Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grip strength has world records...
    interesting video.

the big guy has won something. not sure who it is..
    worlds strongest man?

grip is useful in mechanical realms.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• turning into a frail weakling, looking like a air guard member..

may as well dive into solving unknown answers to math riddles

from what I gather for this one..
      its an algorithm that finds which prime number is next.

where real or natural climbs by one, prime numbers distance does not... so they add an imaginary line

..it only verifies that linear is not enough.
      cubed or sphere has to be written in math.

like the guy who found most likely places moon chunks can be found on earth. it is quite a weird line.
      maine is in it.. and no one has ever found any genuine moon rock.
      kinda like a prime number making its own gap.

anyway..

I despise einsteins e= mc squared.
      I can't stand it, can't even explain why.

this math equation wanting an answer shows cubed is part of energy with no answer.

I may be misunderstanding the purpose.. but that is what my high school education gets out of what I have read.

the answer of routine is in this photo.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1920px-RiemannCriticalLine.svg.png
Views:	59
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	1239854
      linear isn't going to cut it is it

I imagine what element on earth has its electrons and protons and neutrons in an order of prime numbers spinning at a nucleus, where the math nerd needs to be to see it.

else math is worthless.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 9, 2019, 07:36 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• rock climber versus body lifter..
        grip

not sure, but the size of the hold may be why the big guy seems weaker.
        can't get the same proportion of grip.

my uncle weighed 300 pounds. he could dead lift near half ton (he was in federal prison to learn it)
        he came out of prison at 280, scary looking. very buffed.
        at 5 foot 7.. that is a seriously big 280 pounds.

anyway, he had me doing engine work, or anything involving bolts etc.
        he had complaints about his fingers.
        I wonder about big people.

a strange but true, my hands were bigger than my dead lifting uncle.. must be a gene pool oddity.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hogging the random thought thread today.

the first time I saw this girl singing..it must be ten years or so for internet videos.
          Anyway I clearly remember I asked my sister or brother who she reminded them of.
          I said "I think we are related. it is bizarre. "

a Lavigne is in my ancestor list as a 4 great grandparent. Showed up today.

learning more about myself.. I guess I am in some alpha gene pool and know who to stay away from. I do not like "clan" at all.
          I also knew I had a brother that wasn't there... since 2 years old. Drove my mother to tears more than once..
          the missing brother turned out to be my closest living relative in the dna matches.

life goes on...
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 11, 2019, 04:52 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• About fifteen years ago I ordered a few parts from a So. Cal. supplier for my '70 El Camino. Among them was a set of re-pop bed trim rails that were so far off...i.e., missing an entire formed feature necessary for fit, that installation was impossible. Contacting the company got me no satisfaction, basically the parts are what they are and no one was going to go to the trouble of doing the entire bending process such as GM did so like it or lump it. (Coloring was also off, probably different grade stainless from original). I was annoyed enough that I just jammed the parts up on a shelf in case I ever thought of a way to fix them and spent the time to restore a pair of dented originals instead. Also I never ordered another part from that company again, I always looked for other places...until now. It's been a long time, let's try again.

Clutch fork for A/G El Camino, it's an odd part with an extra bend in it. Tough to get but there is a reproduction. I'll be needing a bunch of parts at some point so I dropped by during a trip to get a catalog, but stood in their showroom twenty minutes waiting for any one of the three employees there to give me a glance and handle my twenty-second request but no. When I walked back out it seemed like the guys were intentionally not noticing me. I sent for a catalog instead and it came. OK, I order the part on line and a few days later this is what I get:

Name:	opg clutch fork2.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1240051

Have a look at the pivot clip and it's relation to the formed-in feature for the pivot to set into. It's mounting is so far off center, the part is essentially not usable as is. To keep the throwout end aligned (and note we'll have to hammer a little in that area too as the retention tab barely crosses the clip but that's a minor thing), I'll need to drill the fastening rivet out, weld the hole up, drill another one half-a-diameter over and re-mount the clip. So it goes...I don't see the point of returning it as I imagine the defect is generic and I'd just get another one.

A few days later I get an e-mail invitation to review the part. I give it two stars because of the re-work I'll have to do. Harsh maybe, but considering the money I spent and that if I made a mistake like this in my job I would catch serious hell, a fair assessment I believe. Out of curiosity, a couple weeks later I check the website for the part and see if the review's up. Nope, no reviews for this part.

I do get another e-mail...hey look at this! They've noticed that I was looking at this part and I better buy one soon because they're almost out of them!

Name:	opg clutch fork.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1240052

Yeah, I've already bought the part so don't start sending me creepy ("We noticed you..." is creepy) e-mails urging me to buy something you have already sent me and I don't like. Second useless e-mail I've gotten because I placed one order, sender goes to spam can now.

Meanwhile, I've got another funny feeling about this item and wonder...this is a part that takes a lot of bending force and wear over it's life. What say, we have the hardness checked on this material? All the seller says about it is, it's made from "thick steel". Yeah that's some impressive technical jargon there but pray tell, cold roll...hot roll...HSLA...AKDQ? (Hard, soft, hard, soft in that order). Considering it's first issue and that we know the fine folks over in China often don't care much more about a car part than to get them packed into a shipping container and off their shores, I think I better check on that 'cause we can be pretty sure that no one else did. I will have to rummage around and dig up an original Chev clutch fork, take it to a machine shop that has a Rockwell hardness tester (basically, it presses a little ball into the material under pressure and measures the amount it goes in) and ask them to compare. As I indicate, I essentially accept that I am stuck with the part as is but if I know it's soft beforehand I can at-least weld in a little reinforcement where it might help, which is something I've done before anyhow when using stiff pressure plates that even good-quality GM parts may not handle the stresses of..

