Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

embarrassing confession time (hot rodding edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• embarrassing confession time (hot rodding edition)

so i have come to a realization that is sort of embarrassing. i have never hopped up or built or even really worked on a gen 1 small block chevy.

i have messed with and built small block oldsmobiles, the LS 6.0 in my truck, a couple 4.6L mod motors, 351 windor, 318 mopar LA, supercharged v6s, even a over head cam mitus v6

and now i have a pontiac 455 but i have never actually messed with a small block chevy LOL not even a later model vortec 305

so any one else have sort of similar embarrassing confessions when it comes to hot rodding
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

I never did v6.
    23 vehicles.
    never will.
    no pontiacs either..but loved my 301.

gen 1 is a goner.. but have fun to say you did.

I was tortured by them...except for the "little" 305.
    built my own.

the first vortec is not gen 1 BTW.. it is metric..
    and multiport...and 300hp in a truck.
    not the gen 1 305 anymore. not even remotely close.
    in fact it is a 306.

I helped 1 inline four for free education.. a 1981 dodge omni when I was 15.
    father and son both mechanics by educated trade.

I never mess with those either. won't own one again.
    sideways, longways, anyways...
    not even a saab leaning over.
    no inline fours for me, nor v6.

I was willing to rip into my dads 550 cat... he changed his mind got a new truck.
    the last inline I will ever tinker with, a diesel.

looking at wikipedias labels..
    they got "generation 2" list way too small..
    I bet its admin errors for the first smallblocks of the injection era..
    L30/L31 etc..
    left in an old list.

may as well make 5 versions of an lt1 claiming there is only one next.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 21, 2016, 06:04 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

i have always considered the vortecs gen one just because of the part interchange. never really occurred they where different. but then the LT1 can swap parts and that was always refereed to as a gen 2

i guess if you want to gewt real technical i have messed with a small block chevy as the LS in my truck is called a gen 3
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I overhauled a 283 when I was 14, so I don't have that particular confession. But I'm sure there are other things I've never done, that I should have...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The only engine rebuild I ever did that went bad was a SBC and I've done a bunch of weird engines (215 aluminum Buick, BBB, /6, etc, etc.) that went fine. That damn SBC showed oil pressure but took out the bottom end - repeatedly. Finally hauled the whole deal to the dump. Never been a fan since then. Besides, they're boring bellybuttons.

Dan

Comment

weirdo
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

'Zakly.

Dan

Comment

The problem.

You'll never know the joy of finding a part at a swap meet that you need and is even cheaper than what you expected
                You'll never do major carnage and find out that you're one click from replacement
                Your friends will never be able to help you out with a part that you need to go play tomorrow
                Your bank account will never be greater than 2 digits
                You'll never have the joy of being twice as fast for half the cash
                You'll never have the joy of this little quip "sure you beat me, how much did you spend on that?"

Embrace your inner SBC, enjoy the power, have lunch... you can afford it.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 22, 2016, 06:34 AM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Back before I knew better, I rebuilt a 231 for a 1980 Buick Regal. Full rebuild, ground the crank, new pistons, valve job, new oil pump assembly $$, etc. And if rebuilding a 231 wasn't bad enough to begin with, I figured I'd save $20 and install the frost plugs myself. Unfortunately, since I did not remove them, it did not occur to me to install oil galley plugs (removed for block cleaning). I finally figured it out and got it running but it did not last long at all - maybe a few months IIRC. Cam bearing were the most worn. I ended up scrapping the whole thing and dropping in a SBC for a while.
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    The problem.

You'll never know the joy of finding a part at a swap meet that you need and is even cheaper than what you expected
                    You'll never do major carnage and find out that you're one click from replacement
                    Your friends will never be able to help you out with a part that you need to go play tomorrow
                    You'll never have the joy of this little quip "sure you beat me, how much did you spend on that?"

I'm not only happy but content in my ignorance. And besides, I've experienced most of the things on your list with other brands of engine power.

I have lunch out every day - it's a little spoiling I give myself. I think it'll be Ruth's today - neat little NC diner.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      The only engine rebuild I ever did that went bad was a SBC and I've done a bunch of weird engines (215 aluminum Buick, BBB, /6, etc, etc.) that went fine. That damn SBC showed oil pressure but took out the bottom end - repeatedly. Finally hauled the whole deal to the dump. Never been a fan since then. Besides, they're boring bellybuttons.

Dan

i think that's why i have never built one do to being every ware cookie cutter

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        The problem.

I do all of that, except my bank usually has funds in it, and the last few are what chevy guys say... Ie,you beat me by truck lengths and you only have what in it?

I did my first SBC, a 400 that I put vortec heads on because 300 dollar each heads are awesome right? Remember that 400 Pontiac I built last year for the black 68 LeMans? I have less in the Pontiac with forged rods, domed pistons, and completely rebuilt with balancing than I have on that 500 dollar 400 chevy shortblock that I have to scrounge all kinds of stuff for, and the damn chevy still needs more stuff. At this point it would have been far cheaper to buy some AFR aluminum heads and use the stuff that was on the 305 in my 76 C10 I replaced with a 400 Pontiac. I've sunk over 3k into a chevy that still doesn't run and it needs another 600 or so to fit my 88 C1500. After I get this pos running, I'm never doing one again.

A cam and intake swap on my 454 will cost me more than 1000 just to get the damn thing to make enough power to pull a trailer like the 400 Pontiac did, and hopefully do it without burning gas to the tune of 6mpg. It's a better choice to put a cam in the 350 dollar 6.0 and put it on the truck. More power far better mileage and lots less weight.

I already have the part to go play tomorrow, because Pontiac cores have been dirt cheap for decades, and all the stock stuff is as good as if not better than aftermarket, except the rods which are 300 bucks from being forged, and resizing rods runs about the same.

I don't see it as embarrassing to not having messed with an orange lump, rather Mater is fortunate to not have to in all this time. If the SBC is so good, why didn't Mickey Thompson use them to run 400mph in 1960? Why can't they keep up with my stock headed Pontiac engines in heavier cars with highway gears?

Comment

the previous owner built the 455 in the GA with what he had laying around. 350 6x heads, 68 intake, 800 cfm q-jet, ram air manifolds, and a small torque cam. according to the guy should run pretty strong and what i have seen from thumpin455 he is right. guy said to expect a low 13 high 12 with traction and do tot he tiny cam i still have room

heck the 350 olds i want to build is going to be inexpensive except the crank but still cheaper then the equivalent chevy piece

330 forged crank, SBC H-beam rods, SBC flat top 400 pistons, big block C heads, performer RPM intake 800 cfm q-jet

it will be a 363 ci with 9.5: compression with the flat tops machine work is going to be the most expensive and that is the same rate for any engine parts wise most of this can be had at swap meats or junk yards and make about 500ft-lbs and 450hp under 6,000rpm

Comment

yes i will be using chevy parts in the olds. they are also the the most expensive pieces

Comment

Meh, I've never torn down any engine completely. Only top ends.....unless you count jet engines...then....yes...but internal combustion...nope....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X