maybe buying a new toy now with poncho big block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe buying a new toy now with poncho big block

yup some one is really interested in my 01 grand prix GT and is considering trading me a 1979 el camino with 31,000 miles. 200 chevy v6 and get this 3 on a floor manual one of the rarest options ever. the car just screams base model. nothing is power just an A/M radio and heater only car

so any one out by saline michigan? it;s west of detroit not sure if or when i will be going

Edit: seems like the sunday or monday after easter weekend the 3rd or 4th
    Click image for larger version

Name:	elco1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1092778

Name:	elco2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1092779

Name:	elco3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1092780

Name:	elco4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1092781

Name:	elco5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1092782

Last edited by Mater; March 23, 2016, 09:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

A stick on the floor is definitely rare. My 79 Malibu had buckets and a console shifter, but it was an automatic. It was one of the only ones like that I have ever seen.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Sweet . I had an 86 Elco 3 times . Bought with a chevy V6. Same block as a 4.3 but it was smaller. I put my 300 horse 350 and put 255 x 50 x 15s on 70 Z28 wheels . Wish I had it back....again . I'd get that asap.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

i figure the 94hp 200 is the perfect thing to relearn how to drive stick on.

last time i had to drive a manual was my 85 iroc-z with the one year only option of the 305 4bbl with the 5 speed

i have a tendency to buy rare cars that are worth nothing. like my 92 lebaron with the white leather interior (only 500 of those where made from 1990 to 1992) it was rare because no one wanted that option to the point Chrysler just shoved that interior in the last 100 cars built for dealer stock (not custom ordered) in 92 regardless of trim. base models where not suppose to have leather it was not a selectable option when ordering but my base model convertible ended up with leather and white leather at that because chrysler wanted to use up stock LOL

my 94 caprice was a classic LTZ 9C1 detectives car. all the luxury of the civilian model but with the handling and LT1 power of the police cruiser
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I'd get that and add a bigger V-6 or 8 with a 4 or 5 speed and drive the wheels off it!

Comment

i have an oldsmobile 350 i have been wanting to build up for 12 years been collecting parts for it. it was originally going to go into my 82 Grand Prix. i think i finally found a wrapper for it. just need to find a manual that can handle the torque (about 500+)

my plan for trans originally was just a THM400 with a GV. now i need to research some manuals that can live with that kind of power

Comment

Seems like the new McLeod trans has about the right specs and shift lever location, but no one seems to know if they are any good or not. Of course you'd need another rear end too...by then you might just as well do it all to something more common that doesn't have that amazing low mileage on it, and just buy a clutch linkage set or use the TH400. This one, as-is, looks like a great beater to just run around in...unless the reason for that low mileage is, it sucked driving it with the three-speed... I could see just sticking a Saginaw or T-10 in there for a big improvement.

Comment

the guy i am getting it form is the second owner. the person he bought it form got it form his grandpa who bought it new. and he just let it sit for 15 years because he did not know how to drive stick and hated the lack of power

and this was the only one i have been able to find that still has rear frame rails close to me for a reasonable price. wile it;s clean and kind of cool i suspect it;s not a vary good car with only a 3 speed and 94 HP. i am assuming it has the 2.9 rear gear so it;s going to be a dog

i have confirmation it has the manual steering box.

and it has one option i can not believe i did not see it at first. it has the sport mirrors
                Last edited by Mater; March 21, 2016, 07:34 AM.

Comment

That's really nice. I probably would put some new wheels on and drive it like it is for a while. Yep, 200 cu in, you'll do a lot of shifting!
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I would not torture that with big horses.

the 3 on the floor..
                    I drove a 305 with one, and it played with narrowband. 25-30 mpg.
                    The car was a strange purple, almost black sometimes...

I see that same bizarre color in the photos.
                    Was it always v6?
                    small world you know.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I was thinking 18" crager DS or similar steelies. Same ones on Buford

Comment

DO IT! DO IT NOW!
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Nice little rig. They're getting harder to find in decent shape, especially un-hotrodded
                          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                            I would not torture that with big horses.

the 3 on the floor..
                            I drove a 305 with one, and it played with narrowband. 25-30 mpg.
                            The car was a strange purple, almost black sometimes...

I see that same bizarre color in the photos.
                            Was it always v6?
                            small world you know.

it's dark brown metallic and has always been a v6. it;s been in michigan sense it rolled off the line

Comment

Buick 4.1 V6 with a T5 ought to make it fun to drive and not too far off of stock. T-5 into a G-body used to be common.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X