Cars & Cones Road Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars & Cones Road Tour

The reason hotrodders come to these forums is for information…about suspension, engines, tires, brakes, wiring…ect.
    The reason hotrodders drive and race their cars is to have fun…and to determine if the changes they have made are actually an improvement.
    Imagine if there were an event that combined the two…an event where you would have direct, LIVE access to experts in the suspension, brakes, engine, (and several other fields); you could get them to look at YOUR car in person, ask their advice, potentially TRY their advice, then ask more questions (in person) about the results of that advice.
    The Cars & Cones Road Tour might just provide that chance for you. The Tour starts on Monday May 2 at the DSE shop in Charlotte, NC, and ends on Friday May 7 at the RideTech shop in Jasper, IN. At each stop, we will be doing 4-5 hours of autocross fun, then retiring to the day’s sponsor’s facility for dinner and socializing. The next morning, we get up and drive 2-4 hours to the next stop…and repeat. Find out more here: http://www.fm3roadtrip.com/
    Here is a short list of the people who will be on the tour, and what they might be driving:
    Bret Voelkel, RideTech – (somebody has to be first on the list,right?) ’70 Buick GSX
    Building cars since 1979, building suspensions professionally since 1996, driven many hotrods across the country, driven several thousand autocross laps…I still LOVE to talk about cars and try to help people improve them.
    Kyle Tucker, Detroit Speed – ’65 Nova
    GM suspension engineers Kyle and Stacey Tucker started DSE on the back of a pro-touring ’69 Camaro that they put THOUSANDS of highway miles on. They might be best known on an autocross track, but they also know exactly what it takes to make your car happy on the highway.
    Rob McGregor – No Limit Engineering – ’65 Mustang
    A mechanical engineer who spent time on the TRD Toyota racing program many moons ago, Rob has likely put more highway miles on a motorcycle and/or a hotrod than many of us put on our daily drivers. Rob is a real common-sense guy that tries to find the most efficient solution to your problems.
    Chris Smith – Smitty’s Custom Automotive – ’70 Camaro StreetGRIP car –
    While he is now known as the driver of the 48-HR Corvette and the RideTech shock tuner, he also builds lots of fast reliable hotrods in his Tiffin, OH shop. There is little Smitty can’t fix or prevent from breaking…a totally dedicated hotrodder who thrives on helping other hotrodders.
    Britt Marolf – RideTech – 48-HR Camaro – Brit is the RideTech Special Projects engineer. He has 2.5 small children so he doesn’t get out much, but when he does, his autocross competitors know about it! Britt is also the guy to talk to if you want to build an all-wheel-drive Gen 3 Camaro…he knows all the ways that don’t work! Shock expert, air suspension expert, electronics expert…he’ll make your head swim with information that you never knew existed.
    Chad Reynolds – bangshift.com– ’72 Chevelle StreetGRIP car – Some of you know him as one of the founders of Bangshift.com, others may know him from his announcing duties at Optima and Goodguys. Fewer may know that the reason he is such an effective announcer who needs no script is that he KNOWS this stuff…because he has lived it for the last 40 years! The only thing about hotrodding that Chad doesn’t know is a stranger. You’ll be kicking him off your leg!
    Jeff Schwartz – Schwartz Chassis – ’65 Tempest – Jeff makes a living building kickass chassis for lots of different applications, AND has a history of building huge horsepower unique hotrods. Anyone remember a certain Ultima GTR with a twin turbo LS engine that made 1012hp and went well over 200 MPH? Not impressed yet? How about putting 40,000 miles on that car? Yeah, I was impressed, too.
    Bruce Raymond – Raymond’s Performance Center – Bruce’s shop in Indianapolis is the support system for Ken Thwait’s VERY successful Optima Ultimate Street Car program. Yeah, they’re kinda smart like that. Bruce and his guys will be following along with the tour to provide repair services and general car building/maintaining/racing tips.
    The Bonus…each sponsor will be giving away a LOT of product and swag. RideTech is giving away a full StreetGRIP system EVERY DAY. DSE, No Limit, Holley, Forgeline, Baer and others will be giving out similar prizes.
    AND…after all of this…Ron Sutton will be presenting his first Suspension workshop of 2016 at the RideTech facility in Jasper, Indiana on Saturday May 7. For those of you who attended one of Ron’s workshops last year, you can attest to how much information is offered. Be aware that the information presented in the 2016 workshop will be significantly different than last year’s workshops.
    2016 topics:
    · Tips and tricks to measure the suspension and steering points in YOUR car
    · Learn to evaluate your car’s geometry and understand it better
    · Simple ways to improve your car’s grip and handling consistency
    · Proven methods to create out-of-the-box winning suspension set-ups
    · Master the recipe for ultra fast spring, swaybar, and shock combinations
    · How to achieve amazing grip and corner speed in your current car…or any car
    · Track day tuning to dial in your car for neutral, balanced handling
    The Ron Sutton Seminar does have an extra cost of $329.00 [about the cost of ONE good tire] but it will likely be the best investment you have ever made in making you and your car faster and happier. [NOTE: You do NOT have to participate in the tour to attend the Sutton workshop.]
    Soooo…the highlights:
    1. Sign up for one of the last 20 spots left in the Cars And Cones Road Tour. You can enter for the entire week for $500 or just for a day at a time for $75/day. Note that the day rate does not include any autocross access or raffled prizes like the weeklong entry. http://www.fm3roadtrip.com/event-registration.html
    Why? Have fun…learn things…have fun…win prizes…have fun!
    2. Sign up for Ron Sutton Suspension workshop on May 7 at RideTech http://www.ronsutton-racetechnology....php?storyid=64
    Why? Learn something…make your car faster and handle better…what other reason do you need?
    CHECK US OUT AT:
    www.ridetech.com

