Finnegan's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it.
    finnegan knows that generation of engines.

you want to play with the 80s... go find the best of turbo 3208 in a gmc topkick with a race box.
    just weird.

I made the last of the old sbc stay content in my pickup by locking out any means for a receiver hitch to be installed never again, frame work 1 level beyond its weight class...
    on and on.

terrible sale. if the framing is real unique, I would love it... the rest is just going to revive slow old bad memories creeping in.

I wonder what that 454 does with the EGR.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• With them just putting the diesel in the white ramp truck I was surprised that they would be in the market for a truck with another 454 . Maybe they are going to turbo it .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
        With them just putting the diesel in the white ramp truck I was surprised that they would be in the market for a truck with another 454 . Maybe they are going to turbo it .
        I'm thinking, the old ramptruck, is now like the F bomb. a bi costly paperweight.
        lets dump a cummins in it, then add more power than you'll ever need towing making it un reliable. and just for good measure remove the heater box AND a/c .
        The amount of money spent on screwing up that truck, buys a lot of fuel that was the reason for the swap. or was it, the heat the th400 was putting in the floor board from worn out cab mounts.
        Me, I'd have put new cab mounts/rubbers in, and a fuw ducts to force air over the trans case. but that's just me.
        The 15-20k he has in that swap buys a lot of 87 gas. that, that peanut port 454 will run on.
        never mind the 20k + that the new rig cost. that also buys a bunch of fuel.
        Last edited by Eric; January 18, 2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• I don't follow this but figured I'd check in. Latest adventure on Facebook is the ramp truck rear end got fragged going burnouts. Facebook "suggested" I'd like to follow Finnegan's Garage. Uhhhh no...
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
            I don't get it.
            finnegan knows that generation of engines.

you want to play with the 80s... go find the best of turbo 3208 in a gmc topkick with a race box.
            just weird.

I made the last of the old sbc stay content in my pickup by locking out any means for a receiver hitch to be installed never again, frame work 1 level beyond its weight class...
            on and on.

terrible sale. if the framing is real unique, I would love it... the rest is just going to revive slow old bad memories creeping in.

I wonder what that 454 does with the EGR.
            I don't get it either - that is a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG box.

I imagine they'll cummins the new one too, but who knows.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I guess it's the Roadkill thing. They tailor their vehicle selection and driving style to generate carnage. Good visuals. What's the GVWR and curb weight of that thing anyway? A real trucking company wouldn't trust it to haul potato chips, but circle track guys?
              Last edited by RockJustRock; January 18, 2019, 11:37 PM.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• we want entertainment, they provide it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I don't get it either - that is a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG box.

I imagine they'll cummins the new one too, but who knows.
                  I'm thinking, motortrend/ten or discovery, killed the reliable carrier account that The 55 was shipped around the country with.
                  And the largest thing he can drive without a full CDL.
                  All the cars are at a warehouse when they decide to have an event and show off the roadkill vehicles, all but his. his tends to be on the other end of the country.
                  cross country carrier service gets costly.
                  This is cheaper in the long run for discovery/roadkill/ten/motortrend. or Finn himself. as long as they don't cancel the fuel card.
                  It is big enough for what ever including his drag boats .No, idea where he is going to park that tank.,it won't be at his home. So I'm thinking a shop will be the next step.
                  I'm also thinking, the lost of the mazda. brought the reality of towing his 55 on an open rig. for the world to know what is being hauled. of course if he plasters finn speed and marine on it's sides. everyone will know there is high dollar stuff in it and be a target.
                  I'd leave it blank and add a good hidden gps tracking system AND a spare cell phone, hard wired in. as a 2nd tracking
                  Last edited by Eric; January 18, 2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• seems like a reasonable hypothesis, though with that said, trucks are easy to steal, gooseneck car haulers are more difficult.

tracking - yeah, I'm done with SPOT, poor quality and non-existent customer service, I use Garmin now but that's mostly because I like storing maps my wheeling adventures - and many places I go have little to no cell reception.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      seems like a reasonable hypothesis, though with that said, trucks are easy to steal, gooseneck car haulers are more difficult.

