Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Random thought thread

Originally posted by tedly
    Epsom salt isn't sodium like table salt, it's magnesium sulfate. It will not only help to bump up the magnesium in the plants and veggies, it actually helps them grow bigger and fullerand produce more veggies. I stumbled across a page a few years ago where a guy was growing 2 gardens side by side. The only difference between the 2 was he used epsom salt on one and not the other. There was a noticeable difference. I'll try to find it again and post the link. I mix 1 tablespoon in a gallon of water and give it to my potted plants every 2 weeks. Same thing with the garden. On the other weekends I give them a mixture of fish emulsion and water. You can find fish emulsion at virtually any garden center including Home Despot or Lowes. It's basically ground fish. Very high in nitrogen. Remember the story of the Indians teaching the pilgrims to put a fish in the ground with their corn seed? Same deal. It also helps to really bring out the flavor of the veggies. Stinks to high heaven though. Coffee grounds and egg shells also help to add nitrogen to the soil. I have a compost heap started, but there isn't nearly enough to cover my 20 by 30 foot garden. That's where all the coffee grounds, egg shells, newspapers, and veggie scraps in my house go. You'd be surprised what you can compost. I tend not use Miracle Grow and most prepackaged fertilizers for plants I'm going to eat, but that's just a personal preference.
    Great stuff Ted, especially the last line.
    NEVER use anything not specifically labeled for crops on your vegetable garden.

We had a customer who was placing GrubEx into their vegetable garden and I happened to see it on the soil (in the garden) during a visit to the lawn on the property. I was horrified in thinking that one of my guys had placed it there. He proudly told me that he had done it. I then explained to him that the product will translocate (move) through the roots and the rest of the plant and eventually end up in the fruit of his tomato plants. He was shocked and said he had been doing it doing it for years. I didn't have to verbalize the fact that he was feeding his family the product, even if only in trace amounts.

Ted, sounds like that garden of yours will be kicking ass this year!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks guys - the only miracle grow we're using is the bag of veggie potting soil mix on strict orders from the same guy that gave us the grow box design and the tips to use epsom salt and vigoro brand veggie fertilizer in the boxes.

What's your opinion on "Preen" that's something we have used on the garden to keep weeds out of there once it's planted....
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Bryan. One of my many oddities is I like growing plants. Don't ask me why, something about it just appeals to me. Being a cook and food lover, there is absolutely no comparison between food grown in the garden and food bought at the store. Store bought veggies and herbs are very bland to me now. Here's a couiple of links about epsom salt in the garden.
        http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitive/epsomll4e.htm
        http://www.coolgreenery.com/Epsomsalt.html
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          Originally posted by tedly
          Epsom salt isn't sodium like table salt, it's magnesium sulfate. It will not only help to bump up the magnesium in the plants and veggies, it actually helps them grow bigger and fullerand produce more veggies. I stumbled across a page a few years ago where a guy was growing 2 gardens side by side. The only difference between the 2 was he used epsom salt on one and not the other. There was a noticeable difference. I'll try to find it again and post the link. I mix 1 tablespoon in a gallon of water and give it to my potted plants every 2 weeks. Same thing with the garden. On the other weekends I give them a mixture of fish emulsion and water. You can find fish emulsion at virtually any garden center including Home Despot or Lowes. It's basically ground fish. Very high in nitrogen. Remember the story of the Indians teaching the pilgrims to put a fish in the ground with their corn seed? Same deal. It also helps to really bring out the flavor of the veggies. Stinks to high heaven though. Coffee grounds and egg shells also help to add nitrogen to the soil. I have a compost heap started, but there isn't nearly enough to cover my 20 by 30 foot garden. That's where all the coffee grounds, egg shells, newspapers, and veggie scraps in my house go. You'd be surprised what you can compost. I tend not use Miracle Grow and most prepackaged fertilizers for plants I'm going to eat, but that's just a personal preference.
          Great stuff Ted, especially the last line.
          NEVER use anything not specifically labeled for crops on your vegetable garden.

We had a customer who was placing GrubEx into their vegetable garden and I happened to see it on the soil (in the garden) during a visit to the lawn on the property. I was horrified in thinking that one of my guys had placed it there. He proudly told me that he had done it. I then explained to him that the product will translocate (move) through the roots and the rest of the plant and eventually end up in the fruit of his tomato plants. He was shocked and said he had been doing it doing it for years. I didn't have to verbalize the fact that he was feeding his family the product, even if only in trace amounts.

Ted, sounds like that garden of yours will be kicking ass this year!

Brian
          But the family has never had a case of tapeworm either !!
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            Thanks guys - the only miracle grow we're using is the bag of veggie potting soil mix on strict orders from the same guy that gave us the grow box design and the tips to use epsom salt and vigoro brand veggie fertilizer in the boxes.

