Where is 46-690?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

So lack of safety is ok as long as it's not that persons ass in the hot seat...
    Odd thought process ..

being safe doesn't mean not taking risks - or even ordering people to their death. some hope and pray for a better way, but this IS the current way. There is no other way.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A little perspective always helps...
      This was flown in 1947. During the same time period the USAF / NASA / Military Contractors were losing pilots right and left on the various supersonic flight programs.

As far as I know, no one died during testing of a Ram Jet helicopter. There were crashes and injuries, but I haven't read about any deaths.
      On a related note, my Grandpa told me the story behind the very odd looking landing skids on the XV-1.
      Last edited by Aircooled; May 28, 2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

My patience for people who wag their finger at something that happened 60 years ago and would not happen now is utterly gone. Way to make an impression noob
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 28, 2016, 08:27 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There is a risk in ANYTHING motorized..
          Especially helicoptors! They have no gliding ability.. Lose power, drop like a rock..
          While a plane can land engines dead if there is a landing strip ...
          I'd still love to have a small helo..

Somebody has to be pioneers For them I give a standing ovation because no matter what they pioneer in, the "trickle down" benefits us all!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            My patience for people who wag their finger at something that happened 60 years ago and would not happen now is utterly gone. Way to make an impression noob
            Sorry, I just find it odd..
            Kinda like telling those that ran the vehicle, they can now only have it cackle at the line..
            or a vehicle that ran 200mph for laps told pack up the vehicle at a LSR event, as The lord of safety think is it's not good enough.. A Banjo Matthews chassis at that..

Comment

Rules are pretty cut and dried... if you want to argue your position send me an email... my address is in the Rule book...

Comment

Now back to this Helicopter... The Tail number tells you it was built in 1946 and the reason it doesn't have a Tail Rotor ( actual nomenclature is Anti-Torque rotor )... is because it's a ram Jet, like a Gyro Copter it doesn't produce TORQUE ... so it doesn't require "Anti" torque devices.. the Vertical fin does in fact provide stability in flight.

Helicopters do in fact GLIDE.... the rate of descent is about 1300-1800' per minute and the glide ratio is rather average.... but I can put one down without a motor with NO forward airspeed and decrease the rate of descent to near zero by trading off Airspeed and Rotor RPM just prior to touch down. the process is called an Autorotation ( I'm sure youtube has ton's of video's ) ( I teach students to do this every day ... it's part of our current curriculum
                Last edited by KeithTurk; May 30, 2016, 08:33 AM.

Comment

By the way.... The Story that Helicopters don't fly on paper is another myth...

Comment

Good to hear from you Keith. Never mind about helicopters..... what about the bumble bee ?
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Learn something new all the time..
                      I thought you would say they can glide because you teach pilots..
                      The info I read years ago must be outdated !

Keith, you need to check in on occasion I hear rumors you are a busy guy... But... Stop in and shout at us!

Comment

Gotta love a bumble bee.... Living proof that with enough HP a refrigerator can fly.

As you might remember Bob We were all part of a group that goes back to the Hot Rod message board and through Car Junkie and ultimately here, not only do I love this place and the people... I miss hanging out. unfortunately being around can also cause issues as we've seen here. I'm on Facebook and you can always reach out to me by e-mail. ( but I've even gotten fairly lax there too).... I'm fixing to build a new shop.. and have tons going on both at work and with the different racing gigs...

Comment

Compared to you all, I'm a newby...
                          Was always too busy to sit at a computer or watch tv, it's all I do anymore, besides doing derby car stuff with my kid..
                          And normal life stuff..
                          Guess you can say I got alot of catching up to do!

Comment

With 14k posts Bob... I'd say I look more like a Newby

Comment

You've been on quite a sabbatical and you still have me blown out of the water.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

And hey ! Your still a moderator !
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X