My carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My carb

It has a problem, can't figure out why this is. It's supposed to be all kinds of messed up, unable to run, eaten away, leaking from every orifice and more. It sat for the 5th winter in a row with E85 in it. This year I took the top off and took a pic to see just how bad it could be. It was dusty. Put it back together, cleaned the stuff off the old Goat, started it and moved it outside so it won't get over spray on it from the 65. Everybody says it is sooooo bad for old cars, eats carbs, fuel lines, and everything needs to be stainless. It makes me giggle when I see this, because everyone could be running race fuel they bought at the pump, but they want to run came whiz instead. Insert maniacal laughter here.

Judging from this pic, no great care was taken before putting it away for the winter. Yes I am purposely not doing anything special, like cleaning it off, or even wiping down the rest of the engine. I mean, who wipes down the engine in their daily driver except for those of us who drive cool old stuff?

Straight E85 is probably less caustic than the crap Gasohol we use here in Ohio
    That shit will destroy carbs and lines if you don't burn it out before storage.
    My buddies Ford carb had dried crud in it, and the fuel lines got ate up.
    My generator carb got pretty messed up from Gasohol too..

Comment

You are right, its all the crap they put in with the ethanol, because the alky improves it enough that you can run it. Without the ethanol in it, they couldn't sell it. People blame the ethanol, when in reality its the very bad gasoline components. Marketing at its finest.

The 65 GTO has all new everything, new lines, new tank, the works. I rebuilt a Qjet for it, but the car isn't done yet so I didn't get to drive it much. It sat over a winter, and in the spring it wouldn't run. No idle, won't stay running, hard to start. I put another 5 gallons of fresh gas in it, and it ran a little better. In less than two months that fresh gas went bad too, and the car wouldn't stay running. Clean the carb, pull it apart, and its a mess inside. This was ethanol free premium, because I had 5 gallons for my LS1 that spring.

So the E85 in the 70 GTO can sit for a couple years, since last year everything but my truck sat while I built my shop, but the "pure" gasoline in the 65 GTO goes bad after a month. Now that the 65 has EFI on it, the gas is still bad, but it will stay running. I think I will pull the carb apart that was on the 65 and look inside.

Comment

Heeheehee.....he said Gasohol......word from my youth in the '70's.

Everything old is new again, right? Didn't work then, lets rename it and try again.

Sorry, had a moment there.

That's real interesting on the E85 non-corrosive deal. I keep straight 110 leaded in the green sandrail - for the 11.5-1 compression AND for the ability to sit for months without turning my dual Weber 44IDF's into a nasty mess inside. Did that once, never again.

On the flip side, the '92 chevy truck with TBI fired right up after sitting for 7+ years with a half-tank of the lowest dollar swill out there.
        Last edited by STINEY; May 18, 2016, 06:47 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

It's funny, you could have 10 cars all the same and all sitting the same amount of time. 5 will run with a charged battery, the other 5 will have varying levels of problems. Same car, same gas, same time not same result. I've a least one carb (a q-jet) that is completely clogged because they let it sit with fuel in it. One thing for sure, it takes more than a winter for most to have problems.

with that said, Arco is the most problematic fuel we have on the west coast.... which is odd because all of it comes from the same base stock (Alaska crude) and we have the Arco refinery an hour away.... who supplies most other stations. Again, it should be the same but it's not. If I burn Chevron fuel I get 10% better fuel economy than I do anyone else... but only during the summer.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

fuel and carbs is the least of the problems.
            get a whiff of train tracks carrying to pulp mills...
            or drive behind a trash truck.

it is not about gas with carbs.
            I still run one, as most here know.

the other thing is the poly half life dying out in 10-20 year intervals.
            that gets all cars.. plastic seals and lines.
            I did find tricks with LDPE and HDPE.. food grade plastics for seals.

I'd use e85 anywhere.. would love to try it on the subaru. the digital ramp for timing would get it right in.
            fuel options from 1psi to 12psi right at my turns.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

the biggest problem with the ethanol is it's thirst for water... an inhibitor is introduced which is tarlikeand tends to settle out... when it does, it breaks off in globs, which plugs up small orifices...how do I know this? being an instrument man in a corn plant opend my eyes... I use E-10 in everything, but I also use sta-bil... it works!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The ethanol plants want to keep the water out so it can be mixed with gasoline and not separate. You can run hydrous 180 proof E100 without problems just as easily as E85. You have to add more than two entire gallons of water to 10 gallons of neat ethanol to start having problems. That is lots of water. Then you need to let it sit for a very long time. You cant mix that much water with E85, it will separate after it sits a bit. It would take more than lots of humid days to add more than 20% water to the tank, but condensation has been rusting out gas tanks for decades, since the gasoline floats on top and the water is on the bottom.

That stuff you're talking about falling out of suspension in globs, if its kinda yellowish I have seen that in lots of lawnmowers. In which case, it's the missing piece of the puzzle as to what is gumming up single jet carbs. I haven't had any issues with straight ethanol in small engines, but lots of people do with E10. That is the other reason I post stuff like this, to get experience form others that might explain what is happening.With the small fuel tank on the lawnmowers, some humid days could be enough to make that stuff fall out and collect. If it gets rained on with the vented caps, you might get more water in there. It's funny, still isnt the ethanol causing the problem, its something added to it so it will still work with gasoline. I find that very amusing.

Comment

Working...
                X