Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion. Have people lost sight of the fun in old cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think for alot of us that grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's classic cars from those eras were real transportation that got driven everyday. Now there is a whole new generation that grew up with airbags and ABS and never knew these cars like we did. I wouldn't think twice about driving my Montego cross country or even driving it every day, rain or shine, because that's what it's done for 45 years. Younger people or ones just getting into the classic car hobby are maybe a little afraid of old cars because there are no electronic gizmos to keep them from killing themselves. I'm sure there are some 20-somethings that enjoy fixing up a 40 year old beater and driving it but more people see them as weekend toys that are expensive to restore because they lack the knowledge or skill to work on it themselves. What I hope doesn't happen is that cars like that Firebird slip through the cracks and wind up in the crusher.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      I don't know. I think I see far more old cars out on the road on a regular basis than I did 10 or even 5 years ago. A lot of stuff like mine...Just beaters and drivers...it's pretty awesome...I get so many thumbs up and looky-loos its crazy...
      It's like that where I live too, probably why I find it so disturbing that there's nothing going on with cars at night in my exact area. I literally have to trailer my car out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
        I think for alot of us that grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's classic cars from those eras were real transportation that got driven everyday. Now there is a whole new generation that grew up with airbags and ABS and never knew these cars like we did. I wouldn't think twice about driving my Montego cross country or even driving it every day, rain or shine, because that's what it's done for 45 years. Younger people or ones just getting into the classic car hobby are maybe a little afraid of old cars because there are no electronic gizmos to keep them from killing themselves. I'm sure there are some 20-somethings that enjoy fixing up a 40 year old beater and driving it but more people see them as weekend toys that are expensive to restore because they lack the knowledge or skill to work on it themselves. What I hope doesn't happen is that cars like that Firebird slip through the cracks and wind up in the crusher.
        That new car VS old car thing doesn't bother me. It's when none of them are out on the streets on a Friday or Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          who's working a full time job? Not me

seems not many guys have any gumption these days. I had fun today, driving my 59 edsel up to Tucson and back to see how it does in record heat. It made the trip. I have a little over 2k in the car, and a few weeks work. It's ugly, but a lot of folks smiled when they saw it.
          I think my point was lost in translation ..

Comment

could be!
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              Younger people or ones just getting into the classic car hobby are maybe a little afraid of old cars because there are no electronic gizmos to keep them from killing themselves..
              Part of it (even for me) was growing up, I plug in the OBD scanner to nearly all my cars, it tells me something of whats wrong. Old cars, my generation isnt as well versed in roadside diagnosis and repairs. Hell, Im nervous driving my Jeep on the 2000 miles trip home.

Local person
              sigpic

Comment

I'm just glad things changed since the 80's and you don't have to have a perfect car to be part of the hobby, you don't get snubbed as much, your primer or fading paint with rust spots or rot holes are not completely looked down on,
                Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; June 21, 2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
                  It's when none of them are out on the streets on a Friday or Saturday night.

That is my complaint with the people around here. Nobody drives them. Go out on Friday or Saturday night, and if you don't go to a bar, there is nobody out. Its a freaking ghost town. Doesn't matter what time of year it is, I am almost always the only car out looking for trouble, and definitely the only old car out at night. Of course, most of these guys just buy them, put them in a garage, and only drive them to shows. They do zero work on them, and have no desire to. They buy whatever they find, and keep it as garage art until that one show where they take it out, sit in a lawn chair, and then go home.

For living in Michigan, and it supposed to be the car capital, there is a dearth of activity here. At least the 4x4 guys are out beating the snot out of their junk. Mud drags all summer, all over the UP.

But that is a different issue, I know these people suck. I like the area, the view, the weather, but not the people.

Comment

I find the biggest problem I see right now with old cars is it is slowly fading away and many younger people who are interested in cars are looking for cars they remember growing up which means cars from the 79's and up though the 90's.

When they look at cars before that time period they really don't seem to have feeling for them.

The cars shows I have been seem to have an older group of guys in there 50's and 60's and most of these guys seem to agree that it's cheaper right now to purchase a car unless you simply want to spend the next few years building one yourself so you can say you build it!!!

I have seen so many of my friends spent anywhere between $40,000 and $80,000 dollars only to sell it a few years after it's build for $25,000 grand.

I think it's just the times we are living in but right now cars are wonderful to have and drive but not easy to get any return on your investment.

