Garage floor coating suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage floor coating suggestions

Bryan wrote about it earlier, but it's FINALLY time for the BS Mid-West headquarters (aka our garage) to go up! I've been trying to figure out the best sealer/densifier/waterproofer so the concrete doesn't end up a stained mess. So far the best option I've found is the Ghostshield 8505. I'm looking for something cost effective, easy to apply, and will protect the concrete from road salt and oil spills. Y'all have any other ideas or suggestions?
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

I decided to leave mine naked. Every thing I've heard of chips of rolls up under a floor jack except the epoxy stuff they applied at EPA - it was amazing but megabux. You might ask the concrete guys what their experience has been and also how long the 'crete needs to cure before anything is applied.

Dan

Comment

I thought garage floors were supposed to be oil stained?

just make sure you get a smooth finish, rough concrete is hard to clean.

btw I painted my garage floor with garage floor paint, it looks nice still in the areas that have never had any traffic on them. It's all messed up in the areas where I work, most of it is gone, but not all of it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We aren't staying here forever, so I'd like to keep it as non-stained as possible. The problem with talking to the concrete guy is he rarely answers his phone. It took threatening to find someone else to get him here. The stuff I found says it has to cure 28 days, so we'll have to move all of our stuff out again. Squirrel, was yours just paint or that paint plus epoxy system?
        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

I got paint on part of mine. Looks good in low/no traffic areas.
          Rolls on easy. Pour, roll, pour roll repeat till you find yourself in a corner
          If I were to do it again, I'd add traction to it, like sand. Sure is slippery, but easy to clean up spills!
          As with any floor, jacks and scrapes really stand out. Save some to "once over" when you got it up for sale...

Comment

Mine is one part paint, not epoxy. I painted the floor in the shop I rented (1989) with two part epoxy paint, it held up a little better, but not perfect. The landlord supplied the paint for that one.

A friend runs a repair shop in town, he repaints the floor every year (?) and it looks ok for a while. I don't know what kind of paint he uses on it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

If epoxy, stay away from the speckled version. If you drop something small, consider it lost untill you step on it with your bare feet 2 weeks later.
              How I know?
              www.lowlandsXtreme.com --- Facebook: lowlandsXtreme

Comment

So what are your curtain plans for the garage? will the curtains match the rug? any thought on how you're going to decorate? will it be doing seasonal themes? Inquiring minds want to know how Ms. Squatch decorates

be sure to get a nice vacuum so you can clean up the crumbs and hair from Sasquatch.
                Even the most advanced robotic vacuums are only designed to deal with dust, light dirt, and the occasional food scraps. Try to put them to work on the sawdust covered floors in your workshop and you’ll quickly find them clogged and in need of rescue. What you need instead is a robo-vac from a toolmaker like Makita.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrit View Post
                  If epoxy, stay away from the speckled version. If you drop something small, consider it lost untill you step on it with your bare feet 2 weeks later.
                  How I know?

bare feet in a garage? we really need to talk about the proper use of a garage. First rule is if you can walk across the floor, barefoot, and still have blood left in your body - it's not a real garage. Garage is for containing danger.

Comment

You're allowed to sweep the floor every now and then.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Only when your large-tire'd creeper can no longer go across the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        So what are your curtain plans for the garage? will the curtains match the rug? any thought on how you're going to decorate? will it be doing seasonal themes? Inquiring minds want to know how Ms. Squatch decorates

be sure to get a nice vacuum so you can clean up the crumbs and hair from Sasquatch.
                        Even the most advanced robotic vacuums are only designed to deal with dust, light dirt, and the occasional food scraps. Try to put them to work on the sawdust covered floors in your workshop and you’ll quickly find them clogged and in need of rescue. What you need instead is a robo-vac from a toolmaker like Makita.

Oh, you know, I was thinking some type of epoxy for the floor with a little sparkle in it. It would look so cute with my pink Craftsman tool chest and my Waterford crystal collection that will be highlighted in a custom display case. I've found some ah-mazing pink linen fabric to reupholster a chair with for some seating and *of course* there's going to be a chandelier. Go big or go home!

Seriously, Aaron? Seriously? WTF, dude?

Comment

Awww, the Mizzus don't get the banter....

Comment

Maybe she don't like being trolled....
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70 View Post

Oh, you know, I was thinking some type of epoxy for the floor with a little sparkle in it. It would look so cute with my pink Craftsman tool chest and my Waterford crystal collection that will be highlighted in a custom display case. I've found some ah-mazing pink linen fabric to reupholster a chair with for some seating and *of course* there's going to be a chandelier. Go big or go home!

Seriously, Aaron? Seriously? WTF, dude?
                              Why do you choose now to take me seriously? Of course, I also understand the delay to get McSquatch's input as to what he wanted (the crystal collection is so him).

But if you want seriously

leave it bare, paint it when you sell it. garage paint sucks, it lifts, it traps dirt, it makes rolling crap across it difficult and you get the bonus of worrying about scratching paint while you drag your hydraulic press across the shop. Not to mention that I'd bet a full 50% of garage paint is never used because of this little advice "don't paint the floor for at least 60 days after it was poured." What inevitably happens is you absolutely must store something in the shop, it leaks, and now you have to wait 90 days after the etching to coat..... so 150 days from built to use... who can wait that long? More importantly, why?

So seriously, why would you decorate a shop?
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 16, 2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X