AAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAA

How many of us currently are or have ever been an AAA member? Is it worth it?

Thinking I should consider becoming a member for my 7500-mile road trip in the Chevelle next summer...
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: AAA

I have more than gotten my monies worth from it. Between discounts at hotels, NAPA, Changing the wife's flat tires, Almost every year I've had it I've saved more than it cost.

Comment

Works for us, too. The Trip Tics alone are worth it.

Dan

Comment

Yep... Never use it... turned 50 last year and Tonya MADE me get a aarp card).... BUT it does give you piece of mind while your on the road....

K

Comment

AAA is the biggest for a reason - they're decent to work with and they provide a good service. Alternatives, though, could be your own insurance company - but those are generally reimbursement type services.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have it because of the 50,000 plus I travel a year.
            I also get the AAA Plus which gives you a tow for 100 miles
            as opposed to the 3 miles for standard membership....standard membership
            is good for around town.

It more than paid for itself last year when my wife and I got
            stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

We got flat bedded to a town about 60 miles away that had better
            motel facilities etc as we had to stay the night.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I like AAA. Towing, hotel discounts, travel services. Ours even has a DMV branch inside. You get through there alot quicker than any given DMV around here. Plus, working as a parts guy in a body shop, I discovered that AAA usually uses factory or used parts to repair a wrecked vehicle. No aftermarket (read: Chinese) fenders on your Chevy.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I have certainly got the money out of mine every year I've owned it except maybe one or two years out of 12. I recently upgraded to the 100 miles of towing for another $35. Word of warning though, if you are thinking about getting an upgraded plan (like the 100 miles free towing instead of 7 miles) do it at the beginning. Because apparently once you have a tow with the standard plan you can't upgrade until a year after your last tow. I argued with several of their phone representatives about how stupid they are having a customer willing to pay them more money when statistically I get one tow about every 9 months but I had to wait another six months because I towed my car 2 miles to my house when the starter went out in a very inconvient place to change out and that kept me from upgrading > I used the arguement of "Thanks, now I have a card here that I can't use for the next six months because I want to upgrade" but it got me no where. Piss poor customer service on that end, but everytime I've needed service it's been pretty good. Oh yes, and the discounts at various places I've used quite a bit (namely hotels).
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Had it, used it, was very thankful for it. Don't have it now, but I will get it when I start to drive some of my cars long distance.

The one time we used it, our car broke down on the thruway (fuelpump) about 200 miles from home, on New Years Day. Got towed, called a cab, found a place to stay, local dealer fixed the car the next day, and we were on our way. We paid for everything and submitted the bills to AAA, and they paid us back.

Comment

I've got it. Great peace of mind for the investment. Even if you don't use it, it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by vt junk
                      Had it, used it, was very thankful for it. Don't have it now, but I will get it when I start to drive some of my cars long distance.

The one time we used it, our car broke down on the thruway (fuelpump) about 200 miles from home, on New Years Day. Got towed, called a cab, found a place to stay, local dealer fixed the car the next day, and we were on our way. We paid for everything and submitted the bills to AAA, and they paid us back.
                      They paid the tow, cab, hotel, and car repair??
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I've been a member for ten years. It came in handy when I was towing the car back and forth to the shop when I was doing the four speed install. I got a nasty letter about going over my limit of tows in a year. ;D
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm with everyone else.

They bailed my ass out a couple years ago when I borrowed a company van from my old employer to go pick up some parts I had bought. I was a bit vague with my reasoning for needing the van and would have been in major hot water when the Powerstroke powering the thing barfed an oil line and left me stranded about 100 miles away from where I was supposed to be.

After some sweet talking they agreed to tow a commercial vehicle (apparently not part of the plan) to save my hide.

I wrote a thank you letter.

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Motorcycles aren't part of the plan either, they ask me periodically if I want Motorcycle towing included.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

After saving my butt last Thursday, I have to give them a plug too. It's worth every penny. You're more likely to get quick service through them since they have so many connections. Also, it's amazing how many places offer AAA discounts if you ask.

The plus (100mi) service is the way to go. The added charges for the base service get hefty quick if you're not close to home. I heard about a 200mi service if you like to venture even further from home base.
                              Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X