Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

embarrassing confession time (hot rodding edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confessions? Have any of you read my project threads??
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I throw away my Hot Rod magazines without even opening the cover.

Comment

I read mine - good for time in "The Library".

Dan

Comment

The only engine I've completely re-built by myself was a Briggs and Stratton in high school, it fired on the first pull. I've helped plenty of friends build theirs though.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Mater View Post
            i have always considered the vortecs gen one just because of the part interchange. never really occurred they where different. but then the LT1 can swap parts and that was always refereed to as a gen 2

i guess if you want to gewt real technical i have messed with a small block chevy as the LS in my truck is called a gen 3
            also on the first vortec,
            the 305 head became the first head for the new lt1

trivia for dumpster diggers like me.

I believe any engine can do something..
            and the v6 is hopeless at all times.

I came up with one by volkswagen to slap in something like a subaru.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kleppen_VR6-motor_24V.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1099041

if to give my mind a v6 chance..
            I'd build the left one by custom cams..
            and rework valves if possible.

original design is .49 inch offcenter (very close to an inline), and 22 degrees for the rods.. it almost makes more sense than a normal v6..
            embarrassing is a v6.
            they keep trying anyway.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 22, 2016, 06:21 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My confession? As of 2 weeks ago, I don't own a car. I have 3 engines and 2 transmissions in the garage, but no cars to hold them.

My wife generously lets me drive one of her Honda SUVs to work everyday (she owns 2), but I don't own a car.
              Last edited by Aircooled; April 23, 2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
                My confession? As of 2 weeks ago, I don't own a car. I have 3 engines and 2 transmissions in the garage, but no cars to hold them.

My wife generously lets me drive one of her Honda SUVs to work everyday (she owns 2), but I don't own a car.

*GASP*
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

*GASP*

a honda SUV is not a car.... *pedantic off*
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've changed head gaskets, but not done a complete engine rebuild.

Once I sell my BMW, all the vehicles in the family fleet will be four door sedans. However, one of the four doors has a turbo and another has a blower, so there's that.

Comment

I've worked on lots of engines in a bunch of cars over the years. Benefit of your dad owning a shop in your backyard I guess. But, it's given me plenty of time to make a fool of myself. Top of the list has to be the first third gen Camaro I built. Took out the original 350 TPI and built a 383 with a Holley. That engine proceeded to seize within 15 seconds of running. Took it apart and found 3 wrist pins (press in style) had seized. Took them back to the shop I got them from and he proceeded to tell me I had screwed up assembling the engine and how it couldn't possibly have anything to do with how they were assembled. I was not happy. Who's fault was it at the end of the day? Not sure. Probably mine. Live and learn I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

*GASP*
                        mowing the grass this weekend, I had to start, and move 5 cars around.
                        See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Just 5? Have a sell-off recently? Or only 5 that start?

Just relating....added a 3rd truck to the mess this weekend....2 of which will move under their own power with just a fresh battery. Neither of which will stop by themselves.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm rather proud to say I've never done any real wrenching on a SBC. So not really a confession. More in the vain of "I didn't itch my belly button, today."

I can confess that it takes more than three Alfa in order to keep one running.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                            X