Gas Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Motors

I haven't had anything to do with a gas engine for years (make that 1970). We were doing some chassis work on a C Gas car last week and I noticed that they had tapped holes in the sides of the water pump and had run -6 lines back to the block drain holes. They had also run a -8 line from the thermostat housing to the back of the intake manifold.
    I called the engine builder and ask him what the hell he was doing. It seems that by running the water back under the bottom of the heads he cools the bottom of the heads and he can raise the compression ration ratio, and by running the line from the front of the manifold to the back he does away with the lock and hot spot that occures in small block
    Chevy's.
    Th's might be normal stuff and but what the hell, if we don't share, nobody knows.

Re: Gas Motors

I've thought about putting water into the back of my heads under boost to further cool the chambers. How much experimentation have people done with this?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

We have run water cooling lines in the head. Nothing near as elaborate as the poster describes

sigpic
      Bluebaugh Racing
      Phoenix, AZ
      http://www.worldsfastestorganization.com
      http://www.1320racer.com

Comment

Originally posted by jfuelracer
        I haven't had anything to do with a gas engine for years (make that 1970). We were doing some chassis work on a C Gas car last week and I noticed that they had tapped holes in the sides of the water pump and had run -6 lines back to the block drain holes. They had also run a -8 line from the thermostat housing to the back of the intake manifold.
        I called the engine builder and ask him what the hell he was doing. It seems that by running the water back under the bottom of the heads he cools the bottom of the heads and he can raise the compression ration ratio, and by running the line from the front of the manifold to the back he does away with the lock and hot spot that occures in small block
        Chevy's.
        Th's might be normal stuff and but what the hell, if we don't share, nobody knows.
        they do alott of that on dirt late model and sprint cars

Comment

From what I was told it is a sprint car deal. But after thinking about it, I bought a 95 Z-28 for my daughter a few years ago, and actually in theory it was cooled exactly the same way.

Comment

That started on 18degree heads ... basically it's just water return from the back of the block and water feed to between the 2 center cylinders.... there is also a small -3 or -4 line in the head getting water across the head back to the intake there...

I'm got this set up on a couple of engines now... works fine...

K

Comment

This system has been in use in NASCAR engines for the last decade at least. It grew gradually from -4 lines to now where all the water goes in through the block between the center cylinders. The Hendrick Engines in house water pump on the SB 2.2 has the water passages to the front of the block blocked inside the pump, and the " valley cover" under the manifold provides water return from the back of the heads. Not certain about the R07 and others, but I'm pretty sure the others (Dodge, Ford and Toyota) do it this way too. vic
              vic NASCARland

Comment

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                X