Lightning Strike..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Strike..

So I live in a fairly tall 2 story house... it's older ( mid 60's ) but I love it and my neighbors... ( some of you have seen the shop which is important in my life )....

Anyway long and the short of it... my house got struck by lightning yesterday... Not a little bit... but it actually blew a hole in the roof... threw that and blew the softett board away... then of course it killed Tons of electrical stuff.... All the phone lines, Cable, Cable boxes and even blew a Cable line outside in half....

The power this thing had was WICKED COOL When it got the cable line it actually blew the siding boards off the side of the house...( okay only a 1/2" but that wouldn't emblish the story )...

Serious as a heart attack... this thing Killed anything plugged in with a cord... except my dang puter.... damn it...

K

Re: Lightning Strike..

No DooDoo! Hope all are well. I understand lightening is tough on kitties. I assume you and Tonya re OK or there would have been a different thread. Clearly, Alabama is an unsafe place to live! I sticking with hurricanes.

Dan

Comment

Glad you and Tonya are OK, everything else is replaceable.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Glad you weren't using a hair dryer or in the shower or lots of other things.

Lightning struck a friends house last spring; it knocked his chimney down from the roofline up and blew out most of the electronic stuff in the house...
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Now's when you really get to know your insurance agent - glad you're safe Keith, I enjoy reading your posts, don't go no wheres.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Oh yeah the upstairs bath outlet BLEW apart... literally blew it across the room.... Went to check the fuses and they blew out of the fuse box and bounced across the upper garage... Missing the little black car by a bit...

K

Comment

Glad you guys are ok Keith. Who would call me names if you weren't around. Well, except for Reni that is. ;D
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I suspect Reni is WAY better at that tooooooo

Comment

Damn! :o Glad to hear that you, Tonya, and the kitties are okay. I'm surprised you still have power at all after a hit like that!

Comment

This happened yesterday at Noon... and I'm still checking stuff... got power and cable back yesterday... phone service today and I'm just getting to the air conditioners and stuff now... Looks like it got the shop air unit.... ( damn now that's a crying shame eh.... Hmmm )

Comment

Hey......

maybe Brian will come over and undo your shorts......... ;D

Glad no one was hurt
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Wow, I'm glad you're okay.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                          This happened yesterday at Noon... and I'm still checking stuff... got power and cable back yesterday... phone service today and I'm just getting to the air conditioners and stuff now... Looks like it got the shop air unit.... ( damn now that's a crying shame eh.... Hmmm )
                          Home Depot is going to love your ass when all of this is said and done. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                            Now's when you really get to know your insurance agent -
                            ...and find out what insurance companies are in business for. It's not charity. From the land of earthquakes and fire comes these words: They'll get out their smiles and checkbooks to get rid of you for a lowball amount. If you want the real moneym dig in and plan on a war of attrition. What they give you they'll get back in four years by jacking your rates. You are now a higher risk (of a lightning strike...) 'cause it happened once.

Hope I'm wrong! ;)

Comment

Well there ya go... I've got several policies with these guys... it should be fine...

Interesting though I did roofing for a while after Hurricane Opal... and frankly I got to know all the companies fairly well... USAA was by far the best... ( not my company by the way )... and State Farm was far and away the worst... keep in mind I'm a pure contractor back then, so to them I was an adversary... ( yeah I know... splain that to me again Lucy? )

I'm kind of surprised you guys would worry about "us" though... honestly... it's just lightning... yeah it kills folks... but not in thier houses ... ( I'd suspect ).... for Tonya and I we were both out and about... but I'd loved to have been down in the shop when this happened... it had to have been wicked... My Insurance guy was surprised at how happy I was... and it was like... " Dude... what I am going to do about it? " it's all just stuff... I mean sure the kitties look like Angora's for a while...but other then that... it's a blast finding the damage...

Comment

Working...
                              X