Thinking about heading to Maxton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about heading to Maxton...

Trying to round up some buddies to go to Maxton in April. I haven't tried any top end stuff yet.
    Couple of questions:

How many passes do you typically get?
    Can you take riders down?
    Can you switch out drivers?

Thanks!

Re: Thinking about heading to Maxton...

Where are you going down there from? Just thought I'd ask because I'm thinking of going in April. N.E. Ohio, 10Hrs away by Mapquest. I've never done it-sound like too much fun to pass up.

Comment

Driving from Greenville. SC.

I have Ran 8 passes before, and I have also made only 5 passes. It all depenon the Amount of Bikes and Cars that show up. If you get a good day of clean passes and no problems it goes pretty quick.

No riders allowed in the Vehicle, Better get a Camera mount for that.
      You can switch out Drivers but they must register with the Ladies in the Trailer first.

I'm sure you will get smore post. Believe me you will get a complete briefing before you ever run. I think it was one of the Highlights of actually making it to Maxton. Hope to see you there. April is coming quick.

Comment

Cool, I'll be coming over from the Chattanooga TN area, 6-7 hour drive. I'm trying to talk my buddy with a Berger GMMG 99 Camaro into going and hopefully will have my Chevelle back on the road by then (we're pretty close). If not can I run my Jeep?? ;D

Comment

I hate Jeeps at Maxton... but yeah they are legal.. Scary as hell but legal...

Unless it's a lowered Cherokee or something...

Amount of runs is directly proportional to the number of entry's... with 120 entries you get 5-8 runs if you stay in the lanes both days... if we have 80 entries you get about as much as you want to run... like around 20... I think the days of 80 entries are over... but all off meets (non Magazine meets )... are slow... especially June....

You need a full face Snell 2000 or better helmet and 3 point seat belt... ( standard lap and shoulder belt )... to run 135mph... ... Keep it right around there and we'll all have fun... exceed it and you'll get a ride in my truck... ( I've heard that's not a pleasent experience )....

We're also going to try a penalty box this year... for those folks that simply need thier wrist slapped and want to play along...
          ( if they don't want to play along they can simply leave )...

Bottom line Maxton is a fun place... not a fancy place...

I am your race director, Rookie Orientation guy, Cone pickerupper/putter downer... general life support system for the girls in the trailer.... Dan Stokes on here is our Volunteer Coordinator.... and this week I'm your rule book writer/reviewer...

Of all the places I've raced... Maxton is by far the coolest... the people are the best by far... the attitude is laid back but serious about Safety... ( so don't plan on running your POS if it's Junk )... we're not about money... ( it will seem that way the first time...but after that it's fairly cheap entertainment..) Honestly... The East Coast Timing association is a wonderful group of folks to hang out with...

It will remind you of most kinds of racing in the 60's... friendly... competitive... but folks in your class will help you try and break thier records.... just the way it is...

Keith

Comment

I've never raced in the '60s (maybe cause I was born in '69 I guess) but I would sure like to participate at such an event.
            Too bad for me because of my location there are so much more things to take care of before I can even think of throttling down that road at Maxton.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I went on to the first meet as a spectator last year on my way back from swapping cars with my son at Clemson. I spent all day Saturday just soaking it all in. I was so impressed with the event that when I made it home I mailed my registration (life member). Kieth, Tonya, Joe, Donna, Dan Stokes, and everyone else make this event one of the must visits if you are a junkie. This is grassroots racing at its finest. Proffesionally run, friendly, and limited rules- Heck the rule book is mostly records. One thing you will find though is that if there is any area that Kieth and crew are sticklers on it is safety. Don't even try to skirt the rules. DO NOT Run faster than you are allowed. You will spend time in the penalty box and/or not be allowed back EVER. All that being said it is high speed racing. Build it to the rules and you can go as fast as your ride will let you. I mean where else can you go racing and have pretty women registering you, racers offering to help or answer questions, a scary looking biker giving a racers prayer and singing the national anthem.

Comment

....Just like racing in the 60's? ehh-I was born it the 80's.

Comment

Well if you were born in the 80's and only know bracket racing... this place will blow you away...

We don't have jerks on average... ( a few sneak in and I sick Al on them )....

We don't have Smack talking ... On average ( what's up with that... a polite society... hmmm )

We don't have a loser every round... ( think about that for a second... )

We don't Cheat... nor tolerate those who do ... PERIOD...

Man the list is endless...

Let me tell you what it is about.... It's about a bunch of guys and thier junk going as fast as they can in a mile with what they brought to the table... ( within the safety limits of the equipment ) If you happen to have fairly fast junk with proper safety stuff you might end up being the Fastest person in your class EVER.... not this meet.. or this year... EVER... that's worth a record from us... nothing fancy... no money... just a record and the pride that comes from knowing you have the Fastest XXX that has ever run at Maxton...