What's your opinion on "Preen" that's something we have used on the garden to keep weeds out of there once it's planted....
            I'm not familiar with Preen. Honestly last year was the first time I tried a garden as big as the one I have now. Before I had a very small lawn and only grew a row or two of carrots and radishes along with 3 tomatoe plants, a squash plant, some Jalapenos in the ground and basil, oregano, rosemary and mint in some 10 inch pots on the porch. For weeding, I'd just spend 15 - 20 minutes every couple of days pulling the weeds out. Last year my shoulder went completely out on me as I was planting the garden and I had to have surgery on it. I couldn't use it for about six weeks, so I just kinda let everything grow for awhile. When I could use my arm again I just hoed the rows out every couple of days. Right now I have very little money and a fair amount of time on my hands, so putting in the extra effort of hoeing instead of spending money on weed killers makes sense for me. As long as the products you use specifically say they are safe for edible foods, there should not be a problem. Pay attention to the directions though, some products tell you to not use on edible products for x-amount of time before you pick them.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

I have no doubts now...

the hottest and coldest spot of the nation...coming from one place... is.....

Bangor, Maine

it is hotter than the hottest spot in the whole darn nation right now. Remembering a -28F zero right out the same window is phenomonal. I can smell the window sill...next step is self ignition.

:o

I am gonna go outside naked to see what the neighbors say ;D
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the neighbors. I'd worry about the house's depreciation. ;D
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  I'm crossing my fingers I sorta win an ebay bid on a'69 OHC 4.1L Pontiac Sixer. I'm the highest bidder with the current bid at $51, and my max set a fair amount above that but apparently still below the guy's reserve. I've emailed with him a few questions and he's located an hour out from my Parent's place, whom I'm going to visit next weekend. He said he was up to negotiating, especially if I pick it up. So if the auction ends I hope to keep the price low balled. Crossing my fingers it doesn't sell, even if the bid goes over mine, just a couple more hours to go.

If I loose, I won't be terrbibly sorry, as it's a true high compression sprint motor (even comes with a quadrajet!), which I rather start with a low compression, not as valuable standard one. Of course maybe if I can pick this one up for cheap I can wheel and deal with another OHC owner for a low compression one and cash or something....
                  LMAO! Ok, the auction closed at $400 and under the reserve, so I sent the guy a message to see what he'd take for it. Response? $2,200! For an engine that needs a complete over haul. I know these engines are rare, but I've see a few go in the midwest and out east for under $500.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm crossing my fingers I sorta win an ebay bid on a'69 OHC 4.1L Pontiac Sixer. I'm the highest bidder with the current bid at $51, and my max set a fair amount above that but apparently still below the guy's reserve. I've emailed with him a few questions and he's located an hour out from my Parent's place, whom I'm going to visit next weekend. He said he was up to negotiating, especially if I pick it up. So if the auction ends I hope to keep the price low balled. Crossing my fingers it doesn't sell, even if the bid goes over mine, just a couple more hours to go.

If I loose, I won't be terrbibly sorry, as it's a true high compression sprint motor (even comes with a quadrajet!), which I rather start with a low compression, not as valuable standard one. Of course maybe if I can pick this one up for cheap I can wheel and deal with another OHC owner for a low compression one and cash or something....
                    LMAO! Ok, the auction closed at $400 and under the reserve, so I sent the guy a message to see what he'd take for it. Response? $2,200! For an engine that needs a complete over haul. I know these engines are rare, but I've see a few go in the midwest and out east for under $500.
                    there's a lesson to be learned here..... V-8s are better ;)
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

♫ Well I'm just an excitable boy ♫

Warren Zevon has such great songs for just cruising around confusing people
                      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I'm so tired I cant sleep....gonna try to read
                        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

My idle is to low.

My resting heart rate on the EKG machine was 45, twice. 60 is what is consider lowest normal resting rate. So yesterday I had to get hooked up to a portable EKG for 48 hrs. Worse thing is no showers, Sponge baths only, but now the damn adhesive is starting to pull/itch.

I am not concerned about my low resting rate as I have been going to the gym, and my heart rate (65), blood pressure (110/80) and temperature (97.6) is normally a little on the low side.

More than a random thought, but did not want to start a new thread and have it turn into a health care debate. More of a Vent.
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I don't even want to drive the camaro since it was hit ....
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Son of a bitch
                              my right rear wheel bearing needs replacing, and apparently it is a major PITA to do
                              Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

John, another trick I've picked up about growing tomatoes: Water the plant constantly until they start growing tomatoes, then only water them when the leaves and branches droop. This basically concentrates the flavor in the tomato. They won't be as big as if you constantly watered them, but they will have a much better flavor.
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X