No announcement yet.

Anyone watching Barret Jackson Live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone watching Barret Jackson Live?

There were some GREAT deals there tonight. You couldn't build some of those cars for what tehy sold for. That blue Caddy convert was wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
      Iwas dead on with that little green Chevy coupe but way over on the 65 Impala. Theres a nice Dodge Little Red express on there now .
      The 65 Impala sold for about what I expected being that was a non SS, non big block, non 4 speed, and practically no options. Still, a straight 65 rust free car makes me drool every time. Would make a great starter for big block transplant.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So what has caused the price of these cars to increase to such a point that only idiots with more money than sence buy them?
        I know in the late 80's and early 90's the classic car scene in the UK exploded as the city boys with there huge bonuses drove the price of the market up to a crazy level. This all crashed when the markets went south.
        But with the USA in an economic slump what is holding the prices so high and who exactly is buying?

Comment

Originally posted by The Chief
          So what has caused the price of these cars to increase to such a point that only idiots with more money than sence buy them?
          I know in the late 80's and early 90's the classic car scene in the UK exploded as the city boys with there huge bonuses drove the price of the market up to a crazy level. This all crashed when the markets went south.
          But with the USA in an economic slump what is holding the prices so high and who exactly is buying?
          Thats pretty simple. Idiots with more money than sence are buying them. Its the new game in town. Kind of like chinchilla and ostrich craze. Its kind of a piramid deal, when only the rich own all the old cars then their wont be any more to buy and they cant sell what they got for what they got into them then the bottom will fall out. I hope to be alive still when that happens.

Comment

The economy isn't as bad as the media would have everyone believe. Besides that, the rise and fall of old car prices (notice I said prices, not value) always coincides with a fall in stock prices as people pull their money out and put it into something tangible. Antique cars are viewed by some as a safe place to invest. That being said I will also say that most of these guys in the auctions on TV are true enthusiasts that are well known in the hobby and just happen to be able to afford to pay whatever it takes to build the collection of their dreams. Obviously some people are overpaying, but there are some deals especially on the rods and customs which take a back seat to the muscle cars these days.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
              The economy isn't as bad as the media would have everyone believe. Besides that, the rise and fall of old car prices (notice I said prices, not value) always coincides with a fall in stock prices as people pull their money out and put it into something tangible. Antique cars are viewed by some as a safe place to invest. That being said I will also say that most of these guys in the auctions on TV are true enthusiasts that are well known in the hobby and just happen to be able to afford to pay whatever it takes to build the collection of their dreams. Obviously some people are overpaying, but there are some deals especially on the rods and customs which take a back seat to the muscle cars these days.
              I AGREE with everything you mentioned. Even though I live in Detroit and the media is screaming about the economy, I personally do not know one person out looking for work. Also, just his weekend I spent over 6 hours on the internet and phone, booking hotel reservations for the different car events this year. Doesn't seem like a bad economy when TONS of hotels and motels are booked solid MONTHS in advance. I wish I would have kept track of how many places I called and got the "sorry, we're booked response".

I will make a comment though, I sure hope that Corvette concept car goes to a museum, keeping my fingers crossed maybe event the Corvette Museum. It's be a shame to head to a private collection where folks couldn't view it.

I was at RM Showroom a couple of weeks ago and they had a couple of AWESOME Chrylser concepts cars from the 50's that they were taking to BJ. Looking forward to seeing what they bring.

Comment

The average selling price last night was $25 grand. I think they said they sold 111 cars which is like $2,775,000 in sales. Now Craig gets 10% from the buyer and 8% from the seller, so he made $499,500 last night alone. Now you know why is always smiling at least until someone refuses to sign the sales slip.

Last year they thought they sold GM's Future Liner for $4 million and the person they thought was the high bidder refused to sign the slip and Craig practically swan dived off the selling block because he thought he was going to lose that $725,000 commission. Turns out the guy wasn't the high bidder and Craig had to kiss this guy's ass for the rest of the weekend.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
                  Originally posted by VTJUNK
                  I AGREE with everything you mentioned. Even though I live in Detroit and the media is screaming about the economy, I personally do not know one person out looking for work. Also, just his weekend I spent over 6 hours on the internet and phone, booking hotel reservations for the different car events this year. Doesn't seem like a bad economy when TONS of hotels and motels are booked solid MONTHS in advance. I wish I would have kept track of how many places I called and got the "sorry, we're booked response".

Maybe-but the automotive aftermarket is down between 20 and 30 % over last year. All of the reps and vendors I deal with are off. My friend who owns a muffler shop is off that much as are most of his vendors, customers and friends. My rep for a big import parts vendor just got laid off. Many manufacturers are eliminating rep agencys putting those guys out of work. The shop/warehouse I work for is off that much if not more. We are laying off and cutting expenses as much as possible. Things are going to be difficult for a while for some.

Comment

That is a bummer, and I do see your point. The auto manufacturers need to get their "stuff" together and businesses in Michigan need to learn how to diversify. I guess I can consider myself and the company I work for lucky. We are hiring, expanding and every single person in my department got a large raise last year.

Alot of people in the automotive industry live above their means and when there is downsizing and layoffs they are not prepared. I really can't feel sorry for people who have leases on cars they can't afford and people who were stupid enough to puchase houses with interest only morgages just so they could live in houses that cost more then they could normally afford.

Have you tried to go out to eat on a Friday or Saturday night? I don't know about where you live but here in Livonia you will have a 1-2 hour wait for a table at a normal restaurant and it's been like this for years now. People whine about not having any money yet they eat out all the time and their kids have the lastest electronic stuff. You couldn't get a parking spot in a Best Buy lot the whole month of Dec. Two Sundays ago I could barely walk thru Ikea the place was so jammed.

I will hop off my soapbox now.....I need to go get the grocerys outta my '97 Grand Marque so I can cook my own dinner here at home. ;)

Comment

Dyno Don's 1978 Pro Stocker is coming up!

Magneto rules.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

the original Batmobile is going up this year. Any speculation on a price. I would be very cool to own this one.

Comment

This year, instead of watching BJ, decided to:

Stop putting off an appendectomy.

It'll go bad eventually, so let's just get 'er out now, right?

Since finding out our insurance won't cover an elective surgery,

the family voted for me to use a kit from the DIY-Surgery website.

Hmm...no anesthesia w/our budget kit...looks pretty simple, though.

Wish me luck! ---

Comment

Don hardy used to build some nice funny cars. I went to visit a friend in Floydada Tx (about 45 miles from me) a couple of years ago and Don came over and sat with us. He took us over to his shop to see the 62 Chevy wagon he was building.

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob
                              the original Batmobile is going up this year. Any speculation on a price. I would be very cool to own this one.
                              I love talking on the batphone ;D

Comment

OOOOOOH! Nice Caprice on there now! I dont think they are getting the bucks like before . That Ford Wagon was actually a score! (if you had 40 grand) the guy that built it musta been pissed.

Comment

Working...
                                X