Just my opinion.
                    Jim Hill

Comment

I think about something like my '92 Olds. It's not old enough, despite being nearly a classic car it still looks fairly modern. Driving it, I get cut off by other drivers more than when I drive my Trailblazer. Some cars will always be seen as enthusiast cars, the general population, or dumbmasses, not understanding. Maybe the current generation's lack of interest in cars in general and record fatherlessness have a connection?
                      Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                      1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                      1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

Part of the problem is that some folks think about roi. Old cars are an expense, not an investment. have fun with them.
                        Last edited by squirrel; June 21, 2016, 11:06 AM.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Times have simply changed. Back when if you wanted a social life you had the choice of tying-up the single family phone (not acceptable for males), having your parents drive you places (...again), or manning-up and earning the resources to get your own ride. It was a rite of passage, the car naturally became a symbol of how resourceful you were whether that meant money or hard-work/creativity, with more being better. Holley carbs were hi-tech, an advance curve kit cost about three hours' work at minimum wage, anybody could do it if they wanted. There was a lot of interest and energy feeding into the car culture, drag strips everywhere...wide-open highways and mountain roads were a national pride.

Now it's all social media on devices made in Chinese factories which you throw out every couple of years. You can make some money inventing them or selling them and never get your shirt dirty, but that is as deep as you will ever get into the mechanics of the things. And, everybody who used to look at the kids who spent all day in all situations buried in their phones and said "I will never be like that", became that. It's like being surrounded by zombies...and there's not many of us non-zombies left.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
                            I find the biggest problem I see right now with old cars is it is slowly fading away and many younger people who are interested in cars are looking for cars they remember growing up which means cars from the 79's and up though the 90's.

When they look at cars before that time period they really don't seem to have feeling for them.

The cars shows I have been seem to have an older group of guys in there 50's and 60's and most of these guys seem to agree that it's cheaper right now to purchase a car unless you simply want to spend the next few years building one yourself so you can say you build it!!!

I have seen so many of my friends spent anywhere between $40,000 and $80,000 dollars only to sell it a few years after it's build for $25,000 grand.

I think it's just the times we are living in but right now cars are wonderful to have and drive but not easy to get any return on your investment.

Just my opinion.
                            Jim Hill
                            No different than those that were in high school in the late 60's early 70's.. They bought what they had back then or wish they had back then..

One must remember it is hard for some of the younger crowd to find a stock muscle car cool, when a new camery can wax it.. and still turn and stop..
                            Or look at the elite muscle.. like the ls6 and see the buy in,,, or get a newer BMW or the chevy SS or older Pontiac G8 that can make the king of the g.m. muscle look slow, never mind turning or braking at speed..

Today is no different than the muscle car days.... back then, some bought a new muscle car instead of building a rod.. today, those that are younger and like speed, walk in to the dealership and buy A fast, slot car handling vehicle with a warranty, sure you can say it has no soul, has no character.. but I'll counter, that today, that is a good thing, as you can blend in when you are honing it. Times have changed and so have the laws and fines for enjoyment of the feeling of speed on the roads..
                            The car guy/gal need for speed junky has no connection to the 64-74 muscle car years... Think about it, most call the 1972 model year the last true muscle cars, that was Fourty four going on fourty five years ago!!!!!!!!!!!
                            If you go drive a muscle car , then go drive a new chevy SS or ford mustang, etc.. and take the connection of youthful memories out of it. even those that grew up in the muscle car era, would pick the newer rockets.. as they are faster, handle better, and are better to use in day to day.

We are in the 2nd h.p war and very lucky for it as many wrote off any type of power being factory installed never mind base power over 300 hp out of a v6!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is happening today, is what happened in the first muscle car days.. store bought that they could use daily,, over the hot rod that wasn't so great for daily use by then..

History is just repeating itself.. enjoy it, as the new C.A.F.E. ratings are going to bring the mighty v8 into a very elite buyers..

Being one of those that was in high school in the mid to late 80's and dreamed of the vehicles on the dealers lots at that time, and them only having 200 hp tops..
                            I think we, this group is more ready for the 200-250 hp turbo 4 Camaro and mustang than the older muscle car guys..

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

That is my complaint with the people around here. Nobody drives them. Go out on Friday or Saturday night, and if you don't go to a bar, there is nobody out. Its a freaking ghost town. Doesn't matter what time of year it is, I am almost always the only car out looking for trouble, and definitely the only old car out at night. Of course, most of these guys just buy them, put them in a garage, and only drive them to shows. They do zero work on them, and have no desire to. They buy whatever they find, and keep it as garage art until that one show where they take it out, sit in a lawn chair, and then go home.

For living in Michigan, and it supposed to be the car capital, there is a dearth of activity here. At least the 4x4 guys are out beating the snot out of their junk. Mud drags all summer, all over the UP.

But that is a different issue, I know these people suck. I like the area, the view, the weather, but not the people.
                              Pros & cons. Out here they just did a write up about the college kids that have to bail after they graduate because of the pay. Take your car out to Flint and you'll have a blast. Spent many of nights there street racing.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                                I think we, this group is more ready for the 200-250 hp turbo 4 Camaro and mustang than the older muscle car guys..
                                don't you mean 300 hp turbo 4 cyl Camaros and Mustangs?
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X