Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyringo
    replied
    Things have really changed, and IMHO not much for the better. Over the course of my time in the sport, I've built cars that have been featured on covers, center spreads and cutaways. I just completed what will be my final build. It's a Popular (think Anglia) street rod. A buddy emailed someone at Street Rodder with a sneak preview. They responded that it wasn't the kind of car they featured and suggested Hot Rod or Car Craft might be interested. WTF!

Leave a comment:

• realsteelfreak
    replied
    Personally if I don't like the content I don't buy it, definitely not subscription guy anymore.
    I hate to see someone say no advertisers are around anymore. Plenty of good ones that could crossover to Hot Rod or CC , you will find them in the likes of the rat rod mags that so many hate where Kool house doesn't seem to play by the rules, or Tim Suddards mag with the real car reviews and some hot rod imports.(probably the only mag that has a ad for the efi crowd that's touted so highly here). Look around at street rodder even though it's a source mag(I believe) it still has ads that could cross over. No one wants to pay for ad that's 96 pages long tooting just one horn.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Pretty much the same here. I pick up a Hot Rod magazine off the shelf from time to time. Call it my "vote" on what articles I want to see or not since they really track their success primarily by how many off the shelf sales they have.

Funny enough, when I was in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw CAR CRAFT(!!!!) as one of the magazines in the checkout line! I haven't seen one of those on the shelf in a couple years!

car craft is many orders of magnitude better than HRM because they have Krass and Bernie.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    The more recent shows are far more about building than anything else.... that motorcycle by their body-shop guy was inspirational. I cringed when they did the Hot Wheels Corvette - but even that was right because he took a $80,000 car and made $120,000 car for the same dollar investment....

As for Richard, successful businesses always have the jerk in the front who makes wild promises and has a right-hand guy who delivers on those promises... to me, he's just noise - but honestly, I'd almost rather have a chat with him then Aaron because Richard never plays it safe. Sure, everyone likes the builder - but they forget that if someone isn't leading then the guy in the shop is doing nothing fun or good. It's like people hate lawyers until they need one... of course, after the case is done they could have done it themselves and were overcharged by the ambulance chaser....

Leave a comment:

• tardis454
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

1) it's entertainment - if you don't like it, change the channel
    2) they actually build the cars they race
    3) they put a Buick motor in a Buick
    4) they don't charge for content
    5) in all honesty, most people who build cars follow the same path as Richard and Aaron have followed.
    6) I'm more then a little jealous that they're using TV dollars to get to play doing what I'd love to do.
    7) but I'm sure you hate the GMG Falcon or the GMG fastback chevy..... so your taste is, well, not terribly refined?

Reasons I hate Ass Monkey Garage:
    1. I can't stand Richard Rawlings..
    2. Richard Rawlings is a glamourous FOP douchebag.
    3. If Richard Rawlings wasn't on the show I might watch it?
    4. I like watching Aaron the beardy guy, but then Richard Rawlings walks in, and ..
    5. The gal with the sleeve tattoos and 16 kids is ok, but then, Richard Rawlings!!!
    6. Did I mention that I can't stand Richard Rawlings?
    7. I don't like ANY reality TV car shows, period...
    8. I even tried Graveyard Cars, the douchey dancing and general doucheyness in general ruins the show...
    9. Do away with the High School antics and,.... build the fuggin car?

7) but I'm sure you hate the GMG Falcon or the GMG fastback chevy..... so your taste is, well, not terribly refined?
    I like your builds don't I? Objection! You're out of order counselor!

I'd rather watch someone's build on here than turn on a TV and watch some greasy haired goon douche it up for max ad revenue..

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
    I feel a sense of needing to help preserve the tradition of hot rods to the next and the next and the next generations . It was the first and if I can help it it will be the last to close up . Car Craft , heres notice , if my mag doesn't get 20 more pages quicker than my subscription is out , you will be fired .

Pretty much the same here. I pick up a Hot Rod magazine off the shelf from time to time. Call it my "vote" on what articles I want to see or not since they really track their success primarily by how many off the shelf sales they have.

