Hiking Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking Stories

When we left the Gear Head Inn a week ago Sunday, Bruce (cobra) and his friend Ivo took Bubba the Truck and we followed in Red to a state park in north Georgia. Bruce left his own truck at GHI, will be back to pick it up in about two weeks. They were going to hike the Appalachian trail. Well, the Guessers say it's going to snow up there tonight. It's bringing flashbacks.

When I was in my late teens, a friend of mine said let's go for a hike this Saturday. Okay, sounds like fun. We lived in South Carolina, it was only about a three hour drive up to the mountains, we could do that and get back home in a day. Day trip. John. He died at the age of 43 somewhere in Thailand. Heart attack, as told. I'll bet he was puffing on a Thai Stick in Thailand when he went, always of frail health and he just LOVED pot.

But anyhow, I rode with John to a spot at the base of Mount Mitchell in a VW Rabbit, if I remember correctly. Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi River, if I remember correctly.

He parked the car, we got out. We had light jackets on, it was about 55 degrees. 5 miles to the top, 5 miles back down, through the woods. It wasn't a part of the Appalachian Trail at all. It wasn't much of a beaten path or trail, somebody had painted tree trunks blue every so often so you could see the next blue tree trunk from the one you were standing beside.

Uphill, yes. Probably about 2500 feet of elevation change in that 5 miles up. Through creek beds and uneven ground....5 miles to the top. We were young. About 500 yards into the trek we were huffing and puffing and sweating and took our light jackets off and started carrying them. Hike, hike, hike.

At the top, it was about 24 degrees and the wind was going 60 mph, blizzard, snow going sideways, whiteout conditions. All of the facilities were closed, nobody up there. Nowhere to get out of it with our light jackets. We were in peril. Get back down FAST. So we trotted down the mountain as fast as we could and about 1000 feet of de-elevation later things calmed down and warmed up a lot. The terror was only at the top. That's the mountains for ya.

If we had slipped and fallen down, anything....nobody else up there, cell phones had not even been dreamed of yet (plus, cell usage in the mountains is spotty at best)....one or the both of us would have been done in.

Kids. On a "let's do it" adventure.

Last edited by pdub; May 4, 2016, 03:14 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I used to do a lot of hiking, and atv.
    20 - 30 something miles on a home made snowmobile once.
    lagrange maine to schoodic lake and back. Single digits in the sun.. minus the crazyass wind.

maine has shorter mountains, very sharp and young looking..but being so close to the sea, its like amini version of the great plains being called a valley to the ocean. they do big things in other words..
    cold is not the word.
    Geomagnetics in tighter bands, the canadian tundra winds.
    In fact, I have a water pump shaft that shrunk this past winter on the truck. The pulley hits the casting.
    wasn't even all that cold here.. but that is one common thing that still happens.

just 5 miles from here I trekked a gated road, 4.2 miles in all.
    my leg is very bad, but I keep trying.

it is these walks since my air force tour, the scream that never ends.. I know my head was exceeded.
    good for anybody.

It is that the silence is something. Better than nothing.
    Bigger than anything.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My pants be falling down so I hiked them beetches up!

Comment

I always thought that if God meant for man to walk He wouldn't have given us the intelligence to invent the internal combustion engine or the fuel to run it. Those who hike to a summit when they could have sat comfortably in their Transportation Unit and looked at it from afar deserve whatever punishment comes their way.

(The above scenario is WAY off my actual views but that's another story.....)

Dan

Comment

Mom and Dad hiked the whole Pacific Crest Trail (Mexico to Canada) in sections, in their sixties. I'd sometimes go on a day trip with them, put down 12-15 miles just like that. Sis would spend weeks at a time in the Sierras back when, just her and the dog, all this long, long before cell phones. To be that far out, totally dependent on your two legs and what you can carry on your back... Me, not so much of a hiker and hurt each knee anyhow in separate incidents when I was a kid, leaving me to bicycles to get my exercise (softer hit on the legs, running pedals around instead of taking steps). Still, I loved hiking down creeks to fish, did lots of that. Did have a scary time once, a bud and his girl wanted to go try some of that with me and dammit if we didn't get the whole way out there and then within an hour it clouded up and started to snow...we were definitely not equipped for that to happen and as the "guide" I felt responsible. We huffed and puffed it back and did OK but as far as I know, neither of them did any hiking again. All that a long time ago, I'm a lazy-ass now.

Oh, one more...got sliding down a large rock and at the bottom of it I missed the next rock I was going to hit with my foot and jammed it in the space instead, giving myself the ankle-twist from hell. All alone, miles from anything. Nothing to do 'cept sit there for a couple hours to wait for the pain to subside enough, then limp back. I don't think I caught any trout that day either.
          Last edited by Loren; May 5, 2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

See, hiking is NOT good for humans!

Dan

Comment

The trouble with you guys is, you don't know when you need your punishment...

Comment

I have a shirt that says this:
                Hike alone,
                Feed the bears
                and drink lots and lots of beer

Thank you
                Your local Search and Rescue.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Oh well...be a dumbass in the city, maybe the guys at the morgue have a t-shirt for that...

But there are things I did as a young-strong-immortal kid, that I wouldn't do now. 99% of my mountain biking was/is alone, but nobody else will go and I stay toward traveled paths.

Comment

"travelled paths"
                    Always amazes me those who jump barriers to get close to the edge and falls down, either on a rocky face or the ocean..
                    Then that "guide" who took a several day hike in Denali Natl Park deciding to scamper over rocks off the trail for "a better view" fell, hit his head and died..
                    I get wanting to be "pioneerish" adventureous and all those cool monickers.. But damn! A slip, you be dead!
                    As I age, flexibility goes down, catching myself HURTS as much as a fall sometimes..
                    I have taken to carrying a 5 gallon bucket so I can stand up if I fall..problem is the damn bucket rolls away when I fall.. Need to find a square one..

Comment

Or skiing "out-of-bounds" roped off areas and getting lost in an avalanche or hurt and need to be rescued.. When we lived in Colorado that seemed to happen pretty often so they started billing the perps for the rescue costs. I think my bullet-proof started wearing off about 40ish. Now I wouldn't leave the lodge bar.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                      X