Patina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patina

In all of the car publications, in all of the car TV shows.....how can a word that means "worn out" get to be so overused and worn out?

Just sayin.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Peewee.

Patina Miller?
    Known for: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, Madam Secretary

Right up there with XL Cotton, real name, and Female Rodriguez another real name.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
      Peewee.

Patina Miller?
      Known for: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, Madam Secretary

Right up there with XL Cotton, real name, and Female Rodriguez another real name.

Nick
      HHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Full Definition of patina

plural patinas play \-nəz\ or patinae play \-ˌnē, -ˌnī\
        • 1 a : a usually green film formed naturally on copper and bronze by long exposure or artificially (as by acids) and often valued aesthetically for its color b : a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use
        • 2 : an appearance or aura that is derived from association, habit, or established character
        • 3 : a superficial covering or exterior

Comment

I really think too many are afraid of body work and paint and have gone looking for an excuse not to do it. It really ain't rocket surgery but it DOES take time and effort - but if you were afraid of that why would you mess with cars in the first place? Hey, if I can do it ANYONE can do it.

Dan

Comment

I disagree, I think people are tired of having a car tied up in the restoration process and want to enjoy them and enjoy them now. Get it running, get it safe and hit the road. Exactly what I've been doing with the Fury and the direction we are going with the D100...Paint, bodywork all that takes time and money...more often than not...lots of money so....why not just say to hell with it...it aint gotta be shiny to be fun....

Although...there are extremes in any situation...and there are people who take it to the extreme....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
              Get it running, get it safe and hit the road. Paint, bodywork all that takes time and money...more often than not...lots of money so....why not just say to hell with it...it aint gotta be shiny to be fun....

Although...there are extremes in any situation...and there are people who take it to the extreme....
              , but credit also has to be given to those who try to apply a finish and can state with pride "I did it myself" . I am not a big fan of the faux patina applied to new sheet metal however..
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

patina mentioned out loud is forcing a look.

one of my dads rigs went to 2.1 million miles before we looked.

not even a kc135 airplane did what that did to steel to alloys.

patina..
                it really is an art thing, but for me it is journalism.

I agree with joe.
                do what it needs.
                it earns that.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Today in hot rodding, guitar making, and several other art forms.... patina is a lie, meant to look old, when it's really new.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                    Today in hot rodding, guitar making, and several other art forms.... patina is a lie, meant to look old, when it's really new.
                    I first saw the word used in a Freiburger column in HRM years ago, but I'll bet I was way behind in years at that point. Then I started seeing/hearing it everywhere, because I was looking for it. Since then, years, it's patina this and patina that. I guess that's the word for it, but can't there be some other word for it? Maybe not, like finding another word for "orange," or something. Patina. Okay, I "get" it. Again. And again, I get it. And again, and some more. Again.

Comment

Patina.......I think that was a girl's name in high school. I remember her very well......she only had one boob. Right in the middle of her back. She looked kinda funny, but boy, was she fun to dance with!
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm not big on patina, prefer Washington primer myself. Thats a good coating of several layers of tree pollin and mold.

Comment

I saw a WRAPPED Camaro made to look old with rust, bad paint etc. It was on the 2014 Power Tour at some vendors booth.

Nick

Comment

I disagree, I think people are tired of having a car tied up in the restoration process and want to enjoy them and enjoy them now. Get it running, get it safe and hit the road. Exactly what I've been doing with the Fury and the direction we are going with the D100...Paint, bodywork all that takes time and money...more often than not...lots of money so....why not just say to hell with it...it aint gotta be shiny to be fun....

Yes - my '72 Chevy was a beater truck, I didn't really have the budget to do a restoration, and I wanted to use it for beater truck things. There is a certain freedom in not caring about any scratches or extra dents. Faux patina does not provide the same thing.

Comment

I think there's a perception that body and paint take forever to do and I think that gets back to an expectation that every body job has to be a Riddler contestant. It doesn't. I think OEM quality is plenty for any vehicle that will be driven and it really doesn't take all that long to make that happen. Vehicles get caught in "body shop Hell" (we all have those stories) because the body shop guys expect that the customer is expecting perfection (most are) so they have to go to extreme measures to get that. This explains every panel being covered in a thin coating of filler then block sanded to perfection. I don't usually do that and my stuff looks OK - not perfect, just OK. So you can make an OK car that looks nice though not perfect in a few weeks and you can then get on with driving it. If you look at Jim (Squirrel's) cars and maybe Mutt you get the concept. I've also seen MAACO jobs that get you there but to get decent paint you have to pay the upcharge but still not bad for a driver.

I realize I've made these points before on here but they still apply.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X