No announcement yet.

Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I volunteered with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corp recently. I was tired of feeling useless against everything that's going on and Keni had gotten her second round of vaccine. Went to my first day today. Being a non-medical type, I was relegated to crowd control pretty much. No big deal, just kind of boring. From what people had been saying, the last few of these were just a nightmare. Not enough people, not enough space, not enough organization... Lots of folks telling me how grateful they were that this was so much better. It felt good just to do something, and we got a lot of people in and out as quickly and efficiently as we could today.

At the end of the event, one of the nurses comes up to me:
    Her - "Is this your first day volunteering?"
    Me - "Yes maam it is."
    Her - "Have you had your vaccine?"
    Me - thinking I screwed something up or was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. "Uh, no maam. I have not."
    Her - "Would you like the first round right now?"
    Me - ... "Uhhhhh... Sure...?"

Turns out, if they have a good supply going, they can sometimes get the volunteers at the end of the day. If they're running short, then they can't do it. They were doing alright today, even had a few people pull a no show so they literally had to use it or lose it.

Pretty damn cool if you ask me!
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by tedly View Post
      I volunteered with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corp recently. I was tired of feeling useless against everything that's going on and Keni had gotten her second round of vaccine. Went to my first day today. Being a non-medical type, I was relegated to crowd control pretty much. No big deal, just kind of boring. From what people had been saying, the last few of these were just a nightmare. Not enough people, not enough space, not enough organization... Lots of folks telling me how grateful they were that this was so much better. It felt good just to do something, and we got a lot of people in and out as quickly and efficiently as we could today.

At the end of the event, one of the nurses comes up to me:
      Her - "Is this your first day volunteering?"
      Me - "Yes maam it is."
      Her - "Have you had your vaccine?"
      Me - thinking I screwed something up or was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. "Uh, no maam. I have not."
      Her - "Would you like the first round right now?"
      Me - ... "Uhhhhh... Sure...?"

Turns out, if they have a good supply going, they can sometimes get the volunteers at the end of the day. If they're running short, then they can't do it. They were doing alright today, even had a few people pull a no show so they literally had to use it or lose it.

Pretty damn cool if you ask me!
      Thanks for helping out Bro -
      Righteous
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Test one two. New laptop. Can you hear me now?
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Huh??? What did you say? I can’t hear you!
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Huh??? What did you say? I can’t hear you!
            Dangit, I thought I had it working. I guess I'll have to take it back to the store.

Comment

• I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Read you 5x5 good buddy! Mercy sake’s alive! Yer blowing my windows out!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Anybody want to do the rear wheel bearing on Keni’s Subaru for me?

Anyone?
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Do you want her to be able to drive it whenever I quit "working on" it?

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
                      Do you want her to be able to drive it whenever I quit "working on" it?
                      I’m fairly certain she would appreciate it running.

It didn’t want to come off, so I looked into some videos to make sure I wasn’t screwing things up. The real fun starts around the 18 or 19 minute mark.

Buy Now!New Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly from 1AAuto.com http://1aau.to/ia/1ASHS008251A Auto shows you how to repair, install, fix, change or replace a worn ...

I'm probably wrong

Comment

I’m fairly certain she would appreciate it running.
                        Holy gollywhopperdamn. Like he said at one point in the video, if you're trying to do this on the ground....well. I'dda never got Bubba's rotor off if Beags hadn't said run long bolts through the caliper bracket to pop it off, but that there wheel bearing is another league of worse.

Comment

• Yep, this is going to be fun. That backing plate is around $60 and I haven’t found one anywhere yet. I’m going to have to be real careful and keep it useable.

Joyous rapture.

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Holy gollywhopperdamn. Like he said at one point in the video, if you're trying to do this on the ground....well. I'dda never got Bubba's rotor off if Beags hadn't said run long bolts through the caliper bracket to pop it off, but that there wheel bearing is another league of worse.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

• be forewarned... passed the visual test without corrective lenses. License guy not impressed by "Do you wear glasses to drive?" response of "No, isn't that what bumpers and curbs are for?"
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• If you're driving on GPS and she says "Go down to the bottom of the exit ramp and then make a U-turn as soon as possible," you'll go down the ramp wondering what the hell she's talking about and when you finally see it and figure out what she means you'll be in the wrong lane going the wrong direction and you'll have to turn around in a parking lot for what appears to be a halfway house for very despicable looking characters who will notice your car and are valuing it as you are trying to turn around. Just sayin.

Comment

• Still working on the Subaru in between other projects. I’ll go out and make some noise with a slide hammer for a bit then stop when my messed up shoulder says to. M12x1.25 bolts are near impossible to find but I located 2 just long enough to get the axle puller attachment on. Managed to get it separated enough to fit about 5 sheets of paper in the crack so far. Thankfully we have a reliable backup car so we’re not down to just the Suburban.
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X