Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it nap time yet?

Comment

• How come when it's 64 outside it feels great but when it's 64 in the house it's freezing ass cold?
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
        How come when it's 64 outside it feels great but when it's 64 in the house it's freezing ass cold?
        Sunshine?
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Why do the neighbors' leaves migrate into my yard, but mine stay at home?
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
            Why do the neighbors' leaves migrate into my yard, but mine stay at home?
            They like you.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Why do the neighbors' leaves migrate into my yard, but mine stay at home?
              While contemplating leaves, I decided to revive one of the old Snapper mowers around here because they bag like a mofo. First up was the 1985 version but I can't find the bag chute now, used to have 3! Okay, well, then what about the 1978 aluminum deck version? They will bag wet grass... and then it happened. Who knew you can't buy blades for a 42 year old lawn mower? OSHA would really crap if they saw the one I have that includes a reverse on a 21" mower.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

While contemplating leaves, I decided to revive one of the old Snapper mowers around here because they bag like a mofo. First up was the 1985 version but I can't find the bag chute now, used to have 3! Okay, well, then what about the 1978 aluminum deck version? They will bag wet grass... and then it happened. Who knew you can't buy blades for a 42 year old lawn mower? OSHA would really crap if they saw the one I have that includes a reverse on a 21" mower.
                I think you will like my thoughts.. I want to make an Xtreme mulch blade for my 28" Cub.

Comment

• I use Gators......good design, shreds anything.

Oregon 98-631 Gator G3 Lawn Mower Blade, 21-Inch, Replaces Cub Cadet, Bolens, Craftsman, MTD

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• M. Beagle used a rake just to irritate me more. Somewhere in the 90's, Briggs started using a plastic cam lobe / timing gear that spins on it's metal shaft and costs more than the engine is worth. After finding the third ruined cam last week, I began contemplating spending thousands to fix a 50.00 part so she waltzes out with a rake and fixes the original problem.

I've been thinking about pinning the cam lobes to the shaft with a roll pin but I suspect the shaft is hardened.

I'd put a Harbor Freight engine on it but it hits the bag chute and the exhaust / intake sides are opposite side of really old school stuff this Snapper was designed for. Air cleaner under the dusty old grass bag is a particularly bad idea. Lots of time, thought, and energy wasted here in light of a 10.00 rake.
                    Last edited by Beagle; November 25, 2020, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I use Gators......good design, shreds anything.

Oregon 98-631 Gator G3 Lawn Mower Blade, 21-Inch, Replaces Cub Cadet, Bolens, Craftsman, MTD

I use them on my 21" Polund for leaves at a customers lake house. I'll blow the leaves into a 6"+ pile and, that thing will go through them and leave a fine mulch with ease.

Comment

• I got an off brand compound miter saw from a pawn shop a while back (Chicago Electric or some similar name). Been wanting one forever and the price was right, about $90. Used it to make my garage shelves, workbenches and a few other things here and there. I noticed that the blade never tilted fully to 90 degrees from the base, it was only a degree or two shy and that was plenty close enough for my hacked together stuff so I didn't worry about it much, just kept a mental not to dig into it at some point and remedy the problem.

Since I've been looking to start some more serious wood working projects I finally pulled the head off the base by separating that pivot point. I was thinking it was just some cheaply made stuff and I might have to grind an edge down or something to get it to cut at perfectly perpendicular. I've never owned one before and it didn't come with a service manual so I wasn't sure what I was in store for.

After disassembling it, it took about 5 seconds to see that there were two set screws that limited the rotation of the head. Threw it back together, and spent the next half hour to an hour making incremental adjustments to them until I got as close as possible to 90 degrees. now it can be used and have edges and corners line up perfectly flush instead of one edge flush and the opposite side with a small gap.

Lesson learned. Anytime you buy tools second hand, never assume the previous owner read the manual and knew what they were doing. An hour of my time now is going to pay off big in my future projects. Now I just gotta find a collet for my router and I'll be doing alright!
                        Last edited by tedly; February 8, 2021, 10:44 PM.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by tedly View Post
                          I got an off brand compound miter saw from a pawn shop a while back (Chicago Electric or some similar name)
                          is traditionally Harbor Freight's brand name .. is it a single bevel or the one with the slide? They have their manuals online which are good for parts breakdowns. Example, for one with the slider,

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

is traditionally Harbor Freight's brand name .. is it a single bevel or the one with the slide? They have their manuals online which are good for parts breakdowns. Example, for one with the slider,
                            That's the exact one I have, sweet! Thanks Beags!
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

• They're building a Harbor Freight a mile and a quarter from our house. They've got all the steel hung but they haven't done anything else visible to it in weeks. Dang, hurry.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• I'm watching "Street Outlaws Mega Cash Days". The tension is electrifying..... How many episodes will it be until someone tells JJ Da Boss to shut the #### up?
                                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X