Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look what I woke up to yesterday morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I woke up to yesterday morning...

I decided to bring my family to WV for Mother's Day. We were having our annual Dogwood Festival als, so it was nice to have the two on the same weekend. It's rained up here quite a bit as of late. It all came to a head yesterday morning...

Fortunately, no one was hurt. My parents place missed the flooding, but the basement did have groud-water back up into it a few feet. With all the logging that's taken place up here over the past 15 years, it's just another spring day in Southern West Virginia. :

Re: Look what I woke up to yesterday morning...

On one hand, glad you and your family got to go "home" for the holiday.....hate seeing that high water, thought.

Are there any fears of mudslides due to the logging? That one retention wall looked like it was ready to move at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Thankfully I've never had to deal with a flood, so much destructive force there. Wow.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Feel for everyone involved. We had a flood here three years ago, like 3 weeks before our wedding. There were dead fish all over the streets down in town, the library at the college had a couple feet of water in it, the ambulance building was under a couple feet, and there was just a lot of general destruction and mess.

We were just finishing our new house right about that time, were still two weeks out from moving in; the heavy rain washed a lot of my topsoil and freshly planted grass seed right off my land and down the road into the neighbors driveways and fields and woodland. Lotsa grass growing in the woods, now yet... > and my lawn still doesn't want to grow. Thankfully we're on a hill, high above any creeks, so our brand new house was spared the horror of being flooded.
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Shannon, was that close to the Gauley River? That river both scares the crap out of and enthralls me at the same time.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Thank God... I thought you were going to show me SNOW... whew... it's just a little water.... LOL

Okay... Seriously glad your all okay and Hey... take care of your Mom...

K

Comment

IDK how it works in the Navy, but did they make you sign for your gov't-issued boat and Paddle, Oak (one ea)?

Glad to hear you're doing OK. My family in IL got stomped by a Cat-2 Inland Hurricane...there is one whole town gone, and my hometown is pretty jacked up.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                Thankfully I've never had to deal with a flood, so much destructive force there. Wow.

Brian
                No... the destructive force we deal with is just New England Rust. Overcaffeinated, crack-smokin' rust monsters.

Seriously, glad no one was hurt.

PS, buy a snorkel for the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                  Are there any fears of mudslides due to the logging? That one retention wall looked like it was ready to move at the drop of a hat.
                  There have been constand fears of that and flooding since before the big 2001 flood in my hometown. They've sued the logging and coal companies in the area. They actually won against them in 2007, but the f*cking judge overturned the jury's ruling! He says there were too many errors in the case for the jury to make an accurate ruling. I think the bastards are in the logging and coal companies' pockets.

The river in the pictures is the Gyandotte river. Parents are okay. We pumped the basement out last night. Hell of a weekend, for sure.

Comment

i was in a flood when i was 6. i dont remember much of it but my parents got a video of it.

Comment

How much ya wanna bet that the Cones in that Dairy Queen are a bit soggy :o : :D. ~J/W-006.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                        How much ya wanna bet that the Cones in that Dairy Queen are a bit soggy :o : :D. ~J/W-006.
                        Believe it or not, most of the places that were flooded (including Dairy Queen) were open this morning. The employees busted ass and cleaned out the gunk after the water receded last night. This kind of thing happens so often anymore that we're all "old hats" at cleaning up after a flood. "Just another Spring day in Southern West Virginia".

Comment

So,this happens most Spring times ??? :P SIGH. ~J/W-006.

Comment

Where in West Virginia? I have some friends in the Huntington area and know that south of them down near Salt Rock, Harts and Champmanville, flooding is not uncommon.

Glad you and yours are okay.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
                              Where in West Virginia? I have some friends in the Huntington area and know that south of them down near Salt Rock, Harts and Champmanville, flooding is not uncommon.

Glad you and yours are okay.
                              Mullens, WV (in Wyoming County). And yes, it happens most in the Spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X