Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New favorite cleaner....gonna toss the SimpleGreen in the trash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New favorite cleaner....gonna toss the SimpleGreen in the trash.

Yeah, that's how good this stuff is. Not sure I'll ever use SimpleGreen again.

That little voice has been louder than usual this week. During my noon walk-about (in which I frequent the scrap pile also) I found a Tanker Desk sitting there on Thursday. It looked a little forlorn, and someone had treated it to a black rattle can paint job probably 30 years ago, so it looked rough.

Drove the van-find-hauler today and treated the desk ( a Globe-Wernicke model ) to a date with the steam-cleaner....since it did such a nice job removing the blue metallic paint from the CJ2-A.

It worked quite well, still had some places where the black stayed like a underlayer - the top glossy layer blew right off. And the desk top had some grungy staining that I just attributed to decades of sweat, coffee, and grime.

Then one of our guys walked by to see what I was up to, and asked if I had used his magic purple stuff.

Hmmm.....what magic purple stuff?

So he sprays a quick coat on the whole thing, I get distracted for 2-3 minutes, and when I came back 95% of the staining had dissolved. No scrubbing, it just melted.

And lots more of the black paint stuff blew off.

Neat stuff for sure. Appartently NAPA carries it, at least our local store does.

Oh, and crappy pictures of the desk. Hey, I was hurrying to finish government work.

Last edited by STINEY; April 8, 2016, 11:49 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I got a 4 gallon tub of it....was on sale for 10 bucks....I put that $h!t on everything....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Where did you find it at that price Joe?

And have you noticed any weird effects from it on anything?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

scrapping simple green for a dead body dissolver...

little voice...

I run away now.

Section 2

Hazards Identification
        Classification of the Chemical:
        Clear light purple liquid.
        Citrus
        odor.
        This material is classified as hazardous under OSHA regulations (29 CFR 1910.1200)
        (Hazcom 2012).
        Hazardous classification:
        Corrosive to Metals

Category 1
        Skin
        irritation

Category
        Eye
        irritation

Category
        2A
        Label elements:
        Signal Word
        :
        Warning
        Hazard Statements:
        Corrosive liquid.

May cause
        skin irritation.

May cause
        serious
        eye irritation.
        Precautionary Statements:
        Keep only in original container.
        Store in corrosive resistant container with inner liner.
        Absorb spillage to prevent material damage.
        Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
        If on Skin: Wash with plenty of soap and water
        I use stuff called "bomb's away".. it was for dump trash haulers with nuclear chains killing babies as they drive by houses.
        but I'll have to remember this stuff at napa.

once every few years.. I get the big engine bay clean with the real thing.
        very powerful.

even resets electrical grounding paths for long running machines.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 8, 2016, 12:00 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Where did you find it at that price Joe?

And have you noticed any weird effects from it on anything?

Pep-Boys had it on sale for a week a few months back....If I see it on sale again I'll give you a heads up......

Weird effects....yes....it will stain polished metals....and will leave a white residue on bare metals.....other than that no....I used it on my bike when the crankcase vent turned into Pompeii. It cleaned up a lot of the oil that coated everything but it left these nasty stains on the muffler and header....and a few of the other polished parts...but nothing else...Also used it on my sons truck, covered in years of oil from neglect....it cleaned it up real well but left that weird white crap on some of the raw parts....

nothing that would stop me from using it thats for sure....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That stuff will EAT your hands - use gloves, OK?
            Also - on some stuff, it leaves a residue that must also be cleaned off - soapy water usually works.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I've been using the stuff for a few years and it's potent stuff for sure. Like Stude says, I don't like getting it on my skin.

Much to my dis-may it removes engine paint as well, as evidenced by my first engine bay washing of the Firebird.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Is that the same thing as purple power?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

...or the Castrol Super-Clean they used to sell? Same package, just said Castrol on it. I would take the ink off paper...if you needed it to somehow.

If you ever put metal parts into a "tumbler" for de-burring there needs to be water in there for rinsing/lubrication, steel will then get little corrosion pocks but a small splash of Super Clean with the water would prevent that. I have wondered if it (a very small amount in a bucket of water) would help when rinsing pool acid off steel panels to not have them rust up immediately but not screw up paint. ? Of-course phosphoric acid is what to use, but the other stuff is cheaper, more available, and works better. I'll have to try that, I still have some old Super Clean.

Comment

We use it at our mill, yeah skin irritation!
                    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Good weed killer

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Good weed killer
                        I dunno, Bob. We have pretty high-quality weeds here in NC! I've decided that our dollar weed would grow in deep space.

Dan

Comment

The weeds are certainly alive and well at every spot I've rinsed into....
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I know old motor oil is fertilizer to black berry vines!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              I know old motor oil is fertilizer to black berry vines!

Yeah, but there's kudzu down South. Kudzu is plural by the way, you don't have A kudzu. No one's ever seen just one. It grows a foot a day.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X