No announcement yet.

Ditch the spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh...now that you mention spare tires....was going to drive wife's Dart today, it had a flat!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What if...we only exist in a labatory with wonderful visual aids...and merely are monkeys in a study....

Comment

Had a 87 GTA trans am for 14 yrs . Had a flat once . Pulled the spare out and it was on of those you aired up with a bottle of carbon dioxide or nitrogen . Went to inflate the space saver and it inflated and looked like a funnel . It wouldn't even go on the car. The vette I have now (87) its underneath in back . Now if I could get it out , it being a space save, what am I going to do with the flat if I'm on a trip with luggage? I thought about taking it of but , I think it would negatively effect the weight balance and yhe the car would "push"more in the corners .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I recently invested in a full-sized (even matched) wheel for Red's spare tire. And it stays in there because it's very much a part of the rear-end collision structural integrity of the stock Mustang, down inside that trunk hole. Individual results may vary.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Pdub, your new brakes are good.... but not that good ;)
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              Pdub, your new brakes are good.... but not that good ;)
              Oh, they are VERY much that good downtown. Or in a conga line on the interstate. Picture it...WHAM! Oh yeah, they are REAL good when the astute driver behind me is on a cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                I recently invested in a full-sized (even matched) wheel for Red's spare tire. And it stays in there because it's very much a part of the rear-end collision structural integrity of the stock Mustang, down inside that trunk hole. Individual results may vary.
                I'm not investing in any full size rear end collisions down inside the trunk hole... just sayin. I thought you were in HR?

I'm a little bit surprised it fit a full size tire in the optional tire size. That's out of character for Ford. Good news!
                Last edited by Beagle; March 23, 2016, 04:05 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

I'm not investing in any full size rear end collisions down inside the trunk hole... just sayin. I thought you were in HR?

I'm a little bit surprised it fit a full size tire in the optional tire size. That's out of character for Ford. Good news!
                  What the heck does HR have to do with a trunk hole? (Don't answer, I know where you were going.)

But my car will stop faster than most cars will with those brakes on it. Nearly the only fun I had at the most recent track day, I drove up to the ass end of a Porsche 911. Somebody rich, having as much fun as we were, all of us out on the track. So, I drove up to him, out-braking him. I don't think he knew how to use the brakes, or I would have never driven up to him. But he sure knew how to use the throttle, he did know that. Down the hill into 10A, he'd go brake brake brake brake brake brake brake brake, the lights were on for a quarter mile. You'd think he was driving a school bus or something. I'd drive up to him and THEN use the brakes, all of them. I'm staying back a little bit, I don't want to repaint the spoiler on a $120K car.

I'm on his ass, and then when the road straightened out, he'd hammer it and drive away from Red using all of that horsepower he's got. Like a dance, over and over. Lap after lap. He never let me by. Him throttle, me brakes. He should have let me by when I drove up to him. We're not racing, we're just driving as fast as we can on a race track. When a car comes up behind you, let it by. That's the protocol. That's the procedure.

Comment

I've only suffered 2 tire catastrophes that couldn't be fixed with a good plug kit and a source of air.

The first was the aforementioned CJ7 blowout, otherwise good tire split instantly from bead to bead in a straight line. (I now know just how quickly a CJ can change lanes without rolling from that instance.)

The second one a trailer tire tossed its tread carcass while leaving the inner structure intact along with some belting. The rest of the belting went with the carcass, mangling the fender and pinching off the surge brake line, but I digress. A plug would have done no good as the tire itself was still inflated, and we actually limped the whole rig a few miles to the nearest restaurant for the wife and kids to eat while we installed the spare.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                    X