SO where is the competition in that eh? Trust me.. the damn place will eat your brain up... and if your already built this way... it will be the one place you can go and be at home with a ton of people like you...

When you come racing ... folks want to help you achieve your goals because they feel like they've become a part of your acheivement and can go home feeling really good about that... even if thier junk didn't run as planned....

You can also check in with Dan here and become a Volunteer at Maxton... no experience nessesary... and Personally I think it's how everyone should come out the first few times... just come and hang out... pick up the Vib's... get a feel for how it works... understand that it's about Personal goals and acheivement ... Trust me ... you'll never look at racing the same...

it's really that good.

Keith

Comment

I finally caught up with this post. Ditto what they all said. It's really about personal satisfaction, so if you're looking for coverage in national mags, etc - 'tain't likely. If, on the other hand, you want to know that you have done more than you have ever done before - PERFECT.

I've had folks drive half way across the state to help me mock up my roll cage (THANKS, Terry!), lend me tires, share driving tips, and help me get in the record book. I've shared my car with bike racers who never took a 4-wheeled vehicle down the track before and had them beat my times. And had a BLAST doing it!

Which gets me to the volunteer part. I'm required by law to make a pitch for all (especially newbies) to volunteer. As I always point out, this is real grass-roots racing - so, no volunteers, no racing. We NEED lots of vols to make it fun and easy for everyone. It really IS fun and, I think, the best way to get your feet wet in both LSR and Maxton. You'll meet all the racers, see what they do and how they do it. You'll rub elbows with nobodys like me and hot shots like Keith (he's really OK) and the likes of Wayne Jessel. Sometimes George Poteet. Maybe even David and/or Chad. You just never know.

We have a number of stations that need staffed, so I'm sure we can find something that you'll find interesting. We need folks to help our Chief Starter Al (mostly keeping the vehicles in order prior to the start line), staff for Shut Down (to assure that the track is clear before we send the next racer down), if the spectator crowd is big enough (like in April) we need people to sort out the parking, gate staff to collect spectator entry fees and assure that everyone has a wrist band, someone to staff the time slip printer and get the slips to the right person, and a hundred other tasks that just HAVE to be done to make these events happen.

So contact me thru the ECTA website <ecta-lsr.com> and I'll get you lined up for a slot and we'll all have a blast,

Later
                    Dan Stokes
                    Volunteer Coordinator
                    ECTA

Comment

I'm seriously thinking about volunteering. I don't know anything about LSR, but I have been reading about it here and this seems like a great opportunity to have some fun and meet some carjunkies.

And I want to meet Dan and pick his brain about my inline 6 project.

I'll be back in Va Beach by then (barely) so it shouldn't be too far a drive. Might even think about driving my Chevelle that far...
                      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Pete... ya gotta race it... you'd spank Dan's ass and I'd love it.... to dang funny...

Just keep in mind it needs to run around 108 in a mile...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

You need a full face Snell 2000 or better helmet and 3 point seat belt... ( standard lap and shoulder belt )... to run 135mph... ... Keep it right around there and we'll all have fun... exceed it and you'll get a ride in my truck... ( I've heard that's not a pleasent experience )....
                          Keith, I'd like to come down with my 68 Cougar, to run in the street 135 mph class. It just has lap belts ... if I reinstall the separate shoulder belts, will that be legal, or does it have to be the modern 3-point style belt?

thx,
                          Ed N.
                          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Don't care how you strap your nappy butt in so long as you can get out normally.... in other words...it must be SAFE.... if it sucks I'll let you know... send you to see Joe Timney.... He brings seat belts and stuff as part of his business.... bout that simple... Other then we'd welcome you ... it's always nice to see new folks...

Keith

Comment

Ed -
                              I sent pics of my last year's set up to White Monster. I thru-bolted a 1/4" plate to the package tray with another plate underneath, then bolted the shoulder belt to the plate. Probably not the VERY best, but it is much better than no shoulder belts at all. Let's see if I can attach these pics again...

Keith let me go 135 with this set up last year, so I guess it wasn't TOO bad. Unfortunately, the car did NOT let me go 135 last year! Let's see what new bits and pieces can do.

Dan

Originally posted by fast Ed
                              Originally posted by KeithTurk

Keith, I'd like to come down with my 68 Cougar, to run in the street 135 mph class. It just has lap belts ... if I reinstall the separate shoulder belts, will that be legal, or does it have to be the modern 3-point style belt?

thx,
                              Ed N.

Comment

Working...
                              X