I Don't Want to Go To Work Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Want to Go To Work Tomorrow

I've never in 40 years so wanted to not go to work tomorrow. It's a dread. I'm scheduled, on paper, to do stuff in a week that would take a mortal a month to do. Stretched slam damn out, can't do all of it, can't be in 5 places at one time. This morning, looking at tomorrow morning, I don't want to go. I've never felt like this before.

I'm tired of it, all of it. Who needs a guy who can't fix a car very well, but can make a few folks laugh if they're already in a good mood? If you're hiring, I'm real interested. I'm about 5 years short of retirement, so don't ask me to lift heavy loads all day. I can go fetch lunch for everybody, as long as everybody pays up front.

I've got a gig but I seriously don't want to go to it.
    Last edited by pdub; May 8, 2016, 04:12 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Someone gave me the Best Advice years which was the following, Find something you really love to do and then figure out how to make a living doing it!!!

For each day I cannot wait to start working simply because I love what I do !!

I am 69 years old and would never even consider retiring because I am having more fun working and truly love what I do

Jim Hill

Comment

40 years gone by must have seen a lot that does not make it.
      a months work in a day is skillz...planned well to talk of it later.

I am 6 years of death death and more death...retards, fairy tales, daydreamers and proud to be here.
      work is great for keeping the size of things.

yesterday, I smelled pine needles and forest fire..
      ashes started coming down.
      I thought it was canada in the wind.

no. it was a brush fire a hundred yards down the road.
      work is great for keeping the size of things.

my new computer has this sneaky hidden checkbox "fast start mode"
      it won't shut down when it checks boxes itself..

such is life. take each morning easy.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 8, 2016, 04:42 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You GO Jim! Good on ya. That's uplifting. I'm stuck in a pit that's getting deeper, so it's great that somebody's having fun and getting paid for it.
        Last edited by pdub; May 8, 2016, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Sorry you feel like that - I had days when I was there with you. What got me by was the reminder that: "Work is NOT your life. It's what you do to finance your life, which is outside that office window." When I was about 20+ years into my gig I started asking the Boss after getting a "fresh, new!!!" assignment - "OK, what DON'T you want done? I work 40 hours a week, maybe a bit more occasionally, but all the stuff I've been doing plus this new stuff is NOT going to fit in my 40 hours. (I learned to take a list of my current assignments into these meetings) so OK - what don't you want done?" Almost always the new stuff fell away. Don't expect to get the next big raise if you adopt this tactic (not a team player) but it WILL protect your sanity.

Good luck - love ya, man

Dan

Comment

I have found once I walked out the door every night, I stopped worrying or thinking about work.. Something I never was able to do..
            Then someone said, There is life outside work, it'll be here when you are dead and gone, don't let it control your life, punch the clock do the best you can, and when you punch out and walk out the door, live your life..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              "OK, what DON'T you want done?..."

Dan
              Yep. "Fast Cheap or Good. Pick two" will get you labelled, too.

I got that way about my last gig, and decided I was retired. About ten years too early... but as it turns out, I got to spend a lot of time with my Dad. Worth it, every red cent I didn't earn. I am not super fond of my current gig, but I am of the pay. To quote a good friend from my last job "Yeah, it's a shit sandwich but they've wrapped it in so much bread you kinda have to eat it."

Lobotomize and get rich.
              Last edited by Beagle; May 8, 2016, 07:24 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yep Jim your right about doing what you enjoy. I had that until the price of oil went bust. Worked 34 yrs in the oil & gas industry and now setting home wondering what to do. Even if oil prices shot up tomorrow it would still take year or more to restart drilling again and at 66 not much of a chance getting back to work. Man what a great part time job, working 14 day on and 14 days off.
                Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
                  Someone gave me the Best Advice years which was the following, Find something you really love to do and then figure out how to make a living doing it!!!

I am 69 years old and would never even consider retiring because I am having more fun working and truly love what I do

Jim Hill
                  I tell my soon to be 19 year old son that at least once a week, not sure he's listening ( I didn't ). As far as my work it's gate to gate! I don't give it another thought till the next day! It is not my life.
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Pdub, count your blessings for having a job, for having the health and ability to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post

Jim Hill
                      Jim what do you do?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Pdub, count your blessings for having a job, for having the health and ability to work!
                        Yup, that's it right there DB, it sure is.

If I could work gate to gate I would stay in that mindset all the time, and I usually AM in that mindset. But they call me when I'm at home. Even when I'm not "on call." They say, I'm sorry to bother you, but...(whatever it is they can't seem to solve themselves again)...

A couple Friday afternoons ago I was leaving out the front door and the guard said, "I'll try not to bother you this weekend." I don't know where in the world it came from but I miraculously answered, "Well, when you call I'll try not to be bothered."

Comment

I enjoy my job 90% of the time. I enjoy it most when I get out from the desk. Given the chance to be completely rich and accountable to no one but me and my family, I'd take it though

Attached Files
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 8, 2016, 10:58 AM.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            I enjoy my job 90% of the time. I enjoy it most when I get out from the desk. Given the chance to be completely rich and accountable to no one but me and my family, I'd take it though

I've been there. Those are NOT model cars and trucks at the bottom of that pit - the place is HUGE!!

Probably not a solution for PW, unfortunately - that position is filled.

Dan

Comment

That sounds like my old job. CYA was a full time job in itself. I was really miserable, the wife just about had it with me. One day a bulb went on. It was just work, a place I had to spend 8 hours a day. I,was true to myself. I would do what was asked of me to the best of my abilities wether or not my employer realized it. When 3 o'clock rolled around and I was off the clock I dropped all things work related like a bad habit. If I'm not getting paid I'm not working. I had a very cut and dried philosophy. After that work was a lot easier. For my current job, I was recommended to my current employer by someone else, I didn't go looking for them. I haven't had a bad day at work for over 8 years now!
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X