No Hot Rods in Hot Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
    Many car magazines such has Hot Rod are caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

To save their magazines they are trying to appeal to a wide range of car guy's instead of just the old school hot rod guy's and I understand why they are doing this even though I may not like it.
    ^^^This...

With the proliferation of internet forums combined with changing demographics of the car culture that statement makes total sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

why do that? in a month or so it comes out online... then no need to purchase.

note the original article is MT. yeah...
      Totally different article than what I read.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
        PeeWee - you need to buy the April issue (came out early Feb) - there is an article on the new Mustang GT350 and 350R - right up your alley dude.
        Phil, I guess I had it in my hand already and tossed it. Probably the last issue left on the subscription, it came earlier this month. Sometimes I would fan through them looking at the photos, most times not, because the font is too small for me to read it anyhow.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
          Many car magazines such has Hot Rod are caught between a rock and a hard place right now.
          I think that's been the case for Hot Rod ever since that Petersen guy sold all his magazines for huge huge bucks to guys who knew 'way less about what they were doing than he did and yet were under big pressure to make their investment perform (and that in a changing market). That unfortunately has been the environment for Hot Rod ever since.

To save their magazines they are trying to appeal to a wide range of car guy's instead of just the old school hot rod guy's and I understand why they are doing this even though I may not like it.
          The trick to that is to try new things without alienating your old core audience. Besides the simple matter of maybe guys being interested in what other guys are building, we might all admit it...at some point during the process of doing late nights' work and handing over hard-earned bucks to dealers and vendors of speed parts to get to where we dream our project should go, most of us fantasize for one short minute at-least that it might get some attention from the press whether that thought be realistic or not. When no car at all gets any attention unless it is a new high-HP-ponycar presented by a (bless their soul) major car company, why should I expect any kind of reward as far as press attention goes for endeavoring to build my own actual hot rod and buying and using merchandise advertised in their magazines? I should just sign up for a new Camaro...best model-type I can afford, and go on Power Tour with that. Although I hear ("hear", being as I live on the West Coast and haven't been to one since Y2K) that is what many people are doing anyhow, so maybe Hot Rod really does know more than I do.

I attend my share of car shows and the guy's with real hot rods from the 30.s on up through the early 50's that have car for sale all tell me the same thing.

If you have a car for sale and you don't want to give it away be prepared to wait and some of the guy's have had their cars for sale for years.
          It's an unfortunate (for many) truth, if we thought all our hard work building the perfect car for ourselves is going to provide a return in cold hard cash in kind by anybody else who isn't us, there's another lesson coming...cars like most any hobby are an ego-reward thing, and money spent is unlikely to ever come back. Some guys do make money, but usually not without that being a consideration throughout the build.

People interests are simply changing right now and most of the guy's agree that right now you can buy a car cheaper then you can built one.
          That's just the way it is right now and magazines are seeing the exact same thing.
          Again, we've always been able to buy a car cheaper then we could build it. But as far as the magazines go... I remember an L.A.-area radio station when I was a kid...KWST, rock 'n roll, one of the top guys but always fighting for market with KLOS, KMET, KROQ, with the intent to be on top. It wasn't easy so their tactic was to hunt, hunt...sounds changed, playlists changed...they started trying disco....losing listeners every step of the way. At the end I believe they just threw in the towel and became easy-listening and landing at a spot close to the very bottom of the very market they once sought to rule. Me I'm getting tired of Hot Rod having to hunt, hunt...I've always loved the title, I'm theirs to lose, but sometimes I wonder if that is what isn't happening.

Just my opinion.

Jim Hill
          Just my opinion too, I'm not picking on you Jim, rather I think your insight is just giving me the best set-up to put my own thoughts forward.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            The more recent shows are far more about building than anything else.... that motorcycle by their body-shop guy was inspirational. I cringed when they did the Hot Wheels Corvette - but even that was right because he took a $80,000 car and made $120,000 car for the same dollar investment....

As for Richard, successful businesses always have the jerk in the front who makes wild promises and has a right-hand guy who delivers on those promises... to me, he's just noise - but honestly, I'd almost rather have a chat with him then Aaron because Richard never plays it safe. Sure, everyone likes the builder - but they forget that if someone isn't leading then the guy in the shop is doing nothing fun or good. It's like people hate lawyers until they need one... of course, after the case is done they could have done it themselves and were overcharged by the ambulance chaser....
            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Again, we've always been able to buy a car cheaper then we could build it. But as far as the magazines go... I remember an L.A.-area radio station when I was a kid...KWST, rock 'n roll, one of the top guys but always fighting for market with KLOS, KMET, KROQ, with the intent to be on top. It wasn't easy so their tactic was to hunt, hunt...sounds changed, playlists changed...they started trying disco....losing listeners every step of the way. At the end I believe they just threw in the towel and became easy-listening and landing at a spot close to the very bottom of the very market they once sought to rule. Me I'm getting tired of Hot Rod having to hunt, hunt...I've always loved the title, I'm theirs to lose, but sometimes I wonder if that is what isn't happening.
              I used to attend a church that was the edgy church. Management didn't like edgy so they replaced the pastor with one who was anything but edgy, that church no longer exists. It's something to try to broaden your appeal, but you cannot do so at the expense of the folks paying the bills.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There is hope over the pond ;).

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well I don't have time this morning for my usual 1,000-word rant, but I got the next new issue of Hot Rod a couple days ago and...

...Whew. Far better, some bitchin' cars and stuff.

I don't know what happened last month, but I was afraid I was gonna have to start asking guys in Mo i Rana or someplace to start sending me their old car rags so I had something cool to look at.

Comment

Blazerteam - Good to hear from you! I've been working with Goran Lindgren (Dieselmeken) in Sweden as I install my new SuperPump so I'm feeling sorta Nordic. The next time you're near Sweden please wave at Goran for me. How are your projects?

And I agree with Loren - the new HRM IS better!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                            Well I don't have time this morning for my usual 1,000-word rant, but I got the next new issue of Hot Rod a couple days ago and...

...Whew. Far better, some bitchin' cars and stuff.

I don't know what happened last month, but I was afraid I was gonna have to start asking guys in Mo i Rana or someplace to start sending me their old car rags so I had something cool to look at.

funny, I got mine a few days ago along with a notice that I need to renew.... which isn't going to happen. Once they decide it's no longer Mopar Monthly, then I'll go back.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think I got it and blew thru it already . I can't remember a bit of it .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Feature cars were a 62 bubbletop Impala and a Belvedere with a new gen Hemi is all I remember - I got mine in the mail on the 3rd. as I noted it was the earliest ever received.

Don't get me going on the Hot Rod Club digital subscription crap. The outside cover was a "FREE" metal sign offer for $1.95 shipping. Yea right. Somewhere in the link there must have been a box to unclick or we're going to charge you $40.00 to sign up for something you do not want.My credit card got my $40.00 back and when I spoke to one of their customer service reps they pleaded dumb and dumber why it automatically signed me up.

P.S. - they sent me the wrong frigging sign to add insult to injury.
                                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                                X