Where is 46-690?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is 46-690?

Last week I was helping the family settle up my Grandfather's estate when we dug this rudder up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160520_171341.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	1105388

It used to hang on the wall of his garage in Hurst, TX. He sold that house around 1982 and no one had seen this rudder since. Now in the current internet age, we are able to check where the rest of XH-20 number 46-689 went. Turns out 46-689 is hanging from the ceiling of Air Force museum in Dayton, OH. Note that it has a different shaped rudder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4816492629_0577ecdf6e_b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1105390

There was another XH-20 built, numbered 46-690. My question is: Where is 46-690 and what version of the rudder is it wearing?

I can't find any info on -690. Anyone else have better google fu than me?
    Attached Files

I bet the museum would love to have the original rudder!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I sent Keith Turk a message about this, he might chime in..

Comment

Okay ladies you've got my attention.... Now tell me where the engine is? Huhhh Huhhh

Comment

I was stunned to see this post by the way... and surprised you guys didn't just automatically get how freaking Cool this thing is....

That Rudder needs to hang in MY SHOP... LOL
          Last edited by KeithTurk; May 27, 2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

There is a YouTube video out there of this thing flying. Unfortunately, they dubbed in some fake piston engine noises. The RAMjets sound much different.

Keith, have you looked at the XV-1 at Ft. Rucker? It uses tip jets, but with air provided from a fuselage mounted blower instead of ram air.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
              I was stunned to see this post by the way... and surprised you guys didn't just automatically get how freaking Cool this thing is....

That Rudder needs to hang in MY SHOP... LOL
              I knew right away how cool it was. You and my friend Les (another helicopter pilot) are the only 2 people I know of who'd know what this is.
              Not many people (aside from Aircooled) can say they found a tail rudder from a prototype helicopter in their grandpa's garage, let alone the 1st ram jet copter...

Comment

I think it is cool, was merely waiting for the highness mr turk to chime in...

Hell, I wouldn't mind having one to play with!

Comment

I think it is scary.
                  given the age.. it looks like a poly something material in cracking.
                  add it to ufo sightings.

the edge of wind is the finale.. grabbing it pretending its the in charge end reminds me of...
                  nevermind.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The whole concept is really cool... incredibly death defying and stupid... but with Jet engines mounted on the wing tips and rocket fuel under your derriere, WHAT could possibly go wrong...

Comment

So... WHY a Rudder and not a tail rotor?

Comment

for the guy who doesn't know me... I should add that I teach kids to fly Helicopters here at Ft Rucker and I've long been a fan or weird stuff in our Museum.. oh and I have a BS in professional aeronautic's from Embry Riddle

Comment

How does a person that is a drill sarg. with safety on LSR find this cool??

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                            How does a person that is a drill sarg. with safety on LSR find this cool??
                            He owns that particular orgaization.. His ass in the sling if there is a wreck..
                            Simple? No?
                            Called Self preservation...

Hijack.. Always thought owning one of those choppers used on MASH tv show would be cool to own and fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

He owns that particular orgaization.. His ass in the sling if there is a wreck..
                              Simple? No?
                              Called Self preservation...

Hijack.. Always thought owning one of those choppers used on MASH tv show would be cool to own and fly...
                              So lack of safety is ok as long as it's not that persons ass in the hot seat...
                              Odd thought process ..

Comment

Working...
                              X