tracking - yeah, I'm done with SPOT, poor quality and non-existent customer service, I use Garmin now but that's mostly because I like storing maps my wheeling adventures - and many places I go have little to no cell reception.
                      Meh. Trucks that the owner doesn't do anything to are easy to steal. more car/race trailers get stolen. heck more trailer/rig and car get stolen .
                      If they want it, they'll take it, al you can do is make it really hard.
                      A trailer and truck, also blend in. if you report one stolen cops will be hard pressed to pull every one of them over to check. but a rig like he bought,
                      Me, I'd just write on a 8x11 paper or roadkill style cardboard. , caution no brakes, and tape to the wheel, when parked.

Comment

• I think I would also paint something on top where they wouldn't look . I'd probably have a few fuel and electrical cut offs .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I enjoy watching Finnegan, for entertainment and learning about cool new things. But I don't watch him to learn from him, there are other shows for that.
                            He comes across as a nice enough guy, but I feel his thought pattern is still stuck in the magazine mantra of quick and easy projects.
                            As for the new truck, number 4 if you include the Duramax dually he's since sold, I can't help but think he knew it may have some issues but figured it would make great footage. I did notice that his attitude towards the seller changed after he found out about the license plate.

Comment

• Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                              I enjoy watching Finnegan, for entertainment and learning about cool new things. But I don't watch him to learn from him, there are other shows for that.
                              He comes across as a nice enough guy, but I feel his thought pattern is still stuck in the magazine mantra of quick and easy projects.
                              As for the new truck, number 4 if you include the Duramax dually he's since sold, I can't help but think he knew it may have some issues but figured it would make great footage. I did notice that his attitude towards the seller changed after he found out about the license plate.
                              Well. if you look at the ad. and the fact that there is an unwritten law between racers/gearheads. that you tend to trust them more than the general public when it comes to buying/selling/etc.
                              The seller going to pick them up. tells Mike and any other buyer that the fuel system issues from sitting have been taken care of.
                              Also, when you place on the ad that you'd have no issue driving it coast to coast. and have outdated tires on it. some might call that stretching the truth, and that is being nice.
                              Mike is guilty here also. as he got to giddy about it and didn't look it over before hand. and then offered less because it needing tires and the fuel system cleaned out.
                              I think the plate issue was the 1st last straw as he now is driving a truck with a plate from another car/truck. That could've ended very very bad. like a few thousand dollar tow and impound of truck. tickets and fines.
                              Then when the seller bailed before they got to the hotel knowing both were wet and freezing. was the LAST straw.
                              I think, if he wasn't buying from a racer family that knows the risk of old tires and fuel sitting. he not have been so upset. But the fact that they know better it make you wonder what else they left out of the info on the truck.

What I took from it. is no matter how giddy you get. make sure you do your homework and look it over before you make an offer. even if you have to pay someone else to do it because you can't get out to look at it. Why they didn't buy a few 5 gallon fuel cans to have on hand to refill the boat tank as back up. was odd. but after dropping 20k on a truck. you might be low on cash to spend on anything that you might not need.
                              I'm sure the 6 tires wasn't cheap either.
                              rule #1 trust no one. but in the end he has no one to blame but himself.
                              hopefully. that is the end of the problems with it. but I'm thinking it has many more. and the reason it only has 30k on it.
                              Even an nhra divisional racer would put that miles on it in one season.

Comment

• IRSA76 You are correct . His attitude really turn at that point . The guy was going to let him go down the road with a plate that didn't belong to it . If you do get pulled over that gets you into more trouble than if you didn't have one at all . I'd have given him his plate or taken it off and frisbees it over the chain link fence. The 94 suburban I just bought I drove around a week in the city of Indianapolis with no plate at all . I just kept the title on my person and would have told them I just bought it . Of the 40 to 50 cars I've bought I only got pulled over without a plate once . And he wanted to make a big deal out of it .A little respect goes a long way and he eventually let me go .
                                Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 22, 2019, 06:28 AM.
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X