The Handwritten Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Handwritten Letter

One day last week (Hell Week at work) I finally came home late in the afternoon and was backing Bubba into the driveway. My eyeballs were hanging out, couldn't think too straight by then, exhausted. And Home after all of it.

Here comes a guy up the sidewalk. Yeah, he's coming alright. NOW what?!?! He came up waving a business card. Holeeee crap, you've got to be kidding. He was dirty, he had sweat and mud all over him. No, I'm not at all ready for this, out of the blue, and nobody else was outside at the time, I obviously looked available... this is already not panning out too good for him OR for my behavior.

He handed his business card to me and said, "Good afternoon sir, I hate to just walk up on a man but....I really need some help with my car (pointing two doors down the street with the hood up). I'm a licensed inspector, I've been crawling underneath that house for two hours, it's under contract for sale and I was sent here to inspect it."

Well, okay, so.... he said it was raining when he got there and he left his headlights on the whole time the car was parked, now the battery was dead. He said, "I've got jumper cables with me, I just need a jump."

Okay, I'm in. I said I'll bet my jumper cables are probably better (fancy smart cables), I'll help you out. Jumped him off with Bubba and he was on his way. He was most appreciative, nice guy.

Today there's a letter in the mail. It was a handwritten thank-you note for jumping him off. I was so tired that afternoon, I don't recall ever even telling him my name, I don't think I did because in my mood I was about to run him off as soon as he walked up. The note said thank you and if I'm ever in need in Knoxville, please give him a call (with his phone number). I guess he figured out my name from our street address.

That's just too cool. NOBODY hand writes a note anymore. And nobody goes to that much trouble anymore to thank someone, but he did. and what a surprise. Unit and I both looked at the envelope, the return address, and we both said it was some kind of junk made out to look real so we would at least open it. No, it was real alright. Pretty darned amazing.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Prety cool of both of you .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Good on ya, P.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Tonight I called his phone number. I got his voice mail but I said, "Thank you Sir for your thank-you letter.."

That is SO uncommon. So not "now" in this day and age.

Comment

Our one DIL is excellent about doing hand-written thank-you notes and insists that the Grand Daughters do the same. What excellent training for the girls - I'll wager they grow up to be gracious ladies like their Mom (and Grandmas, both of whom fit in that category). But it IS unusual these days.

Dan

Comment

it is this courtesy that invented formal records of military valor..
            the writing has more value.

its like playing with angels otherwise, a battle never ending for the insane.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Our one DIL is excellent about doing hand-written thank-you notes and insists that the Grand Daughters do the same. What excellent training for the girls - I'll wager they grow up to be gracious ladies like their Mom (and Grandmas, both of whom fit in that category). But it IS unusual these days.

Dan
              It's pretty much a matter of expected protocol that one should send a thank you note, like, "Thank you for the wonderful blender, that was a great wedding present." Or, "Thank you for the graduation money, etc...." That stuff is driven behind the scenes whenever somebody sets themselves up for a gift grab by sending invitations, etc.

But for somebody to send a thank-you note for jumping off their car....that's just amazing. He had to figure out who I was, and then sent the note. That's just WOW, I still can't get over it. And all the news we hear about is bad. For a lot of years I always thought the good guys are winning, and for a lot of years I totally forgot that. Now I'm reminded. Yes. And it cost him a card and an envelope and a stamp. That's fortunes less than the human value that was added. I'm still just overly impressed, amazed and surprised in fact.

Never thought I'd see anything like that again, not these days.

Comment

Working...
              X