No announcement yet.

Random Thought Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm gettin' too old for this. I ain't sayin' I'm too old for this. I'm sayin' I'm "gettin'" too old for this. Just sayin'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010980.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1293524
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Nice piece on ECTA.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• You know the covid thing is letting up when the panhandler is back on the street corner where the panhandler stands. He/she has been missing in action for a year.

Comment

• We got a signed contract on a house!!!
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Wow they sure are proud of 75W-140 synthetic gear oil when they sell it. Maybe because they don't sell it 6 quarts at a time to everybody in the world every day on a recurring basis.

Comment

• Yesterday I received a complete Eckler's Corvette catalogue for 1968-82 Parts & Accessories in the mail.
                I am a long time customer of theirs and in the system as an owner of a 1965 convertible.
                I just stared at the catalogue in disbelief ...

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1301442

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  Yesterday I received a complete Eckler's Corvette catalogue for 1968-82 Parts & Accessories in the mail.
                  I am a long time customer of theirs and in the system as an owner of a 1965 convertible.
                  I just stared at the catalogue in disbelief ...

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1301442
                  Well - they are probably tying to help you update it with new and improved parts!

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                    Well - they are probably tying to help you update it with new and improved parts!
                    Your optimism is one of your most redeeming characteristic qualities.

Comment

• If y'all ever come by the house and catch me out there doing this when it hardly even needs it, you can rest assured I have completely run out of something to do and have caught up and gotten ahead on afternoon naps. But it does in fact happen, every few years it seems. Especially after I buy a new pressure washer and want to play with it. Another Honda engine but this one is not as quiet as the old one. The old one was super especially quiet for a long time- MFer wouldn't crank and I got tired of pulling on the rope.

Name:	P1020089.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1301468

Comment

• ancient dna
                        having some fun with dna.
                        after finding my mom's dna trail is famous in the french world (d'entremont, the first governor of acadia is my grandfather)
                        my fathers side is tragic.
                        after never knowing my grandpa or great..my dad is an only son...he never knew either one as well.
                        Y dna quest was a mission for me. (Y is the rock of fathers)
                        step 1... verify I am my surname.
                        glad to know I am.
                        step 2. get curious and have fun.

my family tree stops at a cornelius donovan born 1831
                        sounds kinda greek if you ask me
                        who the heck names their kid cornelius.

a peculiar coincidence emerged at a site I chose for, by chance, ancient matches to graves they found. not famous, just people.

grave B in photo. lucky guy had his very on custom knife. That was a big deal 3880 years ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DNAGreek2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	1302094
                        my oldest dna match ever turned out to be the greek guy in grave B, north of athens.
                        Well written.. DNA scientists are loving it as they got a dna sequence to compare to any participant...
                        and they tell me it is a direct relative and mapped it out for me, gave me the numbers...gave me a yellow dot for "direct relative"
                        at 3880 years old.. yeah right. they must be lying to me.

so I learned the SNP and Cm and X and Y and haplogroups and whipped out my calculator and divided averages...

holy crap.
                        the ancient guy seems to be my uncle.
                        my surname has a greek origin apparently...and my ancient irish name has 50 irish and scottish names that emerged from that.

you know what that means? most ancient scots and irish males are ancient greek origin...goes for spain and portugal as well (our closest Y brothers)

anyway, if they find the right brother of this guy, they'd find my grandpa.

for now.. I am going back to the future to the modern past of 200 years ago.. and awaiting results of yet another test called deep Y and find cornelius' dad.

couldn't be weirder than a cornelius.
                        barfallofus perhaps.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 6, 2021, 06:17 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Y-dna, who is my daddy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	donovanambigram_thumb[1].png Views:	0 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	1302900

got my test results back.
                          the matching half the planet has gone away (finally) and it quickly narrowed down with just 37 markers tested
                          210 people in this world have the same ancient father as me.

no exact matches, my paternal is dead (untracable for several hundred years).

my nearest relative is a stolen donovan baby or something... about 8 generations back (if counting at 20 year intervals) we are 100% related...that is less than 200 years.
                          a man who lives in Norway... with a swedish name. Guy is actually a Donovan (I am sure he knows it now)
                          that is a big match, by law actually.