Funny enough, when I was in Hawaii earlier this month, I saw CAR CRAFT(!!!!) as one of the magazines in the checkout line! I haven't seen one of those on the shelf in a couple years!

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    I have many years of back issues...I could pull a magazine off the rack today and find one from 1998 that is damn near identical....There was a run there when DF was doing the junk yard and low budget build thing that it was really fun to read....But it all stopped as suddenly as it began. I lost interest in magazines now that anything I want to see is on the net..
    that is what I was doing, 96 or so. Last of old school.
    To a lot of us that lived the real time carb to obd stuff,

entertainment is the best route today, and motor trend knows it.

I will always watch, it is so close to my age group and path...
    it is simply fun... even when it is silly.

A more realistic approach is finding piles of modern overhead to cheaply transform the old..
    Never enough of that.

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    Ditto to what SBG just said.
    I do appreciate the variety of GMG as compared to what's published in HRM. Admittedly comparing GMG to HRM is like comparing apples and Oranges however, but it works in my head.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Alright where's the dislike button! Gahh I can't stand those effin guys!!!

Hot Rod has become Not Rod that's for sure. I like Marlon's write ups, but he has such a small section now.
    If I want to see a real car I come here, or go to various other sites that have real car content and imagination.
    Hot Rod's nothing more than an ad revenue money grab now. I quit watching Roadkill for this same reason..

1) it's entertainment - if you don't like it, change the channel
    2) they actually build the cars they race
    3) they put a Buick motor in a Buick
    4) they don't charge for content
    5) in all honesty, most people who build cars follow the same path as Richard and Aaron have followed.
    6) I'm more then a little jealous that they're using TV dollars to get to play doing what I'd love to do.

I don't think it will last, but it is entertaining to watch.... but then again, I watch Diesel Bros as well, so my taste continues to be suspect. Though with DBs, I laugh at the "progress" of their builds. My favorite was this last show where "they were getting ready for SEMA in a week" and there was snow on the ground while they were "getting ready" .... also, the bloopers are what make the show - that red truck that they "took the motor out of" has been a fixture for all of the shows....

it's entertainment... HRM isn't that entertaining..... not even a Squirrel bump can help them now.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 25, 2016, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickleone
    replied
    When Rod & Custom closed shop I had a 4 year subscription. They gave me Street Rodder. A mag that features mostly shop built cars or cars they are having built for
    their tour series. I did see two or three FORD articles in the last 6 mo not counting the Sunliner project.
    I will stick with Hot Rod it will go back to some old format eventually.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• >>>>head
    replied
    Agree, very frustrating. Even articles of modifying "new cars" (such as improving the handling of a 3.6 liter Challenger) would be more in the spirit of the rag's legacy

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I'm a bit perturbed that you mentioned this subject when there's a picture of my Hot Rod in the magazine!

Well if they'd like to do a full article on it or something similar, I'd be happier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gail-Jim Forbes Chevy II.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1088509

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    I feel a sense of needing to help preserve the tradition of hot rods to the next and the next and the next generations . It was the first and if I can help it it will be the last to close up . Car Craft , heres notice , if my mag doesn't get 20 more pages quicker than my subscription is out , you will be fired .

Leave a comment:

• tardis454
    replied
    For hot rods, I watch Gas Monkey Garage.

I agree about the non-renewal... there's little point.
    Alright where's the dislike button! Gahh I can't stand those effin guys!!!

Hot Rod has become Not Rod that's for sure. I like Marlon's write ups, but he has such a small section now.
    If I want to see a real car I come here, or go to various other sites that have real car content and imagination.
    Hot Rod's nothing more than an ad revenue money grab now. I quit watching Roadkill for this same reason..

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    I have many years of back issues...I could pull a magazine off the rack today and find one from 1998 that is damn near identical....There was a run there when DF was doing the junk yard and low budget build thing that it was really fun to read....But it all stopped as suddenly as it began. I lost interest in magazines now that anything I want to see is on the net..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X