Fastenal Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastenal Shipping

Been cleaning up and selling extra stuff.

Got a fella from Tennessee wants a pair of Jeep CJ7 soft top doors. Not sure how he finds something in central Ohio on a Craigslist search, but whatever. I have to search town-by-town, I'm definitely missing something.

So I've been learning the Fastenal shipping deal. Stopped at local store, very helpful and professional, showed me how to submit a quote (he offered to do it for me, but I still had to box them up.) Its easy to do from home though. Search Fastenal, click on Services, and click on THird Party Logistics (3PL) - fill out the form and they have a quote within 24 hours. Mine took about 10 minutes. Awesome.

Anyways, comparison shopping. We ship UPS everyday from work, so its easy for me to check out.

And UPS wants $105.24 to ship them from Ohio. Ouch. 26# box 43"x40"x5" - $42 for the weight and an extra $57 for "oversize", plus some misc sundries.

Really? For a box I can tuck under one arm and carry around for hours. Nice.

Fastenal's quote is $65, and they recommend crating the box on a pallet so their damage claims can apply. No crated pallet, no claim. Simple enough.

Along with their quote is an attachment that you print off, fill out a couple of blanks, sign and fax (or scan and email) back to them.

That's as far as I have went so far. According to the guy at the store, you just bring the form in with the stuff to ship.

We'll see what the potential buyer wants to do.

Impressed so far. No hassle and way cheaper.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    Been cleaning up and selling extra stuff.

. Not sure how he finds something in central Ohio on a Craigslist search, but whatever. I have to search town-by-town, I'm definitely missing something.;
    Search by state, driving distance, or just search all of Facebook Marketplace*, craigslist*, eBay and more. The most trusted classifieds search engine. *Not affiliated with Facebook or craigslist.

Just type in item, classification, how many miles away you wanna go.

Your book has been sitting here waiting for me to do UPS shipments, it's coming...

Comment

Well, Scott (the Fiero guy) left his folding chair here when the Power Tour passed through Chattanooga and we had that big party. Whatta night. I shipped that chair back to him. That was expensive. More than the chair was worth. Shipping costs some shit.

But when I think about it....a letter, one ounce. I don't know what it is these days, 45 cents? I'll hand you a letter, and you take it to Missouri for me, or wherever, and that's all it costs? It's gonna cost me a whole lot more than that to fire up Red and burn three or five tanks of gas to hand that letter to somebody, if that's all I had to do for a few days. Shipping....a lot of it is rigged and overpriced, but shipping (the noun, the activity) is a cool thing, whatever it costs.
      Last edited by pdub; April 20, 2016, 11:47 AM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Greyhound Package Express (GPX) Marion OH to Memphis TN about $63 for your package.
        No crate no pallet required. You drop at Marion station customer picks up in Memphis.
        That includes $200 of DECLARED VALUE COVERAGE.
        I ship a lot of GPX and in the last 10 years have only had one damage claim which was my fault.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X