Burnt LG 50" LED TV, Read This If You Own a LED TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt LG 50" LED TV, Read This If You Own a LED TV

So my friend bought this LG 50" LCD/LED TV 2yrs ago, and it crapped out about a week ago.
    He bought a new TV and gave me this one, so I dug in and found out what was wrong with it...

I started with the flashlight test. It passed this test meaning the screen displays an image, but the backlight circuit failed.

I laid it down, and started disassembly...

With the back cover removed, I tested PSU and LED driver circuit. Both checked out fine.

Next I pulled the LCD screen and the diffuser panels, and found this.. Hmmmmmmm......

If I'm not mistaken I'd say this LED strip looks a little burnt...

Yep, I'd say that LED strip is KFC extra crispy..

I tested the remaining LED strips. Half of them work the other half don't.
    Next order of business is to order a LED strip repair kit...
    It costs about $60-$100 for the kit depending on where you buy it.

This is a very common problem with LG LED TV's made over the last few years.
    LED strips that are burnt like this can be attributed to the backlighting being set at 100%.
    This can happen to any and all LED TV's regardless of price and/or brand name or model.
    Check your backlight settings if you want your LED TV to last, and turn them down if they're at or near 100%.

I'll post pics of the TV after I get the LED kit installed.

a bonus to the burn..
    no torture in an electric bill hidden by tungsten resistance.
    LED cannot hide an error.

Still better than any past tv.

one is advertising using a glass front end again as well...
    saw on the football game ads.

better thermal.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

That's awesome modern day troubleshooting in today's throw out and replace mentality.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        That's awesome modern day troubleshooting in today's throw out and replace mentality.
        ^^^^^^^ Absolutely. WOW.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I've had a laptop computer from my last deployment I've been holding on to for such an occasion. Time to go dig it out and try this for myself. Thank you for this!
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

While I'm waiting for parts I figured I'd clean up the burnt spots on the chassis, and clean and repair the reflector panel.

I started by cutting out the burnt and melted areas of the plastic which also relieved some of the warpage..

I needed something to patch up the cut out areas. These vinyl Summit Racing decals should do the trick.

I made small patches out of the blank portions decals. Looks like they're gonna work fine.

I cleaned the burn residue off the chassis. Those LED's got hot enough to discolor the metal.

Now I play the waiting game. I'm hoping the new strips show up next week. We shall see...

Comment

Where is this backlight setting on the menu...and what about computer monitors
              Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
              The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Hey this is great! I thought these things had to get tossed no matter what. I will keep this in mind should the situation arise!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                  Where is this backlight setting on the menu...and what about computer monitors
                  Backlight = brightness. It won't be listed as backlight in the menu.

The backlight settings should be lowered on computer monitors, but it mostly effects Large TV's.
                  Last edited by tardis454; March 20, 2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I checked both of ours (one Sony and one Samsung) and they actually did say "backlight" so we lowered the settings. Very interesting post, thanks.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Thanks.....
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                        I checked both of ours (one Sony and one Samsung) and they actually did say "backlight" so we lowered the settings. Very interesting post, thanks.
                        Yeah some do, the TV I'm repairing does too. I figured Big Dave couldn't find it in his TV menu is because it may not be listed as backlight.

Comment

Nice to see someone with the old school troubleshooting patience. It is hard to find in anyone these days, especially with the younger 'just throw it away' mindset as was mentioned before. I can attest as I am the charge of Tech Training for the U.S. for our comapny and have been doing this type of work for almost 40 years. Most of the techs that have this abilty are at least 40+ years old as the newer ones wnat to work on computer design, etc. and don't have the patience. Kee up the tradition!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brewer View Post
                            Nice to see someone with the old school troubleshooting patience. It is hard to find in anyone these days, especially with the younger 'just throw it away' mindset as was mentioned before. I can attest as I am in charge of Tech Training for the U.S. for our company and have been doing this type of work for almost 40 years. Most of the techs that have this ability are at least 40+ years old as the newer ones want to work on computer design, etc. and don't have the patience. Keep up the tradition!
                            Oh I plan on it. I take stuff apart because I'm a cheap bastard who hates spending money, and throwing away good stuff. This logic applies to cars too. I always try to repair a part first before buying a new one. Electronic devices are not one of my strong points, but I have a decent idea of how they work. I'll end up with a $500 50" LED TV for $92 after I finish this repair (so long as I don't somehow crack the LCD screen in the process 'knock on wood').
                            The LED strips are on the way, I should be getting them Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

So, I got the LED strips today, and,.. the fugging asshalf seller wrapped all of them in tissue paper! The strips are held in with an adhesive backing, and when you put tissue paper on them, and try to remove said tissue paper is ruins the backing, on ALL OF THEM! The seller is in South Carolina, and I had some choice words regarding his intelligence or lack of after seeing how he wrapped adhesive backed strips in TISSUE PAPER! I contacted the seller with photos and the question of what the hell possessed him to wrap adhesive backed LED strips in fugging tissue paper! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! And here I was hoping to have this TV fixed tonight... If the seller doesn't resolve the issue then I may have to file an eBay dispute..

WTF, seriously, WTAF?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X