Finnegan's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Don't run too fast Little Johnny, you'll fall and get hurt. Get off the couch Little Johnny, you'll get fat and die of a heart attack. Little Johnny, don't say that, you'll hurt someones feelings. Why are you so quiet Little Johnny.....are you emotionally constipated?

Oy Vey. Contradictions abound.
    yes, but little Johnny is a stupid little schmidt and chews on window seals. think about the children, especially the stupid Johnnys.

wait a minute, you think I give a flying Sasquatch about Mother Nature? if you do, you would be less smart than little Johnny.

and a clarification is in order. Some may think that I'm simply cussing with more words when I say "Schmidt" however, I am not. When I was in high school I dated a Schmidt. Cute, heart of gold, head full of concrete - nary a thought went through her cute little head. Thus, I'm likening Johnny to Schmidt.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 4, 2016, 09:29 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What little time I spent with Mike at a couple car shows and a swap meet, I think; I liked him. Can't hate a guy who has a springer spaniel. My family had two when I was a kid. But, then again, I liked DF, so my opinions may be suspect.

I like this show. Obviously Mike isn't using the TEN's slick editors. Simple, informative, entertaining. Good enough.

I can totally understand why Mike moved out of the LA area. He lived somewhere near Orange and must have commuted to El Segundo. I know how much that sucks. When a house like I own now costs over $500,000 in any half decent neighborhood, there is not much chance for normal people to own a home in LA or Orange County. I was the same as him, I left LA in order to have a chance to own my own home. And, to have a job closer to my hobby. It is pretty obvious he doesn't have to live in LA to do his job. I wish him and his family all the best.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy

And I still think it was him selling the CarJunkie pickup - in one of his latest he talked about how he drove cross-country with the mill in the back of a pickup.... I can't imagine driving that 5000lb tool in the back of a short bed, 1/2 ton truck - but I've done sillier things so who knows.
        If you're referring to the Muscle Truck that DF had on ebay , I believe that Chad ( Boondoogle ) was handling that sale .

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

yes, but little Johnny is a stupid little schmidt and chews on window seals. think about the children, especially the stupid Johnnys.

wait a minute, you think I give a flying Sasquatch about Mother Nature? if you do, you would be less smart than little Johnny.

and a clarification is in order. Some may think that I'm simply cussing with more words when I say "Schmidt" however, I am not. When I was in high school I dated a Schmidt. Cute, heart of gold, head full of concrete - nary a thought went through her cute little head. Thus, I'm likening Johnny to Schmidt.

I think about the stupid Johnnys often. Far more than I'd like to actually.......problem is, they are hard to ignore, being so plentiful,prevalent and obtusive. We as a society need to stop subsidizing their breeding though. I believe in a Hand-up, not Hand-outs.

I do believe we share a kindred opinion of Mother Nature. We as a species give ourselves far too much credit, thinking we can actually impact her to any meaningful extent. Take us out of the picture, in a few seasonal cycles you'll barely know we were ever here. Life is a struggle for survival against her force.

Schmidt, lol. We do business with a kindred business locally - Schmidt Machine - good people, not sure how cute they are though. Bunch of salt-of-the-earth type guys.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I like it,
            Straight, basic, and not over the top with big money tools..

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I think about the stupid Johnnys often. Far more than I'd like to actually.......problem is, they are hard to ignore, being so plentiful,prevalent and obtusive. We as a society need to stop subsidizing their breeding though. I believe in a Hand-up, not Hand-outs.

I tend to agree. 50 years ago if you were driving like a distracted idiot, you had a very real chance of being ripped from the gene pool, because there were no airbags, and hell seat belts were an option. Now idiots can wreck a bunch of cars before they actually get hurt bad enough to put the phone away while driving. In the 50s after a wreck they would spray off the dash and sell it to someone new on Monday.

Now everything is bubble wrapped, 'think of the children' is the logical fallacy of choice followed closely by no true Scotsman. This has resulted in people who not only can't think critically, but also people who are incompetent with things easy to master. Years ago these half witted brain dead organ donors wouldn't have made it to reproduction age to spread their ineptitude flavored genes, the stupid were not protected, the ignorant were not lauded and admired.

It's a double edged sword, its the best time to be alive, but there are so many stupid people bent on dragging you back into the bucket like a crab that it could be so much better yet never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

I tend to agree. 50 years ago if you were driving like a distracted idiot, you had a very real chance of being ripped from the gene pool, because there were no airbags, and hell seat belts were an option. Now idiots can wreck a bunch of cars before they actually get hurt bad enough to put the phone away while driving. In the 50s after a wreck they would spray off the dash and sell it to someone new on Monday.

Now everything is bubble wrapped, 'think of the children' is the logical fallacy of choice followed closely by no true Scotsman. This has resulted in people who not only can't think critically, but also people who are incompetent with things easy to master. Years ago these half witted brain dead organ donors wouldn't have made it to reproduction age to spread their ineptitude flavored genes, the stupid were not protected, the ignorant were not lauded and admired.

It's a double edged sword, its the best time to be alive, but there are so many stupid people bent on dragging you back into the bucket like a crab that it could be so much better yet never will.

and worse, they think their opinion matters. Back in early-internet when AOL was really the only chat-type program out there, the going joke was that if there were as many Vipers as were claimed by the people on AOL, that Vipers would be more numerous then Camrys. Those people still exist, though the tend to pool in places like Pirate. Other sites have varying levels of acceptance of Johnnys.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 6, 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Johnnys scare me!
                  They tend to do their best next to me.. I don't hear them then suddenly there is a commotion next to me WTF moment for sure
                  Happens too often for my liking.

Comment

Just watched his saw video and that made me think of Project Binky's tubing shinanigans when they DO have a bandsaw. https://youtu.be/NMT9Ykmneiw?t=964

Super cool idea
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Finnigan is no Abraham Lincoln. Certainly he could be called clever - but there are several orders of magnitude for him to travel before he becomes Binky-level.

Comment

Another Monday, another episode.

Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

This kind of stuff is handy for guys like me. I just got a TIG recently, but have yet to lay down my first spark.

Comment

I think people get too spun up about how sharp their tungsten is.... if you really want fastidious, you should hear the argument about whether or not you should grind your tip longitudinally with the tungsten or (like Finnigan did) with a spinning motion.

It doesn't matter, really, it doesn't matter. The only thing about linear is that you stand a reasonable chance of getting a hospital visit to remove tungsten embedded in your hand or from getting shards of tungsten out of your appendages - including your eyes as tungsten is really brittle and will shatter. which leads me to

you haven't lived until you sharpen tungsten with a sharp blow with a wedge-shaped object.

Sorry, this video is a waste of time. Any minor crap you get on your tungsten burns off immediately upon striking the arc. Don't dip your tungsten in grease and if you do, wipe it off first...

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                              This kind of stuff is handy for guys like me. I just got a TIG recently, but have yet to lay down my first spark.
                              When you do you might wanna know: Running tungsten against a grinding disc will dull it almost instantly, and that disc is shot. Thoriated tungsten (used for steel, stainless but not aluminum) is a low-level radioactive material (seriously) that won't penetrate the skin but should not be inhaled, therefore when you go grinding you do not do it in a manner that sprays the dust near your face such as he is doing there. As often is the case, Mike shows us how to do it but didn't take the class.
                              Last edited by Loren; May 10, 2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

oh geek time!

That's not necessarily true, Loren. lanthanated tungsten doesn't have low-level radiation in it and can be used anywhere thoriated tungsten is used.... most kids use lanthanated, old-timers use the radioactive stuff
                                I won't say which I use...

Comment

Working...
                                X