the next 11 years.

Not sure what is going to hang on, unless it is the chassis reasoning...the old motors are so outdone. I drool over the first year chevelles.. I love them.
                    I went all nerd, even on the obd2. Got a laptop now..msd digital on another vehicle.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 25, 2016, 08:48 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I let my Hot Rod subscription lapse over a year ago for the very reasons discussed here. Funny thing is that I still get the mag in my mailbox every month and all it does is remind me why I don't buy it any more. Hot Rod Deluxe is somewhat better, but even that is not what it used to be.

Comment

I can't vote for content . I subscribe . And really I can find my dollar a month entertainment out of it . Even if it is just the ads . I still like read all the editorials of Dave , Elana , Tom , and ofcourse Marlin .
                        Last edited by Dan Barlow; March 18, 2016, 08:40 AM.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

PeeWee - you need to buy the April issue (came out early Feb) - there is an article on the new Mustang GT350 and 350R - right up your alley dude.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

the best thing about the latest issues, is that I got to mention my mom in it! don't get any more cool than that
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                              PeeWee - you need to buy the April issue (came out early Feb) - there is an article on the new Mustang GT350 and 350R - right up your alley dude.

why do that? in a month or so it comes out online... then no need to purchase.

note the original article is MT. yeah...

Comment

Many car magazines such has Hot Rod are caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

To save their magazines they are trying to appeal to a wide range of car guy's instead of just the old school hot rod guy's and I understand why they are doing this even though I may not like it.

I attend my share of car shows and the guy's with real hot rods from the 30.s on up through the early 50's that have car for sale all tell me the same thing.

If you have a car for sale and you don't want to give it away be prepared to wait and some of the guy's have had their cars for sale for years.

People interests are simply changing right now and most of the guy's agree that right now you can buy a car cheaper then you can built one.
                                That's just the way it is right now and magazines are seeing the exact same thing.

Just my opinion.

Jim Hill
                                Nostalgic Racing Decals. Racing decals and more form the past

Comment

Working...
                                X