The Helmet, The Dadgum Helet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Helmet, The Dadgum Helet

You've got 2010, you've got 2015. It's a dadgum helmet, and I'm a complete novice just trying to have some fun in a car. (This is a rant, by the way) Helmets cost money. They keep changing the rating on them so they can keep selling them. Its a dadgum helmet. It protects your head. That's what it does. I'm all for that. Every bit of it. .......But they want to sell you another one, later on - yours is not so good anymore.

I've got this one, $300. The real deal, used it to play not-real racing games quite a few times:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helmet.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1095457

Got a sticker every time I went to an event with that one. The rest of the stickers are on the other side. It's stickered all over. So....had to get a new helmet because that one was too old. I've got a new helmet, but I'm not buying the need for a new one. Although we HAVE bought new ones. One for me and one for Unit for the road courses. Helmets, life support, I'm in, but it's a racket. Just saying, the rules. I'm not believing the helmet ratings, since I like to stir trouble anyhow. That's bullshit, that's just cash flow for the helmet manufacturers.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Just like seat belts.. 5 points have dates on them... Thankkfully derby does not require up to date seat belts and helmets..
    The kid bought a new one 2 years ago to replace his beat up one.. Same brand same size.. DOES NOT FIT!

Comment

Actually there's a reason for it - a couple of reasons, really.

1) First of all they learn new ways to make them safer (technology marches on) so new ones protect better than the old ones.

2) Second, the helmet shell gets brittle after a while. If you've ever worked with an old Corvette you know what I'm talking about. I don't know if the carbon fiber ones carry a longer "viable" date (out of my price range). So in order to keep your noggin in one piece they have an expiration date.

There really IS a reason.

The deal with harnesses isn't the belting, it's the stitching. That's why some harness makers will recertify belts for a while - they inspect the stitches as well as look for chafing, etc. on the webbing. I've heard tales that it's possible to get them restitched though I've never heard of it actually being done - I'd guess it isn't cost-effective.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; April 3, 2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Also in derby, you need to be kept in your seat, helmets are mainly "bump pads"
        If you are going to barrel roll or hit a wall at speed, then a new hat nd belt will definitely be required
        I think "Blizzard Bash" held in Kansas in middle of winter requires in date helmets and belts

Comment

Just to add about carbon fiber, at our mill hard hats have a 5 year expiration but if you won't to splurge on your on and buy a carbon fiber one there's no expiration on it. Not sure about helmets I would think maybe?
          Last edited by corvettedad; April 3, 2016, 08:27 PM.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Actually there's a reason for it - a couple of reasons, really.

1) First of all they learn new ways to make them safer (technology marches on) so new ones protect better than the old ones.

2) Second, the helmet shell gets brittle after a while. If you've ever worked with an old Corvette you know what I'm talking about. I don't know if the carbon fiber ones carry a longer "viable" date (out of my price range). So in order to keep your noggin in one piece they have an expiration date.

There really IS a reason.

The deal with harnesses isn't the belting, it's the stitching. That's why some harness makers will recertify belts for a while - they inspect the stitches as well as look for chafing, etc. on the webbing. I've heard tales that it's possible to get them restitched though I've never heard of it actually being done - I'd guess it isn't cost-effective.

Dan

I agree with you as far as the 2nd reason, the first reason.... there is a show I saw that talked about helmets - and outside of the chin protector, they haven't changed much since the 70s. They talked about newer helmets and the basic deal is air flow, but as far as design, material, and safety - they're doing it about the same as they did in the 70s. What has changed is football helmets - but motorcycle helmets... not so much (including race helmets).
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

the energy absorbing part is foam, eh? what does foam do over time?

Drag racing they let you run a 2005 helmet still, but not for long. I need a new one, mine is ten years old.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pretty much all I know about helmets I learned at a seminar put on by Arai at one of our meets a few years back. The Arai rep pointed out some subtle but significant changes in shell design (like how thick various areas are, type of resin, etc.) that have been changed over the years as they have learned more. And Jim's right - the foam padding has a definite lifespan though I can't recall how long that is. Following the seminar I dropped the Big Bux and bought an Arai. ME said that my noggin is worth it - what's yours worth?

Dan

Comment

ME said that my noggin is worth it - what's yours worth?
                  $10

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    the energy absorbing part is foam, eh? what does foam do over time?
                    It crosslinks.

OK, that probably doesn't mean much if haven't had a bit of chemistry or material science. Let me see if I can boil down what's going on here.

The foam is made from expanded polystyrene. Mixing up this is kind of like making an epoxy as you mix two chemicals together, but it is a bit different as it also foams up when you mix it. The two chemicals are what's called a styrene monomer and a catalyst. The catalyst causes the molecules of styrene monomer to link up and join together to make something that you can think of as microscopic plastic spaghetti. The catalyst goes fastest right when you mix things together and its effectiveness drops off, but it never stops working entirely and will keep linking up the styrene monomers until it runs out of places to link.

Now, think of what happens when you leave a bowl of real spaghetti on the counter overnight, without any sauce. The strands stick together, and the whole thing becomes more solid. The strands can't slide past each other anymore, making the mass of spaghetti a bit stiffer. In polystyrene, the strands actually merge together, as if your spaghetti has somehow become plastic netting and will eventually fuse into a giant solid piece of macaroni. This solid macaroni helmet is no longer as soft and energy absorbent as it was when it was new.

Comment

I KNOW old helmets are no good in a derby.. Forgot mine and borrowed one from a biker friend who rode to watch me run..
                      It was one of the very early metalflake helmets.. My forehead had an angry red crease in it..
                      Needless to say.. I make sure the kids always have their helmets, neck braces and gloves.. I only wore a helmet.

Comment

That explains a lot, Bob!

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 4, 2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

That explains a lot, Bob!

Dan
                          Sure does.. Also while I was a baby, mom was going after dad at the bar and dropped me on the rail tracks when she stumbled...

Comment

There's some good 'splainin' done here. Did I ever say I love BS? Well, I do. The helmet. Of COURSE I needed a new one and I didn't even know why. Thanks, guys!

Now, splain me why Red and I got our doors blown off and embarrassed at Road Atlanta the last time out. By Corvettes and Porches. No, don't bother to splain that one. I'm glad I got to see that through the windshield, not everybody gets that view of it. I hate I slowed them down, they had paid as much money as I had paid to be out there, and I was just in the way. But our money (the same amount) was a lot more than their money (infinite) to be out on the track, so I consider that a lesson learned.

If you're a midget, don't play football with the Big Boys. Really nice folks, all of them. Honestly. Everybody at a track day is nice. I'm here bitchin about a helmet and they've got the price of a really nice house in a car, and they can drive them.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I was on track some time ago at Road America for a lunch-time touring session. They were letting you run what ever speed you want, just no passing in the corners, and no passing the pace car, which BTW was hauling ass.
                              I got passed by a few crazy money cars on the straights, holly sh!t, those exotics are something to see on a track, and yes through your rear-view/windshield is the best view! 'specially when your foot is pressed firmly on the floor, and they zip by making all kinds of noise like your basically an orange barrel on the freeway.

I just bought a new Car Helmet last year to get on track, haven't even used it yet, it's just sitting there taunting me. I've also come to the realization that I need a new Motocross helmet too, Ugh!
                              Last edited by mike343sharpstick; April 5, 2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X