Finnegan's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    IRSA76 You are correct . His attitude really turn at that point . The guy was going to let him go down the road with a plate that didn't belong to it . If you do get pulled over that gets you into more trouble than if you didn't have one at all . I'd have given him his plate or taken it off and frisbees it over the chain link fence. The 94 suburban I just bought I drove around a week in the city of Indianapolis with no plate at all . I just kept the title on my person and would have told them I just bought it . Of the 40 to 50 cars I've bought I only got pulled over without a plate once . And he wanted to make a big deal out of it .A little respect goes a long way and he eventually let me go .
    I'm not going to listen to it again, but that entire license plate thing doesn't make sense... why the seller put a bogus plate on to begin with begs a lot of questions, that said it's better to run with expired plates around here. That said, some states - the plate is the personal property of the registered owner, so the plates don't go with the car. That said, (again around here), you'd be far better off to run without plates then the wrong plates because the presumption would be stolen - not just that, but the lean of the cops would be to tow it then let it get sorted out before it gets released from impound..... another way of looking at it would be - it's easy to explain no plates, you have the dated, signed title right there. On the other hand, the wrong plates would look like premeditation. I think if it were me, I'd have sent the plates back with the seller and asked the hard question of where the real ones are.... as I said, there's questions and few answers.... but what the hey, it's TV, it shouldn't make sense.

that said, can you imagine the trouble that could have happened if the seller broke down and blocked the loading ramp at the airport? let's see: not registered to driver, fake plates, federal land.... oh yeah, and Finnegan with 20k in cash in the vehicle. I wonder how he got the cash through the airport, last time I checked, any cash more then 10k required a note from the President....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 22, 2019, 01:55 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• A spirited discussion, but nobody hit the REAL problem. NEVER buy a car from anyone but it's REAL owner. How many times has anyone had a car with problems and been told SELL IT and let the buyer beware? The guy that built that thing wouldn't have sold it without keeping it up. He probably parked it instead of selling it himself out of embarrassment. Sure it carried a race CAR fine, but tools, spares and crew as well? It probably wallowed all over a lane and a half everywhere it went, eating tires like Cherrios. But one look, first thought in my mind was "Finnegan and that thing DESERVE each other". I can see a future of miles of misery for both of them.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm not going to listen to it again, but that entire license plate thing doesn't make sense... why the seller put a bogus plate on to begin with begs a lot of questions, that said it's better to run with expired plates around here. That said, some states - the plate is the personal property of the registered owner, so the plates don't go with the car. That said, (again around here), you'd be far better off to run without plates then the wrong plates because the presumption would be stolen - not just that, but the lean of the cops would be to tow it then let it get sorted out before it gets released from impound..... another way of looking at it would be - it's easy to explain no plates, you have the dated, signed title right there. On the other hand, the wrong plates would look like premeditation. I think if it were me, I'd have sent the plates back with the seller and asked the hard question of where the real ones are.... as I said, there's questions and few answers.... but what the hey, it's TV, it shouldn't make sense.

that said, can you imagine the trouble that could have happened if the seller broke down and blocked the loading ramp at the airport? let's see: not registered to driver, fake plates, federal land.... oh yeah, and Finnegan with 20k in cash in the vehicle. I wonder how he got the cash through the airport, last time I checked, any cash more then 10k required a note from the President....
        The seller.
        If he drove it with no plate.
        Will get pulled over. if the police notice the lack of plate.
        That is a huge billboard to chance the lack of plate.
        At least if you get pulled over with the plate you can tell the police officer you grabbed the wrong one. and hope for the best.
        The buyer can, try to get out of a tow and stow by showing they just bought it, and hope the police officer tell them. to be careful, or park it until you call your insurance and get it on your policy.
        But , running down the road with no plate in a truck that is stalling out and getting stuck on the side of the road, would have been fun every time a police officer stopped to see what the problem was.
        Never mind that any toll booth, the truck would get flagged. and he'd get lit up.
        At least here if you don't have an easy pass transponder, they'll mail the "charge" to the account connected to the plate, and not have a state trooper racing after you and lighting you up.

