Finnegan's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next one is up.

I wish he had gone into a bit more detail about reading plugs and his thoughts about what he likes.

Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

The tie wrap heads should be on the backside.......errr behind the wires.....out of sight.

Comment

Nitrous an 4.2 inline 6, what could go wrong?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I took in the 250ci chevy and the 200 ford, grandma had a carbed 258 in the concord, and injected in the jeep..
          No way in hell to hot rod them. I tackled all of them to the point, my neighbor had me fixing at his 292, and another on his first year injected 300 ford.
          I tried to like the 6 cyl.

Just go with what is given, else go get a v8..
          I have since given the conclusion, they all need to be left alone, except a boxer.

the ohc I-6 is a different animal, only got to hear one run, never see it under hood.
          I hope they leave that 258 alone...get the hemi installed.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 18, 2016, 11:33 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

my thought too... there will be a schmidt-ton of irritated Heep owners when they find out that Finnegan blew up on of their vaunted (read: gutless, crappy mpg) 4.2 liter straight sixes....

Comment

I'd say our six ain't exactly powerful but makes plenty of twist and gets 17mpg day-to-day, near-20 on the highway at 70 which is a happy deal when you're travelling. Part of why I chose to not do a V8 swap, back when... I don't care if he blew one up, there's millions more laying around for a few bucks each, and all stock mid-seventies domestic motors were dogs anyhow.

Maybe I should actually watch this one? Idk.
              Last edited by Loren; July 19, 2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

The last two weeks had no Mondays, but this week has a Monday!

Tim
                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

valve lash.
                  I only did that once to a cam change...
                  by ear ball.
                  between cod and hot, there is a thing called warm.
                  I think that is in the bible or something.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Needs an ADD-edit version for people like me, I only lasted to 4:45 waiting for something to happen. Hemi's are a mild pain to do the valves on, plugs have to come out of-course and it's better to do it hot (ouch).

Comment

watch the last 30 seconds - the burn out to the coast home. That's the exciting part. The other bit, bolting chrome valve covers on, was...well.... free YouTube stuff of legend.
                      To be fair, I didn't know they made single-use-torque-wrenches for lashing valves - that was cool...

Comment

The part I found cool was the torque wrench had a hole in it for the allen wrench
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Coincidentally, I need to lash the valves on my Hemi Challenger, and I'm planning on installing the same chrome valve covers as I get it ready for Roadkill Nights in Pontiac. I may have a look for that torque wrench and feeler gauge they were using, looked very handy.

Comment

more on the pregnancy defeating device known as the Green Hornet.

Comment

I love the header, weight reduction on intake.
                              chevy was that crazy too..those washers sharing connections.

I poked a hole in my ford.. middle cylinders.
                              humoring a lean one is going to make some fat ones in the AFR.

maybe injection comes next. 6 coils... and a dieslegeek like tune.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2016, 06:26 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

Nostalgic stuff there. Reminds me of my adventures searching for more performance in my '86 Cj7 with 258 back in the early 90's. Same aluminum water heated intake.

I ditched the water heat stuff when I ditched the computer controlled carb (which went wonky and would idle from 200 all the way to 2000 - whenever it felt like it. Bank drive-thru's were interesting)

At the time I was repowering my Uncles Dodge dump truck. The old engine was sitting on the shop floor........and I just happened to compare the carbs. What do you know - exact match! At least the bolt pattern. It was an oldie, OEM manual choke 2 barrel on a 318.

Turns out it was perfect. I had experimented with a Clifford 4-barrel intake and a variety of carbs. Edelbrocks, various sizes of Holleys (even the old "Econo-Holley") and eventually settled on the unheated factory manifold with that old 318 2-barrel.

That combination did thousands of peppy, trouble-free miles, and is still in use on the same Jeep today. When I sold it I called dibs on that carb if he went some other direction. I'd like to stick it on my current Cj7 project.

Was really hoping to see the burnout results of the header/manifold conversion? Didn't have time to try it guys?
                                Last edited by STINEY; August 16, 2016, 07:50 AM.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X