got lots of scandinavian, some old portugal..some english.
                          surprising hardly any scottish or irish..very tiny trail in ireland, even verified a 1000+ years stay there.
                          I am my name after all.(Donovan has always been different kind of irish guy)
                          sad that we have no donovan links..

the history and word of mouth, all verified... am satisfied. won't be digging any further.

our most famous match is 9 lombard graves (direct grandpas -but maternal)
                          a 3380 year old greek grave (against millions of odds)
                          lots of italian, all maternal.
                          de leon,.. big Y matches. As it is twioce... my great grandpa in america is a di leone (same family, mispelled), traced to france.
                          We have the same ancient daddy.
                          the exact dates of exploring has us already in ireland by a couple hundred years (my name crossed from northern spain)
                          they are in my 210 people short list.
                          8 to 10, 12 to 24 generations to Y-dna is nothing at all...can be verified with 100% accuracy.

its been real.
                          recommend it to anybody.

my motivation was to null some serious old sadness. my grandpa and great died at the same time.. two only sons and my dad is an only son.
                          the breakthrough was my great having a brother , who had a son..and played the dna game.
                          he had no kids.
                          found him, and verified our name.

the few hints if you want to know if you are a donovan..

look for at least one Williams or Edwards, or O'brien in the deeper y-test. williams/edwards also became englands first royalty
                          I found both in the short list, in the y37 match (deep, cannot doubt that one). I guess there is some old brother story.. We actually have the same Y-group exact to this day, then they match it as deep as I paid for.
                          I had to look for many spanish, portugal.. especially names from the north.. like "montoya" (I have one in the deeper test)

it all came together. a genealogist (?) explained to me the viking years are terribly unwritten, and old irish will have scandinavian relatives, just like the english.. mysteriously (and i do)

stuff like that. The oddity in the whole tale is donovan is royal, and they chose to be regular hard working people.Boats are humbly a claim to fame..also unwritten.
                          there is still a boat yard hundreds of years old in west cork, and its got my surname
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 12, 2021, 06:22 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            If y'all ever come by the house and catch me out there doing this when it hardly even needs it, you can rest assured I have completely run out of something to do and have caught up and gotten ahead on afternoon naps. But it does in fact happen, every few years it seems. Especially after I buy a new pressure washer and want to play with it. Another Honda engine but this one is not as quiet as the old one. The old one was super especially quiet for a long time- MFer wouldn't crank and I got tired of pulling on the rope.

Name:	P1020089.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1301468
                            Put Sta-bil in the gas. All the time.
                            Probably work.

Comment

• more dna stuff

I really got into this, my family is very empty paternal.
                              signs of royal.- it is truly terrible.

yet another followup. (I had trouble trusting integrity of the testing, but the article I read was from 2018.
                              just last october they are doing something even smarter). I also found a forum where a scinetist himnself was ripping into mytrueancestry web site.
                              I then doubted all the info they gathered for me.
                              I'll just stay proof positive...give it the benefit of the doubt.
                              I choose public, so anyone can put it into its place in their own mind.

I guess I am a direct descendant of some lombard/longobarde king.. they called them barbarians.
                              well.. there is nothing more peaceful than 1k years of irish donovan, I can say that much.

I assumed this all to be maternal (my mothers mother maiden name was Du Long)
                              but there is an r1b that really hit home on my irish name .. grave cl57...and their sons
                              CL 63 is the only frenchman in the grave yard.. and by chance, my comparison of dna changed their outlook of him being alone with no relatives.
                              I match him and the others too...as one person. He simply did not have anyone there with him is all. I am some kind of bridge, modern day answer.

a followup on the lombard graves (again)

of 92 ancient or old graves they sequenced, and that I have a match , here is the top ten they organized for me. We are related without any doubt to the lombards, not just the lonely french man.

and get no more info about it.
                              anything less than ten on the distance, that is family according to the web site..
                              into the 5's is freakish..we should have a name game to retrace in the 5s.
                              "very close relative"
                              the CL numbers are grave identifiers, in that same spot in the whole list is grave numbers.

