No announcement yet.

Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I got a 20 everytime u did the dishes, my mustang would be done and faster
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

• I get military news from military.com.

my nick is bgd99.. and "99" for the year I joined the site. Their ideas to bind old friends worked too slow, but I did find some fellow airmen.

I love to see the AF uniform and combat in the same story.

this one got a silver star and bronze star. No doubt just shy of medal of honor.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...=airforce-a.nl

my initial health at a place called "meps" allowed me to attempt combat control, among other things. An army recruit got after me for some time, bragging up the job of "ranger".. I went air guard, thinking more of education, school near home and take of grandma. That all turned into a nightmare.

I was better off going for special forces in another life. I spoke my truth of coming out of the woods. A korean vet brought me free food, I ate deer meat from illegal sources...
      primitive everything.

Be careful about your truth and recruiters...it may not be the direction you want..your own truth in the past.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 20, 2014, 04:46 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• this was cool.
        106 yrs old, enrolling for the VA benefits. He was 35 in ww2...they called him "pops".
        he is later in the broadcast. I only speak because of the lost that was around me...after coming home. There is no excuses. Two suicides, one was to be my army buddy on some system they offered for two guys from the same locale. I went air force instead.

I realized I have a scary appearance..and I have not even smiled to bear my shattered teeth...it has been 20 years to realize, even my tour was mythed.. and not even replicable. It got so busy, there is real awards missing.. etc etc. That is something from a war time novel. Should not be happening, but it did.

when your tour is a 17 hour operation on a limb... with a pause after 13 hours to decide to keep it or chop it off....and then go on anyway with an unlikely plan..
        A VA type program needs to be damn large.

I also found something peculiar about my own... I was always tied into the gulf war airmen, yet my enlistment official is mar1992.

I forgot I had more than a year as an airman on delayed enlistment. the only evidence is some national defense "medal", very short lived..but extended later on...which buried me yet again.
        ..and I did not ask for that, I can't remember what the recruiter was saying about that. I was literally working with my original high school long hair, the last of the old green jackets, and being trained as an SAC cold war crew chief...with people I would never see again, as they were forced into retirement in 1992. It is quite literally like I came out of nowhere, half burnt out already...as a new beginning.
        Memories of the last of old school stuff, that had alot of viet nam era retiring for real anyway. Extremely easy going. I remember a colonel who smoked and swore. I remember being asked to stand in a photograph, because I looked like an army infantry, literally from the viet nam outcomes... still had the long hair and the old uniform. Youth does alot for the aging, even in the military. Genuine smiles from a lot of us.

it is never too late to dive into the formal resolves offered.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 20, 2014, 09:09 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I was just watching American Restoration and they did a Schwinn Fastback for some dude. I'll be damned if I didn't have the exact same bike when I was a kid. I found it in the garbage and restored it back to mint, I think I was 11 or 12.

Picture off the internet for reference.

Comment

• Makes me wonder if subconsciously it didn't have something to do with my first car, it was a 68 mustang Fastback. I bought it off one of my buddies for 50 bucks. I was 14.

Comment

• some common sense genius in the you tube comment section:
              C= light
              There are other massless particles that travel at c in water. This should be interesting to you, because light "travels" more slowly in water. This phenomena is well known.
              I am bothered by their split of classical mechanics and quantum. Of course there is faster than light. Light is only what we see...use it as a measurement, like the number 5 on a 12 inch ruler.

that bridge built will relieve a lot of common sense. Who defines classical? led zeppelin or the opera?

or is it me with my vise grips?

Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 21, 2014, 11:41 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• more veterans stuff..

I learned to find a file or set of files called "ompf".. it has the extra details of the duties within. I forget some of the words for that stuff. I did pass all and any inspections/tests of course.

mine is missing, pre-digital era.

I may have found what drove one friend to suicide... that is 3/4 of a tour, the details that bring resolve later after the pace is calmed.

I remember a colonel who was trying to get me a purple heart...as an A1C. I won't repeat the tale... I guess nobody is.
                The other one was an airmans medal. Credited for saving a life.

I am ok now, no matter what is missing.. the va can work with my time frame of gulf war, and the factors of "aggrevated injury" and continuing to work.

as my outside world has a foot with a metal plate, 8 screws, and a barcode with even more info (2004 operation). The original record shows 9 years of it in my foot, and the description of my operation in 1995... my list of military orders from 1995 is not normal for air guard, or the hours assigned to each prson.

I did indeed get an "oh. my. god." explaining myself... there is more than one subject way over my head. I have not been told why the strange formal reaction. I think its the planes... airman with metal in the bone, those planes are lit at all times. That is only one thing I figured out.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 21, 2014, 07:05 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Just picked up a new nitrous kit from Monte Smith and made it back from St Louis in record time. Excellent night for racing.

Dude knows his shit.

Comment

• I want to put a flask inside an 8-Track case.
                    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

• wandering around with military history, some of it is hilariously famous.

The formal awards, some of them, are nearly thousands of years old.

this one relates to all the awards with a cross in it, no concept of religion, but an event that was declared religious by some. (I should say many)

did you know spain fought with "muslim" ocean going pirates in 1000 AD?
                      I bet some peaceful versions ended up in ireland. The no mans land.

modern times has its own extremes, does not even need a war ..even with injury or death it may get laughed at later.

get off a plane with a texan sunburn, into a cold record that still stands 22 years later:
                      26F below zero... after just recovering from hyperthermia, into the hypo.

soldiers and airman in the jet age. .. much less than 100 years. I have declaerd myself special in humanities timeline. Do not replicate...it would be even dumber the second time.

A jet engine apu sitting on a pallot running, and jumping around spitting fire..cables of generator output.. inside the plane with 100,000 pounds of fuel just below the floor...

and noahs ark was "primitive."

laughing aside, years later images enter my mind.. it became my inspiration for photos and journalism of the straight man kind.

I got very old for my age, lines burned into my face like wrinkles of a 80 year old. Most of that turned out to be temporary...
                      I was volunteered to help clean the shitter out of a c141. I could smell it before I even got to the plane, several people from onboard were diagnosing the situation. They had come from the east, a very long ride, all one trip. Normal airlines usually meet up in england first.

I was asked to go inside the plane and unhook something or open a lid or something... hearing nothing but silence, I jumped into the low sitting 141, and nearly jumped out of my boots to what I saw.

it looked like 100 soldiers. desert fatigues. some not clean, some injured... all of them cold faced and quiet. the surprise of me jumping in only gained their eyes.

one shot with a 35mm would have been my claim to fame forever...I'd weep even today just to look at it.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 22, 2014, 11:49 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
                          Did you fall over on your motorsickle?

Comment

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-OLDS-OL..._qi=RTM1562571

Is there any wonder why fewer people are doing numbers matching restorations. According to Joe Mondello's publications it is numbers correct for a 1970 455 W-30. How many MSD billet distributors could one buy for $3500?
                            Last edited by 68scott385; August 22, 2014, 01:35 PM.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Did you fall over on your motorsickle?
                              no, the military's "do more with less" state we find ourselves operating in is not doing anything positive for my stress levels....
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Am I the only one that hasn't had an issue with the new format???
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X