Live and Learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live and Learn

Sometimes going the cheap way bites you in the ass. Yap did the A/C compressor on my '99 Camaro about a month ago, and now that it's getting hot I started using it. Well today got pretty warm(103ish) and as I drove my A/C got warmer and warmer. Well I got home threw my gauges on it and the low side was sitting at about 120, which it should be running at about 50, and the high side was only running about 240, which is close to where it should be, so I figured the orifice tube was bad so I replaced it to find a bunch of crap, not metal, but like dirt?, that was all over it, with a couple of tiny chunks of something on it. Anyway like I said I replaced the OT and charged it back up and there was no change in the pressures and the car was not cooling. So that only mean one thing, the compressor is bad. > I guess that's what I get for buying one off EBay, now it's hot and I need it and can't wait two weeks to warranty the thing. So I get to spend another $300 tomorrow and replace the A/C compressor again. Yap fun, fun. :

Anyway moral of the story is you might save money getting it off ebay, but if it doesn't work, it's going to cost you double because warrantying it isn't as easy as going to your local parts store. Live and learn.

Re: Live and Learn

Originally posted by Beagle
    Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
    Sometimes going the cheap way bites you in the ass. Yap did the A/C compressor on my '99 Camaro about a month ago, and now that it's getting hot I started using it. Well today got pretty warm(103ish) and as I drove my A/C got warmer and warmer. Well I got home threw my gauges on it and the low side was sitting at about 120, which it should be running at about 50, and the high side was only running about 240, which is close to where it should be, so I figured the orifice tube was bad so I replaced it to find a bunch of crap, not metal, but like dirt?, that was all over it, with a couple of tiny chunks of something on it. Anyway like I said I replaced the OT and charged it back up and there was no change in the pressures and the car was not cooling. So that only mean one thing, the compressor is bad. > I guess that's what I get for buying one off EBay, now it's hot and I need it and can't wait two weeks to warranty the thing. So I get to spend another $300 tomorrow and replace the A/C compressor again. Yap fun, fun. :

Anyway moral of the story is you might save money getting it off ebay, but if it doesn't work, it's going to cost you double because warrantying it isn't as easy as going to your local parts store. Live and learn.
    Seems too hot to charge it maybe? Try putting your refrigerant in a buck of ice water with salt in it? See old GM shop manuals, I didn't dream this shit up.

Did you pull a vacuum first?

Ya sucked it down for like 15 minutes, and as for the refrigerant being to hot, I charge it about a month ago, when the temps were in the 80's. I'm just caulking it up to a bad compressor from the get go. Wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

Working...
    X