No announcement yet.

Finnegan's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope that's what he's using then. Geek? I wouldn't be on the projects I get into if I weren't stingy about details.

Comment

I have an old scratch-start TIG setup........was taught to sharpen correctly, etc. Scratch start off copper plate fastened to material to be welded, etc.

Problem is, upon starting the arc it immediately loses the point and then the little lightening bolt is very difficult to direct. Hard to keep it on the weld joint, wants to wander around.

I should just sell that setup. Never have been able to get a decent weld from it.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        I have an old scratch-start TIG setup........was taught to sharpen correctly, etc. Scratch start off copper plate fastened to material to be welded, etc.

Problem is, upon starting the arc it immediately loses the point and then the little lightening bolt is very difficult to direct. Hard to keep it on the weld joint, wants to wander around.

I should just sell that setup. Never have been able to get a decent weld from it.
        same as old stick. Add that thick flux cover on top of those problems.
        my dad started off as a welding course in his high school in the early 60s.
        He wanted to be like his father, weld big boats etc..
        All these years avoided it because of the spark start.

I would be generation 3 welder.
        Fell right into it.

modern invertors do not need any extra exciting radioactivity.
        I have yet to get into any purty airless welding or tig at all...got old school burly tough guy stuck in my head.
        Call it grandpa.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
          Hope that's what he's using then. Geek? I wouldn't be on the projects I get into if I weren't stingy about details.

heh - I wouldn't get into half the trouble I do without ignoring the details.... I also wouldn't have half the funny stories
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Another Monday

More than 30 minutes.

Last edited by 65RHDEER; May 16, 2016, 11:18 PM.
            Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

tough going, he is patient.
              LMC is awesome, glad to see mention of it.

I replaced upper door seals on my 96 to find the original were not correct..LMC version was perfect. As odds have it, my 90 yr old neighbor was out there banging on his 98 caddy with upper seal problems.
              I gave him my old ones which fit the caddy better than my truck..

LMC trickle down effect.

glass is precise. the back ones.very difficult.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                glass is precise. the back ones.very difficult.
                He tore the seal on the inside with the rope...

I've done a few of those. Rule #1, use A LOT of soapy water on EVERYTHING...

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

He tore the seal on the inside with the rope...

I've done a few of those. Rule #1, use A LOT of soapy water on EVERYTHING...
                  I like to soak the rope..

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

I like to soak the rope..
                    me too.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

another episode

I made cross sills for my truck, wanted the front one to be a full hot rolled monster.. this needed a plan for the nuts on the inside of the tube.
                      I simply cut a plate out of the bottom after drilling, this gave a spot for the nut to align to.. then tach the plate back in, and leave it ugly for someone else to know that is an entry point.

the side holes in the classic chevelle frame, makes me cringe.. I'd fill those in too while at it.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 23, 2016, 07:38 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Frame holes need nuts welded in..
                        I liked the little dig at the sway bar vender to maybe fix the bolt issue...
                        I think I'd have tacked the bolts in that pass side..
                        Also shows why most have the ends splined to the bar...

Comment

The latest one, boats!

Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

Comment

Last week's one isn't much so it didn't get a link, it was a podcast.

This week though;

Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

Comment

#12 is up . Nitrous bottle filling .
                              Last edited by Dan Barlow; June 21, 2016, 02:00 PM.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

lucky #13 is up

good tips - though I caution a couple things:
                                1) when your buddy is helping you tig weld - give him your sleeves so he doesn't get burned.... sidekicks don't like weld flash burns and tend to be more reluctant to help another time
                                2) purging... let's do some math

Volume of a pipe is calculated as Pi x the radius x the length... thus, a 3" pipe that's 3 feet long has an internal volume of .15 cubic feet. If you're running 30 CFM, that works out to .5 cubic feet per second. Thus, it takes less than a second to completely purge the pipe. I like those caps he uses, but if you knock a pinhole in one end then pressurize the other end, you can plug the pinhole after a couple seconds and trap the argon in the pipe then not have to go to the office to ask for another tank of argon.... the crusty old bastards (my dad and Bill) who taught me how to weld would thoroughly blow up if they caught you running a purge with that kind of volume that Finnegan suggests. That said, the COBs were hiding in the office when I was welding their gas tank - so I wasn't terribly receptive to their criticism. They had a point, but I was also not happy being low man on the totem pole....

It's also too bad Finnegan doesn't show the weld on the inside - do it that way he's showing looks really really good.... though it affecting flow (sugaring) is up there with square exhaust as questionable statements.... still, the other point that it makes a more long-lasting weld is true....
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X