Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world records

this was fun.

I had joked for years about a subaru wagon.. far from being special at anything.
    it was derived from my own path in several subjects, being a laborer.

one was 1300 pairs of shoes a day , as I was the one that passed all the shoe lasts to the works.
    one pair at a time. 50-100 pound buckets...
    it was comical to think, no one else is doing it, hence record jokes.

the other one was derived from lumber mills.
    1 cedar log at a time for the antique peeler.. ending up with quite a pile by dusk/late afternoon.

yet another lumber mill, joking out loud again.. at 130 pounds I was stacking green lumber straight from the saws.. swiveling both feet off the ground and doing this crazy green bounce to the organizing piles.

Did that for several hours at a time.

yet another one, joking out loud..
    england and back in about 48 hours..
    twice.
    I did not know what country I was in at times.

funny to think about. Workers working.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Green chain at a lumber mill putting out 2X12 and larger..(mostly 4X12) killed my back..
    Bouncing them off the pile, your leather apron, splinters flying...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Green chain at a lumber mill putting out 2X12 and larger..(mostly 4X12) killed my back..
      tough job. I was young.. 17 or so.
      I did think basic training was fun in comparison.

I wonder how many records are out there.. just not written.
      strange blessing to carry around, not knowing to have one.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

What a fun video!

When I was a kid I got the GWR book every year when it came out in fat paperback and loved poring through it, all the weirdness. Way back then the record for consecutive pogo stick jumps was a somewhere over 2000. I had a pogo stick. 2000 seemed like a low number to me, that's do-able.

So I went out in the driveway and started hopping and counting, practicing for a world record attempt. I hopped and counted up to 1000 and it sure seemed to take a REAL long time. Realizing I was less than halfway there, it already seemed like I'd been hopping for a week, I got off of the pogo stick. I was not the very least bit tired. I was a kid, I got bored with it, how long that would take. Was ready to go and do something else instead, whatever that something else was.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Oh wow thanks for bringing that memory back! But luckily ( or unluckily still not sure ) I was moved to the veneer dryers, a steady stream of veneer sheets spitting out on a spinning round table with three people pulling and stacking into buggies for 8 hrs then thankfully got moved to the infeed of the dryer. Always better when you run the machine instead of it running you! BUT!! Thankful for the job at the time.
          Neat video!
          Last edited by corvettedad; May 19, 2016, 03:16 PM.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

this one.
            I cried like a ford driver.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
              this one.
              I cried like a ford driver.
              That's mighty patriotic, but that's marketing right there. Waaaaaay back in the day, there was a pickup truck commercial, can't remember Chevy or Ford, they were pulling a railroad boxcar or two or three with it on TV. Ohhhhh, the power of it was the suggestive point. It was a visual thing. I'll bet that sold a whole lot of trucks.

I ended up working on a shipping dock and I found out if you let the brakes off on an empty boxcar, if it was on level ground, two guys can actually push on it and grunt and make it move. I was one of the two guys, 140 pounds. It's a visual.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I hear ya pdub.
                We used to roll the kc135, enough hands on the tires.
                >100k pounds.

the feeling of real lever and tugging, it is a manual transmission..
                no matter the model. I don't see manual shift, even the written max is a stress.

this new stuff is fun, and nostalgic anyway.

uh oh. Click image for larger version

Name:	1479745473909.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1132238

Ford resets the flag tugging record.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 21, 2016, 12:10 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

After a drive from S.D. to Phoenix and back this weekend, I read up on the highways we traveled. From Wikipedia, re: Interstate 8 construction through Imperial Valley (sea-level or below, flat, hot) around 1970:

The Matich Construction Company attempted to set the world record for laying the most concrete in a day, aided by the level terrain, but failed to do so after the concrete mixer malfunctioned

Not on YouTube. That's all I've got...

Comment

You'd think they'd have a BACK-UP MIXER??!!

Comment

Working...
                    X