Comment

• We move on to the next adventure with Finnegan's big box...

Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Carrier bearing at 30000 ? Maybe the original owner disconnected the odometer for all but the last year he drove it !
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• How long will it be till this thing gets a diesel . Even I say it needs one . One that doesn't require the firewall and the floor removed .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

How long will it be till this thing gets a diesel . Even I say it needs one . One that doesn't require the firewall and the floor removed .
                  as soon as g.m. donates a gm testing mule that has a dirtymax and Allison that is headed for the crusher.
                  or mopar as roadkill is sponsored by them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

as soon as g.m. donates a gm testing mule that has a dirtymax and Allison that is headed for the crusher.
                    or mopar as roadkill is sponsored by them.
                    The company can use it as an advertising write-off. Roadkill/Finnegan's Speed and Marine can use it as a subject for an episode or two. that's the way business works. Win-win.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I COULDN'T BELIEVE AFTER PAYING THE GUY HIS ASKING PRICE OF $20,000 THE ORIGINIAL OWNER WANTED $80 BUCKS FOR A BATTERY !!!!!!!! I'd be showing his last name all over the place to embarrass him .
                      For the same money, with a little effort he could have discovered this one is for sale-and is being used regularly by the current owner-good tires, registered and insured in eastern Pa.. Now this is a real part of racing history that would have served him better with all the stuff he hauls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48364865_573608766396586_598572583973027840_n.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1233258Click image for larger version

Name:	48369614_573609429729853_2686428238929985536_n.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1233259Click image for larger version

Name:	48392412_573609119729884_8447735101072080896_n.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1233260
                      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

• I think he wanted the quad cab.... though can you imagine the cool if you took the 2 1/2 ton frame with nose, detroit diesel, then quad cab in front of the box? that would be cool

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I think he wanted the quad cab.... though can you imagine the cool if you took the 2 1/2 ton frame with nose, detroit diesel, then quad cab in front of the box? that would be cool
                          The problems with the truck he bought compared to the big trucks-and I know as I have owned and used both-is that stretched crewcab frame is incapable of hauling much more weight than a vega safely and the brakes are absymal. The big trucks have much better brakes and much higher GVWs as the cab/chassis was made to haul heavy loads. The 2 speed rear axle helps a lot with the fuel mileage as well.
                          Last edited by stage1scott; February 19, 2019, 02:03 PM.
                          67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                          05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

• Originally posted by stage1scott View Post

The problems with the truck he bought compared to the big trucks-and I know as I have owned and used both-is that stretched crewcab frame is incapable of hauling much more weight than a vega safely and the brakes are absymal. The big trucks have much better brakes and much higher GVWs as the cab/chassis was made to haul heavy loads. The 2 speed rear axle helps a lot with the fuel mileage as well.
                            So you're saying reality tv isn't real?

He makes for good entertainment, but you are correct - don't try this at home, they're professionals... they write for magazines and stuff.

he was commenting that he was getting 4.5-7 mpg - which is interesting because my dad has a 34' class A motorhome that's 454 powered.... it gets 11.

Comment

• Finnegan's Crispy Potato Chip Co. Finnegan's Bread and Bakery.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by stage1scott View Post

Actually, this truck handles and stops better than any other crew cab square body trucks I've ever owned. In fact, it stops better than my '06 Duramax when I towed my enclosed TAG trailer behind it and that trailer had brakes on all three axles. I Just put 5,300 miles on the ramp truck and have zero complaints about how it hauls. The fuel economy sucks but I'll work on that. The old 454 V8 runs really well and the engine compartment is unmolested. I can buy a lot of fuel for the price and time spent on a diesel swap so I currently have no plans to perform an engine swap on the ramp truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X