Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be like Finnegan

Oh good grief this

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER LEAVE A GAS BOTTLE UNCHAINED, STANDING WITHOUT ITS CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell, I know places where they will fire you if they see you leave a bottle WITH it's cap on without you keeping a hand on the top...

my goodness, that shit will kill you.

you know that really expensive boat and motor.... imagine what would happen if his bottle fell over....

no need to imagine - and this is a small bottle....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 21, 2016, 07:10 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I'm sure your shop is 100% osha compliant ?

You do understand some things in you tube land are done for click bait.. right?

hook, line and sinker

Comment

At least he has finally discovered real beer.

Yuengling for the win! (can't believe getting over Corona took so long)

Last edited by STINEY; June 21, 2016, 07:32 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

he didn't mention NPTF fittings either.
        they should not need anything extra for gas setups of any kind.

an infected open bottle can be vac pumped with an air conditioner vac pump.
        take it to 29 inches, let it sit for a few minutes.
        this also adds a physic trick at normal air pressure, NOS is more gaseous on exit.
        pure and true.

not that I will ever use it.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 21, 2016, 07:38 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You cannot haul a torch tank of any kind with the regulators hooked up..
          I got pulled over trying to make the scrap yard before closing time my O2 bottle is 2 feet higher than my backboard..
          It was chained and bungyed.
          The cop said I needed a special cover or to take the regulator off every time I moved..
          Showed me pics of damage done by bottles that flew..
          A full O2 bottle is what? 3,000psi? my portable tank's guage stopped working and had it full, I thought it went empty because it was just filled, I took the hose clamp off to fix what I thought was a leaky hose and it was a pretty severe blast of air to me.. Think of 100# vs 3,000#...
          Anybody who thinks a tank is not dangerous is a fool!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            You cannot haul a torch tank of any kind with the regulators hooked up..
            I got pulled over trying to make the scrap yard before closing time my O2 bottle is 2 feet higher than my backboard..
            It was chained and bungyed.
            The cop said I needed a special cover or to take the regulator off every time I moved..
            Showed me pics of damage done by bottles that flew..
            A full O2 bottle is what? 3,000psi? my portable tank's guage stopped working and had it full, I thought it went empty because it was just filled, I took the hose clamp off to fix what I thought was a leaky hose and it was a pretty severe blast of air to me.. Think of 100# vs 3,000#...
            Anybody who thinks a tank is not dangerous is a fool!
            They are not as dangerous as one might think...
            Myth busters did a show on it...

Most times, the tanks/bottles go boom is from being subjected to heat, and popping the valve clean off..
            Most times they are also chained and can't move,the bottle outlet can't move enough volume to make it a missle unless you enclose the area around the outlet.. a bottle dropping on an open floor will not rocket through a wall,

The cop told you, you can't move with the regulator on, yet can move without a hazard card/sign/flag on vehicle..
            Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; June 21, 2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

A major part of our yearly safety training. We had a guy like Peewee (though he didn't have the HR part) who's job was to keep us up to speed on bottle handling (we had HUNDREDS of bottles full of all kinds of nasty stuff as well as air and O2). We also got fire training including putting out metal fires (Type 4 extinguisher IIRC) as well as fall protection, etc.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

They are not as dangerous as one might think...
                Myth busters did a show on it...

Most times, the tanks/bottles go boom is from being subjected to heat, and popping the valve clean off..
                Most times they are also chained and can't move,the bottle outlet can't move enough volume to make it a missle unless you enclose the area around the outlet.. a bottle dropping on an open floor will not rocket through a wall,

The cop told you, you can't move with the regulator on, yet can move without a hazard card/sign/flag on vehicle..

did you even watch the 2nd video?

mythbusters did do a show, they chopped the valve off and didn't find anything? .... here, let's remind

blow throw a concrete wall.... and unless it's your head that it hits, it won't even slow down if it hits you.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 21, 2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Of the 5 cylinders in my shop, only one is big enough to have threads for a cap...I live dangerously.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hey , he was trying to be safe , he had saftey glasses and gloves . Nobody's perfect . Drop him a line .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Interesting how those German guys first started with using a sledgehammer to knock the valve off, but then started coming up with ways to get further and further away. Like someone had decided - "Wait, what are we thinking with being right next to this when it goes off?"
                      Last edited by Matt Cramer; June 22, 2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Well I finally got around to watching that, portions anyhow. Yeah, in all my time around shops...starting as a kid, my big bro worked as an "industrial arts" teacher at times...I have never seen a gas bottle sit on the floor unrestrained with the cap off. I don't know how NOS guys do it but in any normal facility such casual handling of what amounts to a bomb that could go off would get you some pretty harsh treatment up at the supervisor's office, not to mention leery co-workers. But, happily, this is only a guy in his garage on the internet..."teach" on, dude, and get those views. Don't hurt yourself...

If you can't chain to the wall at least get one of these and have a little more floor support. OSHA cares about you and will smile. Not expensive.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	gas cart.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1110159

Last edited by Loren; June 22, 2016, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I've was chuckling, though, that he was so spun up about freeze burns from the gas yet had the bottle standing there free - right next to his very expensive boat. Even if it didn't manage to knock the valve off; re-doing boat paint is expensive. Oh well, he's a big YouTube actor, I'm sure he can afford it.

A fun game might be to come up with all the ways it could go wrong with the free standing bottle.
                          - chipped paint
                          - knocked off valve
                          - pulling $1,000 worth of nitros filling equipment off the table
                          - pulling both bottles off then knocking the top off both bottles (now he has to jump 2 flying bottles)
                          - running that bottle square through the really nice, new bandsaw he featured last time (was impressed he got it through the door).
                          - killing his camera-wife (depth perception sucks when you're paying attention to the camera display)

etc.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 22, 2016, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Well he obviously made it through OK this time and whatever other times, but the reason for the thing called good-shop-practice is for when matters aren't going so well or the unexpected happens. The mfg. industry is generally pretty common-sense, they don't have time for b.s. so there are few rules made that are not the result of some disaster having happened, once. This guy bugged me long ago by trying to teach what he himself was unqualified to do, I don't really follow him. Sounds kinda snotty and of-course we all know that craftsmen tend to knock each other's efforts but so it goes. He shouldn't be handling bottles like that on camera.

Comment

you mean that someone might trip over the hose and knock the big bottle down?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X