1. Medieval Piedmont
                              580 AD - Genetic Distance: 5.742 - CL57
                              Top 99 % match vs all users

2. Illyrian / Dalmatian
                              1200 BC - Genetic Distance: 6.445 - I3313B

3. Illyrian / Dalmatian
                              1200 BC - Genetic Distance: 6.473 - I3313C

4. Illyrian / Dalmatian
                              1200 BC - Genetic Distance: 6.507 - I3313

5. North Central Lombard
                              580 AD - Genetic Distance: 7.654 - CL63
                              Top 97 % match vs all users

6. Cisalpine Gaul
                              590 AD - Genetic Distance: 7.81 - SZ45
                              Top 98 % match vs all users

7. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
                              1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 8.027 - MOK10

8. Gallo-Roman Lombard Grave
                              580 AD - Genetic Distance: 8.17 - CL94

9. Early Bronze Age Mokrin Necropolis Serbia
                              1950 BC - Genetic Distance: 8.276 - MOK29
                              Top 98 % match vs all users

10. Early Medieval Germany Straubing-Bajuwarenstrasse
                              520 AD - Genetic Distance: 8.589 - STR310
                              -------------------------------------------------------------

an honorable mention is the two greeks, found just north of athens.
                              3380 years old
                              just beyond the ten number for being a parental family..and that may be the degredation in the old dna.
                              this one simply peaks my interest the most. At the time, it was the smartest people in the world. One of the men had his own custom flint knife.

you might also guess there is a top 7 closer matches I have not written out here to get to number 18 below. It is mostly more lombards, a scythian (very rare find, all by chance, guy by himself by a river) and some more italians. They are all in the ten and below distance (actually family proven)

18. Ancient Middle Helladic Elati-Logkas Greece
                              1861 BC - Genetic Distance: 10.83 - Log04_wgs_trim5bp

25. Ancient Middle Helladic Elati-Logkas Greece
                              1861 BC - Genetic Distance: 11.54 - Log04_wgs

Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2021, 06:40 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• master of the port

found the origin of my name

"donndubhain"

this means don of bane
                                master of the port.. or saint of .
                                donibane

sa
                                int john according to wiki.

this is at the spanish border of southwest france..took some deciphering
                                a town called saint-jean-de-luz today

I was called a basque origin of surname
                                they also gave the name for long term address.. most associated men of the area.
                                that is how we got it.

the Y dna lining up with ancient north spain names, etc.
                                I am very happy with the cost of this dig.. I really can't afford it anyway..

the original word of mouth:
                                we were named by a white gaelic guy.. and dubhan meant "dark"
                                really stupid isn't it.

they not only never named us...
                                we are named after our original home

my half uncle..much italian.
                                he called us the longshoremen
                                that is synonymous with master of the port.

I understand now (rip uncle skip)
                                my friend in the service from puerto rico called me "don juan" with sincere laughter..
                                the funniest part of it?

he was being serious.
                                My name is the don juan to some of the spanish.
                                it is related to the port town.
                                England called it the vipers nest

we have had a sword ans snake family shield for 500 or more years

jean, john and juan.. sir saint and don
                                Du, De, D' that means "of" 3 different ways.
                                a mixup of 3 languages.
                                Easy to misinterpret isn't it?
                                I was known as something different 4 unique ways .. counting the gaelic.

to think of mischief men and a boat... watch some jack sparrow and ponder the guy being real.

we were too serious for that..
                                simply wanted a port at the ocean is all.

we repeated the same job in ireland.
                                there is still a donovan boat yard to this day in west coark..or however they name the towns today

long story short..we are more french/spanish/ roman/greek than anything.

irish is just a fable of me truth be told..
                                from dark leader to little brown poet
                                the truth is not for them to behold

explains the italian/french loves in the first generation in america.
                                that is our real genes.
                                My foot print of dna is strangely small there in ireland BTW.. for 1500 years or more. autosomally dead. Spooky,
                                the Y path owns it..just like the north spain it comes from.. that is about all that is the same
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 27, 2021, 08:35 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X