No announcement yet.

Don't be like Finnegan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finnegan finally tried to address the bottle issue by saying that it was ... well, his words
    HTML Code:
      Finnegan's Garage
    Jun 23, 2016   

the bottle was in the middle of the shop so could see it. otherwise its safely secured to the wall.

um, if you're gonna show us how to properly fill a bottle; wouldn't you show us how to do it safely? lol. I get paid by people who say "well, I was just demonstrating x, and it went badly".... two kinds of people in this world, examples, and warnings. Don't be a warning.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 26, 2016, 09:13 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

did you even watch the 2nd video?

mythbusters did do a show, they chopped the valve off and didn't find anything? .... here, let's remind

blow throw a concrete wall.... and unless it's your head that it hits, it won't even slow down if it hits you.
      You did see, how they had to form a tunnel to get the tank to move fast enough..
      right..

Comment

Finnegan finally tried to address the bottle issue by saying that it was ... well, his words
        HTML Code:
         Finnegan's Garage
        Jun 23, 2016

the bottle was in the middle of the shop so could see it. otherwise its safely secured to the wall.

um, if you're gonna show us how to properly fill a bottle; wouldn't you show us how to do it safely? lol. I get paid by people who say "well, I was just demonstrating x, and it went badly".... two kinds of people in this world, examples, and warnings. Don't be a warning.

Can you please you tube a scan of your shop. so we can see how osha it is???

He did the same thing most tech shows do, they remove things that might make it hard to see...
        and in his case hard to film... I know he should've per you have a 20 thousand dollar hd camera and 2-5k in lighting gear to film his video's..

You didn't comment on the yahoo, bottle filling,, That isn't really safe,, And Mike addressed that.. so maybe you couldn't find fault there..

You might want to sell all your shop stuff, as crap happens even to those that are 100% anal on safety..

Comment

This is going to be interesting...
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

heh, Mayberry's rant reminds me of this song

as if somehow what's in my shop makes what Finnegan did okay? sorry buddy, your girlfriend isn't better then that.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 27, 2016, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I'm sure glad our nanny is looking after us
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

we're all running amok. Amok, I tell ya and it's awesome!

Comment

heh, Mayberry's rant reminds me of this song

as if somehow what's in my shop makes what Finnegan did okay? sorry buddy, your girlfriend isn't better then that.

Those in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones...
                  Didn't anyone teach you that.. So yes what is in your shop, how you do things, matters..
                  pot meet kettle..

And after reading your project builds that are awesome, by the way..
                  you of all people shouldn't be commenting on anyone else's lack of always being 100% safe..

Or are you one of those people that live by the "don't do as I do, do as I say" ?
                  Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; June 28, 2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Now I have an earworm featuring Sarah Jessica Parker in Hocus Pocus repeating "Amok, amok, amok."

Its not all bad though. I actually liked that bit.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Really, I've seen lots of pics of SBG's shop, none of mayberrys..
                      I'll build a bomb in SBG's.. It'll be safer..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Really, I've seen lots of pics of SBG's shop, none of mayberrys..
                        I'll build a bomb in SBG's.. It'll be safer..
                        My shop is the driveway.. I am not blessed with sq.footage of shop..
                        Steaming hot asphalt , and the sun making the metal hotter than __________..
                        Go, look at your driveway.. look you've seen mine..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                          Well I finally got around to watching that, portions anyhow. Yeah, in all my time around shops...starting as a kid, my big bro worked as an "industrial arts" teacher at times...I have never seen a gas bottle sit on the floor unrestrained with the cap off. I don't know how NOS guys do it but in any normal facility such casual handling of what amounts to a bomb that could go off would get you some pretty harsh treatment up at the supervisor's office, not to mention leery co-workers. But, happily, this is only a guy in his garage on the internet..."teach" on, dude, and get those views. Don't hurt yourself...

If you can't chain to the wall at least get one of these and have a little more floor support. OSHA cares about you and will smile. Not expensive.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1110159[/ATTACH]

ever watch the video on how they make these?
                          the top is stretched shut at red hot, then drilled even weaker.

it should be stronger, unless its the scraper like this video.

that is when you get this:

Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Those bottles in the top vid are the high-quality stuff, deep-drawn cold in repeated hits and annealed between stages, then reduced down by spinning under optimum conditions. The bottles we normally see for oxy-acet and such that have the groove marks running down the side were red-hot blobs stuffed down a die in one shot, more like "extruding" than drawing, the hot metal tends to gall on the die and thus the marks. The ends can be closed up by press swaging, or spinning may still be the method of choice for closing up the end (you can tell by marking which method was used)...did you know spinning is rarely used to increase the diameter of a round shape or vessel, it's almost always to reduce and even close up entirely. Many parts on a spinning machine will have a very skilled operator holding a big gas torch as well as the forming tools, to keep the heat right where needed, but on a lower-quality high-production part such as gas cylinders that process is done before it ever cools and there won't need to be that kind of manual involvement.

How can a bottle that holds 1500+ psi not be "high-quality"? It's made up for by material thickness. That is why they're heavier than sh*t.

The failures are, as far as I know, always at the threaded fittings at top. Theoretically it's possible for a bottle body to get rotten enough to let go, so they do the hydro-test thing on schedule when the bottles are filled, and you can tell by the date and all the "plus" or star marks, etc., what the test history on an individual bottle is.

Yeah that Russian(?) incident...what a mess.
                            Last edited by Loren; June 28, 2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X