That's way cool that you're sponsoring this, is way sad that it's 3000 miles away.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I will be there with a few others from Mooresville. This will be a fun event.

Taking a very heavy 57 Fairlane (if I get things zip tied and duct taped back together) or a 64 Fairlane.

Hopefully you run a pro class and normal car class in the autocross. Some of the brake systems on the cars mentioned cost more than my entire car...

Ryan, I have a bunch of information on the Power Tour message board, I posted stuff there a while back.
      Last edited by htrdharley; April 7, 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
        I will be there with a few others from Mooresville. This will be a fun event.

Taking a very heavy 57 Fairlane (if I get things zip tied and duct taped back together) or a 64 Fairlane.

Hopefully you run a pro class and normal car class in the autocross. Some of the brake systems on the cars mentioned cost more than my entire car...

Ryan, I have a bunch of information on the Power Tour message board, I posted stuff there a while back.
        Awesome! Be sure an look me up when you get here. My wife and I will be hanging around that night after I get off work.
        CHECK US OUT AT:
        www.ridetech.com

Comment

We will also be giving away 1 Street Grip Suspension Kit every day of the Tour.
          CHECK US OUT AT:
          www.ridetech.com

Comment

So the tour has started. I have seen some pictures from our group on the road and from the looks of everything, there are some cool looking rides on the road in and around North Carolina. I will try and get some photos posted so everyone else can see. Also if you have Facebook or Instagram look us up as they will be posting a ton a pictures all day every day!
            CHECK US OUT AT:
            www.ridetech.com

Comment

Here is another link that will show the happenings on the tour. It will include shop tours of places like Detroit Speed and here at Ridetech and also interviews of people on the tour. Lots of interesting videos under the link.
              On thursday May 7th we will be doing a live Street Grip install at Ridetech HQ on a First Generation Camaro. So check out the link to see how easy the installation goes.
              CHECK US OUT AT:
              www.ridetech.com

Comment

The Camaro Street Grip install will start at 8:00am tomorrow morning Thursday May 5th, 2016. Tune in to see how easy the install actually is.
                CHECK US OUT AT:
                www.ridetech.com

Comment

Here's an update from those out on the tour! I've got more pictures that I'm organizing from the different stops that they've made (I'm getting alot of pictures/info thrown at me daily :D).

The one thing that I really like about this tour... Rain or shine, these guys drive their cars and aren't afraid to beat on them. For the most part, the cars on the tour are holding up very well!!

Also, while out on the tour, we're giving away a StreetGrip package each day!! Todd Earsley was one of the lucky guys! It just so happens that he's in even MORE luck. Because Bowling Green is close to our facility, we're bringing his car to our shop to do a live install tomorrow (5/5/16). After that, the car will go back to BG so he can feel the difference that the kit makes on the track and street.

CHECK US OUT AT:
                  www.ridetech.com

Comment

DAY FOUR PRESENTED BY USCA Today was all about the fellowship; and what better way to get to know your new friends than to take a scenic bus tour through the Kentucky countryside and enjoy some bourbon with your new buddies?! That’s exactly what we did today, with tours of both the Maker’s Mark and Jim Beam facilities. After a full day of whiskey education and a few shenanigans, we returned to the host hotel in Bowling Green for dinner, compliments of the USCA; and a parking lot party that lasted well into the night. A gallery of today’s photos is available below.
                    Friday brings us a morning full of our last autocross, here at NCM, then a final Road Trip to RideTech Headquarters in Jasper, IN. We’ve invited the whole community out to see the cars that will be gracing our facility, and we extend that invitation to you, as well! We will continue our live coverage during Friday’s autocross (scroll down for livestream link), and bring you the final recap of the week’s events after the RideTech party. Come out and join us!!

Todd’s Camaro is back and ready to demonstrate the StreetGRIP advantage! After awarding Todd Earsley a StreetGRIP system at Monday’s awards ceremony, we took his car to our HQ in Jasper, IN Wednesday morning and installed the system for him. We returned it today, and he’ll be running it on the autocross tomorrow at NCM.

CHECK US OUT AT:
                    www.ridetech.com

Comment

Working...
                    X