Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance?

Hello bangshifters!

Who do you guys use for insurance on your cars? Im trying to find insurance for my Comanche- its an 88, so technically a classic. Problem is It isnt in a locked garage, so most companies wont cover it. Any suggestions? Id like to get off standard insurance, since my friends was totalled and got about 1/4 what I would need to replicate it. A bit worrying! Ive looked into hagerty, grundy, and state farm. No, No, and only covers 'book' value.

Considering moving my other 2 cars as well- I was under 'investigation' for a month earlier this year by my insurance company. Apparently a single guy with 3 cars is suspicious (A mustang, Accord, and old jeep. Really?)
    Last edited by RustyRodder; April 17, 2016, 08:55 AM.
    Local person
    sigpic

We have liability only on all our cars, except my wife's Prowler, which has full coverage because if it hits a curb, it gets totalled.

But we can afford to lose one or fix one. Most folks can't, I suppose.

and since we drive them all like normal cars, and do race car stuff with some of them, it's kind of hard to get the cheap specialty insurance.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have AAA on my cars for about 10 years now. Very good coverage at a decent price. I pay about $40/month for it. I do not have Classic Car type of insurance because I do not want restrictions on how I drive my cars. They all have restrictions which include me commuting to work in them. Sorry, I will drive my cars how I please.

AAA does have classic car insurance as well. I haven't talked to them about that kind of coverage in several years. The last time I did, I was living in LA when '60's Impalas were being stolen left and right. They were paying out a ton of money on stolen cars. With no garage they wouldn't cover my cars then, but then again, half the cars stolen were in locked garages.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

we have a lot of cars...a few of them are under $50 for 6 months coverage...mainly the old trucks
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I had the same questions.
          A subaru never built with a 1 in 1500 engine.. at a time, less than 100 k cars was their whole year.
          now going for 30 years, never passed a normal inspection without a smart mechanic on laws.

Questions never answered on the insurance being special.

so it is regular insurance, antique plates... only 500 miles driven last year.

maine is way off..
          a lot of subjects.

some think a mill is going to start up again. the final suicide.
          anyway..
          I get no answers either.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I use Hagerty, and have for at least 20 years. A 1988 is tuff to do. The policy requirements are not based solely on the age of the vehicle. There is a reason collector car insurance policies are cheap compared to daily driver policys. The collector cars are seldom driven, they are well cared for, and claims are very infrequent. Proper and safe indoor storage is part of that. A 1988 is not that old. There are plenty of 1988 models still being used as beater/daily drivers. The insurance company's need to protect themselves against writing policies on someone's daily driver/beater for the same rates as a seldom driven, pampered collector car. So any 1988 model will be scrutinized. Especially one that is stored outdoors. I would say you need to get the car into a locked garage and prove that it is a cherished collectors item, or just go with liability thru a standard carrier and self insure the comp and collision. I would go with the second option if it was me.

Comment

Working...
            X