Back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to school

Well, I have an opportunity to go back to school. At 51 and two hip replacements, I just can't do the construction thing any longer. I was thinking of taking some business classes to help with the store, but I'm trying come up with something more creative. It seems like I have lived my life sideways; out of high school I built houses for a few years and then moved to a ski resort for fourteen years, kind of like an early retirement. Moved back to Michigan and got married at thirty six, now I feel like I really need to go back to school. Any suggestions?
    Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Re: Back to school

Get a nursing degree....big money around here and lots o jobs.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I agree on the medical field , maybe respiratory therapist though, not so much tugging and bending.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Get a nursing degree....big money around here and lots o jobs.

Brian
        Yeah I know, but I get kinda queezy around body fluids.

Comment

Me too...I almost ate floor when the boys were born.

Engineering?

Comment

Me too...I almost ate floor when the boys were born.

Engineering?
            I was thinking maybe architecture.

Comment

Perfect. You can do some pro bono designing a shop for me.

Brian

Comment

cad, robots, and c n c?
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I'd still recommend the business degree... it gives you the most options

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                    I'd still recommend the business degree... it gives you the most options
                    Hell I'm in construction and I wish I had a business degree! This learning things the hard way sucks.

Tim

I am 36 and run a small home improvement company. I spent 8 years in Bozeman MT to ski. (weird) Bricutus (no med terms in spell checker) in both hips has hindered me for a couple of years. They start to heal and then I have to pay a mortgage. I am actually thinking the same thing as far as school goes. I also have been looking at maintenance positions for the govt. I will keep a watch on this thread.

Any out of the box thinking is appreciated.

Perfect. You can do some pro bono designing a shop for me.

Brian
                    Brian, you probably don't need Mr Brady for a garage. Most municipal building departments have on site engineers. So if you stick to standard building practices it's pretty easy. The things they worry about are bearing members and trusses. Manufactures publish all the tech info to include with any submission. PM me and I will send you a couple I have drawn up and/or draw one for you.

Steve
                    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Stay out of architecture - a friend has been laid off two jobs in the last 3 years and is now working at a cell phone store.

If you can't do the medical thing, I'd suggest IT - only because knowing more about computers will always be a valuable skill.

You could go from general IT - to site design and web hosting type stuff to use more of your flare for design... that would be interesting work I think.

If you're planning on staying in Michigan - Engineering - unless it's chemical - bad idea - way too much competition from laid off auto workers!
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ya know this is a very timely thread. I'm a six pack away from pulling the pin on my current career, and was thinking the same thing, go back to school. My plan is to get a welding certification, take some math and business courses and see what happens.
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Hmmm, I'm thinking of going for the business degree. I am staying in Michigan because there is no way I could sell my house for a decent price right now, plus the store is still chugging along even in this economy. Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it.

Comment

business is certainly universal.... I'd look around and see if you can get a feel for what areas are growing- and see how you can fit into that area.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

become a lawyer - you don't have to practice law but it is a universal degree that can open lots of opportunities... problem with MBA degrees is everyone has one so it's hard to differentiate yourself in the workplace. I was a contractor that, after breaking his ankle, decided to get into an easier (physically) job.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X