As Barry says, life goes on...

Comment

• could be the tolerance of the generation.

like SBC and LS mating the same transmission.. up to .4 inches spanning 50 years.
              the bellhousings match, but oh boy, all the other details.

I am still impressed,even finding .5 inch off a pile of bolt holes for a new fender, or whatever it is I am doing.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• P.T. Barnum was right.... One born every minute!

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Yikes. You can fix that typical case of F-body door sag. It takes...a wrench.

Comment

• Reviewing e-mails I see there is yet more prodding to buy the part I already bought. These guys are some brilliant stuff.

Name:	opg clutch fork 3.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1240181

Comment

• OK...there's an unsubscribe button for e-mails. Click! No more e-mails, about the f'n clutch fork. Done, right? I'll never have to see the image of that lousy clutch fork again, except for when I go out to the garage and the actual thing is sitting there on a table waiting for me to decide when I want to go have it hardness tested.

Nooooo, now MSN or everywhere I go, here is that clutch fork coming back at me, thanks to the evil rash of the internet AdChoices. I can't even look at that ol' other car site Jalopnik over there, without having the freaking clutch fork I already bought back there in my face. If I just gave up and bought another one, would the clutch-fork-assault stop?

Name:	opg clutch fork 4.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1240223

Comment

• Sounds like you need an ad blocker
                        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

• Hey Kyle, ya back in S.D.?

-------

I actually don't mind ads so much as that's just how the world works and especially these days as the stuff in the ads is something I might actually want, but here's the point I guess I am wishing to make: This seller is putting lots of effort into trying to get me to buy parts from them. That's why I figured to try the place again for the new parts I need after my last (long ago) poor experience. However in this case, on top of all their regular ads they are using their targeted ad program to repeatedly push an item I already bought, so it's getting to the point where it's just annoying and they ain't looking too bright. Meanwhile they have not put in quite enough effort into making sure the parts sent are up to snuff and that is what really matters to me. I could send the clutch fork back as I'm sure I would be invited to do, but it just means they are making me be their quality control department so they don't have to bother.

I obviously don't need this item either too bad or right now, or it would be in a car already and I wouldn't be here using it as an example of why to have caution when dealing with the aftermarket parts business. I am at-least looking forward to proving that they did have this made out of proper material and not just some soft crap that was easy to form.

We'll see if I am disappointed.

As an aside, I happen to know of a company that has been having parts made in China for a few years now and really holds the manufacturer against the wall for quality. The parts are complex and after a development process where a number of rounds were sent back to have dies and processes corrected they really look good. Then all of a sudden a shipment came in where the mfr. decided to either save a few yen or whatever it is, or just make their work easier, and the material was soft. No, ain't gonna happen. To this day there are about sixty thousand dollars of really nice-looking properly formed and assembled and beautifully powder-coated parts all sitting outside in a scrap bin because underneath all that somebody used the wrong material, and it would eventually be the end-user-customer who would have the safety and durability of their car compromised.

I am familiar with the sentiment that when people are just stuck with what it is you have to sell them as their only choice they'll have to take it, but sometimes that works for a seller/distributor, and sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

• E-Bay ad spamming is the BEST. A photo of the EXACT piece you bought and are now using. In the words of the poet laureate Elvis Costello, "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused". Still interested? Why yes, it's in my hands as I speak.

Comment

• my daily dna check (its like an ongoing soap opera)

there was one guy left in tech school with me. We had the longest school of all the techs.
                              crew chiefs.
                              he went helicopter, had to learn weapons on top of all the chores. I felt bad.. he did too.
                              he thought they were making him a killer. Seems funny to say... but of course they were making some of us killers.

we had been shot at, got too drunk together, rode an electric bronco in a bar

..and he somehow got the dancer form the strip club to come to our party.
                              neither one of us had ever been to a dancer club prior to then.
                              18-20 yrs old, all of us.(only 4 of us hung out)

I was the most sober drunk guy to drive us all back to base on one of those adventures.
                              We all avoided serious trouble.

well, he got in trouble. Marijuana.
                              I saw him one last time, he said everything was fixed.. after getting through the punishment
                              he even had to ask permission to ask permission... to walk one floor tile at a time.

we shook hands... joked about seeing each other on a war front some day.

his last name showed up as a relative today.

its a small world.

something he said, brings goose bumps..
                              we get to drinking, say whatever is on our mind.

he said.. "donovan. you are french royal."

I said, "your drunk, i don't know what french is."

a reason we all hung out is sensing tension of newfond terror on our home land.
                              the first attempt at the towers..we were all there in tech school.
                              one of the 4 was spanish irish.
                              the way he scoped an area is the way I scoped individulas. we actually spoke of being infantry and going along day.
                              the instincts were undoubtable.

I know why the other guy said what he did... his name is in the mix somewhere in aging past.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 17, 2019, 04:39 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I have a new favorite phrase for stupidity. Rocket Surgery. I didn't make it up, but I'm going to be using it a LOT. A cross between Rocket Science and Brain Surgery for anyone who THINKS they are THAT smart. I'll never say Dain Bread again. Well I may. That one has it's own use. And everyone, STOP using no-brainer. That's just tired, Captain Obvious!

Comment

Working...
                                X